VERY early example of overseas Whizzer... (photo)

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by Yaquina143, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Yaquina143

Yaquina143 New Member

In my research regarding Whizzer use by the military (which as it turns out never really happened) I stumbled onto this photo.

This was taken in May of 1949 in occupied Japan. It is of a regular civilian Whizzer that was hit by an MP' Jeep.

Thought you all might find it interesting.

Attached Files:

2. Is that a license plate back there?

3. cory

cory Guest

That Sucks!

The worst kind of road rash!

4. Hollywood

Hollywood Guest

Was anyone hurt?

5. Rhett

Rhett Member

Help!!

IV'E fallen and can't get up!!

6. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

check out these bikes from the 40's and 50's been sold by a dealer in the uk. surfing threw them you will find most of todays drives in their earlier forms. Its got great pics and plenty of inspiration for all you builders out there.

http://www.autocycles.co.uk/autocycle_a-z.htm

7. Mokanracer

Mokanracer New Member

Amazing Old Mtr Bikes!!

Thanks for sharing. I sure got a lesson in history :)

8. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

That's one of my favourite sites :grin:

9. Rhett

Rhett Member

Fyi

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond! We are looking forward to returning to the states, we have been here in Germany for over 5 years now and although we are officially here for at least 2-4 more years, we can go any time that the opportunity presents itself.( an opportunity is now open for FT.Bragg N.Carolina) I really am greatly interestrd in all of the many concepts you have offered regarding gas powered bikes!! I really do want to get involved and hope to be as good at it as so many of you are. The wife and I have a new Mini -Cooper and I have a fully restored MG( cars) but I have a soft spot in my heart for a gas powered bike of sorts, I am 54 years old and I remember a neighbor of mine zipping around on a whizzer way back when, delivering news papers in the early 60s. I thought that I might like to Just buy a fully restored version of that, I know that would be a 'cop out' of sorts, and then I saw 'Spooky tooths' models and thought that may be a way to go,( Quarve) I don't know, what do you all think? I have had some motor cycles in the past, but I would really like something smaller and more ' Bike, Like).. In my real life, I am a military pilot and respect good quality machines, but that does not mean that I am a good mechanic, I really am not,, just a basic screw driver and pliers sort of guy, so to speak and not as nearly good as you all are at these things. I am well versed in electronics ( not that that will do me any good here) but that could perhaps be useful in some small way as I go along. Thanks for (in advance) for any of you willing to point me in the right direction, and I hope to hear from any one in these regards,, Rhett

10. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

If you transfer to NC, get a Whizzer and we can go riding when you visit the NC beaches.
    Many from Ft Bragg come here for vacation & to get away for the weekend, come on down...........
    Have Fun
    Whizzer OuterBanks,
    Quenton