Very First Build

This is my first motorized bicycle
I have a couple scooters I ride so im not new to that sort of thing, and in the past ive owned many types of motorcycles.

Figured I would try one of these out. Im sure I got a cheap eninge, and bike. Im only into this under $500 which in the scooter world is a set of front shocks

New beach cruiser coming in any day so I wont post pics until it shows, since I had 2 colors to choose from. I did get the engine locally new so I have pics of that.

Also a set of brakes and levers too

Well got the bike in today and got it about 90% built
it runs I just need to finish the front brake, some wiring
few little things
Just wanted to get it running to start breaking it in

Started right up, only the idle was set super low
I never built anything like this and had very little instructions
Ive seen some come with some mine had none

The rear wheel beat me down, took like 4 hours to get the sprocket set, and ground out
Wish I had a lathe

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5iKbU5pm24

SAM_0722.jpg

SAM_0721.jpg

SAM_0720.jpg

Ran into my first issue
was hauling butt trying to get over into a left turn lane when all of a sudden the engine cut out. For a second I thought I seized but I could hear it turning as it died

Pedaled through the intersection and it wouldnt start
Turned out the plug cap was loose. I pull it off and a brass plug is stuck on my spark plug. The internals came out.

Pushed it on and started up. Called the guy I got the kit from and he said thats common, just glue it in. I did but the glue took away the wire to metal contact. Of course I couldnt pull it out as its glued very well.

Found a old scooter I had too the boot off. It uses a large coil of spring with an end that presses into the plug wire. So I got that put on, have to use the little threaded cap now on my spark plug for that wire to fit but runs great now.

Only issue so far.

Another issue
Went riding at night thankfully only around the block when the clutch screw fell out of my lever. So I had 3/4 clutch engaged somehow. Had to hold the lever on the engine and get home without stopping. I just didnt want to push it back home

Got some more parts, enhanced clutch pads not those rubber types
new headlight 700 lumens, new fuel line, ngk spark plug and automobile spark plug wire since just to make sure im not going to run into anymore problems with that.

SAM_0737.jpg

SAM_0749.jpg

waiting on a few more parts, some for the carb and a dual brake lever

Got more parts in today
Added a larger air filter, did get 2 jets for it
Tried the 74 at first, seemed to lack in top speed
didnt bog enough like ive felt on scooters but maybe I just didnt go too large at first
tried the 72 and it seemed to run like normal, so I will keep it there and check the plug
From what I can figure out stock is a 70

At first the filter was too large to fit so I cut down the metal intake a touch
then bent in the bottom half of the filter and it fit, but after tightening it all up it fits great, even though the bottom is bent inwards a little
but this way it comes out if I take the intake off

Put on the dual brake lever, and a centerstand
Not sure how to adjust the brake lever or which line goes where
But it does stop me

Found my exhaust gasket was blown thats there the mystery oil was coming from
I made my own but did order a better one too
Put on a 1/2 link to get a little more slack ended up giving me too much but I was able to tighten the pedal chain better now so it wont pop off and realign the wheel better now too

SAM_0758.jpg

SAM_0757.jpg

SAM_0756.jpg

SAM_0753.jpg

SAM_0755.jpg

Last edited:
Had time to really go through all the jets and get some top speed runs
Looks like the 74 jet is the slowest, the stock jet is the fastest
Now without spending any time with the needle I can conclude the stock would be a little leaner the 74 richer
So im sticking with the 72
The top speeds were only 1 mph difference not anything drastic between stock and 74 jet

The test was done on a new mix of 25:1 which I plan on keeping it there from now on. Using Motul oil.

Also got some miles on a new tensioner, so far well worth the money
I was able to loose my 1/2 link and also recenter the tire slightly better
also everything really rolls smoothly and its cut down the noise drastically from the solid plastic roller

SAM_0762.jpg

SAM_0759.jpg

I made the mistake of oiling my chain, ive spent the last 3 days cleaning oil off the white paint job and it just keeps coming out of the links, even when I wipe it down 20 times with a rag
I just used motor oil

Put on a really nice tensioner

Also not pictured ive changed all but 2 screws to black allen's
going to a store to find the 2 that hold the engine case together
way better then the flat heads it came with, they felt to be aluminum screws too

So only have a couple more parts coming in, cen clutch, wider pedals and different sprocket clamp

Just got a new pipe, alot quieter

photo4.jpg

Back