Using the Nu Vinci hub?

Broken lock

After further inspection, I found that the washer with the locks that prevent the axle from turning in the dropouts is broken into two pieces. That is why I lost the lug nut..... Wow that is the right side (the largest diameter) Not sure if this can be corrected. There is also what appears to be trans fluid or whatever the fluid is inside the hub on the linkage spline. I think I may have a BROKEN NuVinci. That really s ucks. I got about 75 miles at the most out of it. I'm going to try to get it replaced. That will be another royal pain to have another wheel laced.

What a set-back. Bummer. I had hoped that you were going to report that the NV was the answer to our dreams.

Sorry to hear it.
The NV hub is being considered for the next build.
Please keep us apprised.

drop out damage

I had this same damage to another bike by a disk brake caliper mount from Quickspeed. It was totally supported by the drop out. I repaired the damage by removing the mount & welding a metal mount to the frame. You should have seen it to believe it. It opened the drop out to about an inch. There is a lot of force from a brake & it really messed up my rear end. The NuVinci relies 100% on the fit into both drop outs. I should have doubled the strength on both sides before this happened. If you are thinking about the NV you'd be wise to check your drop outs for strength. None of my bikes look strong enough. Or maybe my clutch engages too hard & it just can't take the forces. I will try replacing the locks with stronger ones if I can find some. Any suggestions???

No suggestions from me...sorry.

Only thing that comes to mind is that steel drop outs are much stronger than aluminum ones.

Call David Staton on Monday and post what he offers.

Could we see pics of the damage? I'm having a little trouble getting my tiny mind around how this happened.

pics

My better half took the camera on vaca. I won't have it till next week. The square sides of the axle have washers with prongs (locks) that engage the dropouts. Mine are steel. They twisted in the dropouts & broke the washer on the right side. That made the wheel loose & so the left side lug just spun off. I really can't tell if the hub is damaged. There is some oil but it's not dripping out so maybe it's OK. I'll call Staton tomorrow. Makes me just sick!

too much

I have been told that this hub will not take more than a 1.6 HP motor... WTF I guess that I have voided my warranty. Don't see it anywhere & yes I have looked at the fine print. Hey Van don't even think about using this with that Lifan... You will be the second to tear one up. I am the first. Staton makes torsion bars for it. So my bike will be set up with dual torsion bars to handle my whopping 47 cc POS motor. So you want to know how I really feel??? What a FREAKIN waste of $$$$$$$$$$

All the Staton NV kits exceed the max torque rating.

Zomby Builder,

I sense some ambiguity on Staton's part regarding the maximum input torque for the NuVinci hub.

They told you 1.6 hp max, yet they sell the Mitsubishi 43cc kit paired with the NuVinci hub which certainly develops more than 1.6.

Reading on the NuVinci site or the Staton site http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3216 (see last paragraph, right before the price), the actual max is given as 1.3 NM torque, not hp. Well the Robin Subaru EHOC 35 puts out 1.76 NM or 35% more than the max. Again Staton offers the R/S 35 engine with the NuVinci. Only the engines in the 25 cc range are within the maximum torque range indicated.

Wish I had noticed these numbers soon enough to be of some help. I just looked for them today, after seeing your post.

Again. Bummer. It looks like the Nu Vinci might only be useful on a casual cruiser, or medium range commuter. Definately not for those who like the feeling of acceleration. Per your earlier advice, I wasn't considering it for the trike, but I had been thinking of other possible uses. It's off the table now.

Back