Using the Nu Vinci hub?

Thank's to you,Zombie,this thread is worth 400 dollars. 400 dollars that others won't spend.
It really ***** that you found out the hard way about the integrity of this hub. But on the same breath,Nu Vinci in essense used you as a test mule to the strenght of this hub. Like you said,there is nothing on print as to what this hub can take because NOBODY REALLY KNEW what this hub could handle. Before this,everyone thought this hub was invincible.
I'm no lawyer,but maybe in small claims court you can get back some of your money. Just one witness on your side that heard the dealer said anything about this hub being indestructable and you have a case. Just the fact that nothing's in writing as to how much this can take would be considered a manufacture's defect.
In any event,you should be able to get some compensation back.

In Print

It is in print LF. I just didn't see it until Mtn Goat pointed it out to me. I didn't know how much 1.3 NM of torque was untill he told me either. But who is going to put a 25cc motor on their bike anyways?? That rules out most pockets and the happy time too. Well I want to feel some HP. So I'm going to install the torsion bars & if I completely destroy this hub, I'll still send it back to them.

I am reading the technical manual & it says:

The NuVinci Technology components are intended to be used only in the rear wheel of the bicycle for usual and customary rear rear wheel purposes.
(WHAT IS USUAL & CUSTOMARY ABOUT MY BIKE?)
BLAH BLAH BLAH it goes on to say: If you do not want to be bound by these terms nd conditions, you must return the product to the place of purchase within 3 days for a full refund.

I guess it's the same old story BUYER BEWARE!! I voided the 3 year warranty already. It's still twisted because according to my written manual & the warning of no more than 1.3 NM of torque, If you put more than about a 25 cc motor on your bike you void the warranty. I just used more HP & to tell the truth I wanted to use EVEN MORE HP!!! I now wished that I had so I wouldn't need this hub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Zombie,
I am interested in using a NuVinci hub on a future bike project. I am reading about your problem, but from other posts about Zack, isn't your motor rated at 4.2 HP? I only plan on using about a 1.5 to 2 HP motor, so please keep us posted on your hub problem. A friend told me those NuVinci hubs were rated at 95 foot pounds of torque and didn't see how any bike motor could come any where near that. He said a small econo car barely puts out that much torque.

We also could be totally wrong about the torque ratings. We aren't experts!

I didn't strip the hub. I opened up the bikes dropouts.

Reading on the NuVinci site or the Staton site
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3216 (see last paragraph, right before the price),

Will somebody Please clarify these numbers? How much is 130 NMs of torque???? I was told that I exceeded this & voided my warranty.

A torque rating of 130 NM or 95.81 lb/ft is more than a 1970 VOLKSWAGEN 1600cc 60 hp engine could muster.

You did NOT overpower the NuVinci hub, according to STATON'S specifications.

Myron

5-7.....I think in an earlier post it was 1.3 NM not 130 NM....In either case I wish they would use Ft/ Lbs....difficult for me to think in terms of metric but I guess it depends on who makes the stuff and where they are from as to what figures they give (i.e. metric vs english)...Oh well.

Andrew

:cool:Hi Andy,

I'm simply referencing to information posted in ZOMBY'S link to STATON'S website.

Myron

Is it really 130 Nm and not 1.3?

I misplaced the decimal point. Actually, I overlooked it. Multiply my numbers by 100, LOL. But wait, which number actually makes sense for a bicycle hub? 130 or 1.3?

130 is so incredibly high, so out of the realm of bicycles, that I subconcisously adjusted it. It still doesn't make sense to me. Could NuVinci have overlooked the decimal? How does this jive with the other statement about torque limitations:

*Maximum input torque: 130 Nm at the hub; Minimum Allowable "Front Chain ring" / "Rear Sprocket" ratio: 2.0:1

Like it can handle 130 Nm torque, but not less than 2/1 front pedal chain to rear sprocket? Like my legs with the leverage of the crank arms are going to exceed 130 NM, LOL.

BTW, here's a simple energy unit calculator, if you want to use ft lbs or whatever: http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/conversion/energy.htm

Is it the NuVinci, or the bike?

So Zombie Builder has found that the axle wants to turn under high torque conditions, and he can't keep the dropouts tight.

Is this problem caused by the way the NuVinci works, or would the same thing happen with a conventional hub, if enough torque was applied. Like say with a fixed gear ratio of 60 to 1? What about with a conventional 3 speed (or more) hub?

Zombie Builder, didn't you say you've used a Nexus internal hub without problems? Did you subject it to the same high torque conditions as you have to the NuVinci? Any problems?

Here's an explanation from the Staton site:
Make sure your bike frame has the correct drop outs. You must make sure the NuVinci hub does not spin in your drop outs. The axle MUST be held tight. The axle wants to turn CCW in the 5% under drive and the higher range the axle wants to turn CW - forward. Your bike frame must be heavy duty enough to hold the axle from turning while under torque from the engine and or rider. Read more about the NuVinci hub on our web site if you do not understand.
Be sure and look at the NuVinci CVP Torsion Bar Set to see how to install then and they come with this kit. http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3242

Seems to indicate it's the NuVinci, doesn't it? I hope not, I want one. :(

I know from reading Zomb's previous posts on this hub, he loved it and said he was going to really test it out. One post he remarked that he could almost do a wheelie. So my guess is that Zomb's been working this hub to the max. I don't blame him. There is something in all of us that wants to see how much something can take. So, without using the torsion bar kit, it makes sense that the axle would eventually twist seeing how the only thing holding it on is how much you strong arm the nuts that hold it to the bike.

I don't think it is the Nuvinci hub that is the problem. I think any hub would have twisted under this type of pressure.

Back