Value for money "landings"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My flights are always so boring.
    I want action and some 'real' in-flight entertainment.

Screaming passengers wailing for their lives - now that's my kind of landing!
    I would pay extra for a better kind of service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcS89Ktbxeo

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Well, from the aircrafts attitude on landing I'd bet on one heck of a crosswind. That really wasn't all that bad a landing.

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

For a cross wind, it may have been a good landing, but unlike my uneventful trips, those passengers at least get a value added flight by means of almost tearing out the undercarriage.

That's my kind of landing!

I demand similar service from my flight provider!
    Safety, safety, safety - that's all i ever hear on my boarding flights - i've had a gutful of excessive nancy boy safety babble.

Dammit, i want action.
    At very least for the oxygen masks to explode from their stowage bays on landing.

Fabian

4. SimpleSimon

You want high risk flights?

Buy an ultra-light aircraft, and go flying in winds greater than its stall speed. There's a real adrenaline rush for you!

5. Elmo

Elmo Member

Sure is and putting it back on the ground in one piece is even more so.
    Elmo (former ultralight pilot)

6. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

I rode home from NYC last week in a major storm--gusts to 50 kts, sideways rain . . .the whole thing. I never seen so many people puke on one flight.

Like my old buddy in the Civil Air Patrol said--any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

7. SimpleSimon

What did you fly, Elmo?

My brother and I had a Pterodactyl I kit built ultralight - spent 3 months putting that thing together, and hundreds of hours flying it, until he landed at dusk one evening in a large pasture and a black angus steer bolted under him as he flared for landing. His wife put her foot down, said no more of that, and we sold the damaged aircraft to a friend so he could rebuild it.

I flew it from the Willamette valley to Pendleton for the big rodeo there, the Pendleton Round-Up, and got permission to land it in the atrena for an intermission demo one afternoon. The landing was easy, as there was a steady 5-7 knot northeast wind, until I dropped into the wind shadow of the stands on flare. Taking back off was kind of hairy, as the steady wind was making a rolling horizontal vortex right in front of the stands. I got my brother (who'd driven in) to get on the roof with a pillow sack of straw chaff and dump it off the edge to get a clear visual of the vortex. That helped a bunch.

Flying in high winds is hairy stuff in light and ultralight aircraft. I backed a J3 Cub down onto the runway at Bakersfield once, with guys ready to run in from each side and grab a strut to keep it from doing a backflip when I cut the throttle. That was very hairy indeed.

8. Elmo

Elmo Member

Simon
    Eipper MX with a 35 hp rotax 2 stroke. One of my flying buddys had a hard landing trying to do a parachute landing, he had a headwind just over the stall speed and was letting the ultralite sink vertically. Didn't keep an eye on how fast he was sinking and hit really hard. One of the wheels and landing broke off and bounced through the wing. I do not remember the make of his plane but it was fully enclosed with some silver fabric. I later took lessons and flew a few years then quit. It was taking too much time and money from shooting IHMSA silhouette.
    Elmo

9. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Back seat pilot! (from economy class no less) :jester:

FWIW - I didn't hear any screaming and wailing for their lives. :)

10. SimpleSimon

Back when I was 14, and my little sister was 12, we had occasion to fly from Portland, Oregon to OKC. We flew on 'student stand-by' status, which worked just fine from Portland - we rode the same aircraft my folks were flying full-fare on. At Denver we got put off the aircraft because they had paying passengers for our seats, and Dad made me promise not to leave my sister or to let us be separated for the flight on.

We stooged around the old Stapleton airport from about 5:30 pm till nearly 10 pm when we finally got seats. Not too long after take-off the pilot ordered everyone into their seats, and seat belts buckled, as we were coming into a thunderstorm line too wide to go around and too high to go over - he was basically threading his way between storm cells. Boy, what a ride! We hit a downdraft at one point so strong that the cabin was basically in free-fall - I had a window seat and was watching the wings on that 727 flap like a pigeon. Anyway, at three different points we lost cabin lights, twice the oxygen masks deployed, and we bounced all over the sky.

I was seated in a window seat with a 60-something lady and her husband in the other two seats, and both of them were on the ragged edge of panic several times - the lady gasping out short, sharp screams. I was enjoying myself hugely. When we got on the ground at OKC she asked me how I could laugh and whoop in obvious enjoyment when she was utterly terrified? I just told her that I was of the opinion that since I could do nothing to change the circumstances, I might as well enjoy them. That was a great flight.