Very high revving after full throtte

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by AutOtaku, Apr 24, 2016.

1. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

For some reason, shortly after i go full throttle, my bike will rev really really high. At first i thought there was trash in the carb or that the needle was bent but after taking it apart and thoroughly cleaning it with carb cleaner, it was still doing the same thing. I tried changing the spark plug because i thought my E3 plug may have been too hot for the engine but the same problem still occured.......any ideas?

2. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Could be that your clutch is slipping.

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

if throttle isn't sticking a bit, then it is most likely a small air leak at intake

Timbone likes this.
  4. 45u

45u Active Member

I agree check the clutch.

5. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

Ive made sure to seal off any places where that could be the issue.

How would i check the clutch?

6. 45u

45u Active Member

If the clutch is slipping and that is my guess you need to take the cover off the right side. In side on the clutch there is a flower nut take out the lock screw and tighten up a few clicks replace lock screw check cable adjustment and test ride. Make sure you have play in the cable before it starts to disengage clutch.

7. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Im having the same problem but mine is revving too high constantly and I've turned the idle down as far as it can go, I thinking it might be a gasket somewhere or its running really lean?
    Base gasket is putting out a lot of oil and it seems to idle better with choke on 1/2 way but it still won't idle low enough to be sensible, odered a base gasket for another bike but I could steal it for this one since its been ported and runs better (usually)

8. 45u

45u Active Member

Do you have slack in the throttle cable when you idle it down. Being it idles better with the choke 1/2 on sounds like a air leak to me and is running lean do to the air leak.

Timbone likes this.
  9. Frankfort MB's

Yes and I've been reading through here and it seems like it would be an air leak, thanks for the confirmation

Timbone likes this.
  10. Aligring

Aligring New Member

I was having the same problem on a previous engine. Found out their was a small air leak around the carb.

11. Frankfort MB's

I looked at the base gasket and it was shot, actually ripped when I pulled it off lol

Attached Files:

12. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

welp opened my clutch cover and the lock screw that you use to loosen the flower nut was so tight, i ended up stripping it.....

13. Frankfort MB's

You have to watch with that since they are a brass screw (at least it was on mine) almost stripped mine :D

14. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

well its f'd now so i guess i can never adjust my clutch.....

15. Frankfort MB's

You might be able to get it retapped but I'm not sure if there's something important behind it

16. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

i wouldnt want to drill into it as i fear i may hit a clutch pad or two. I know there cheap but money is tight for now....

17. SRPM

SRPM Member

Use an easy out like 5/64" or 1/8" looks like the size you need an extractor sets at harbor freight $8. All you have to do is drill a hole big and deep enough for the easy out to thread in and grab the screw. There is nothing you can damage if you drill all the way through anyways (pic). Or you can try and use vice grips but the area to grab is very small. 20160507_204122.jpg
    Here is the clutch out of engine. And has your stripped screw removed. Should look familiar. PicsArt_05-07-08.43.12.jpg.jpg
    Here is best view of the "nothing" you can hit if you drill all the way through. PicsArt_05-07-08.46.25.jpg.jpg
    And here you see it opened up and where the screw hole lines up with... nothing.

18. Frankfort MB's

So what it amounts up too is just to drill a hole all the way through the side of the engine....

Jk jk.... I'd watch for the flower nut though, if you drill that hole too wide then it will hang on the nut

19. SRPM

SRPM Member

Exactly. You shouldn't need that big of a drill bit tho unless you plan on threading the new hole and putting a different screw in. I would try drilling a small hole for the easy out half way through the screw and try to extract the stripped screw this doesn't always work and you might have to do the above.

20. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

So you stripped the little screw. I can think of two fairly simple fixes.

Using a dremel, grind a centered line into the stripped phillips threads on the screwhead. Make it so you can simply remove it with a larger flat head screwdriver. Once the screw is removed, all you have to do is find a new screw.

Let's say that doesn't work. Let's say the EZ Out method doesn't work. Simply make an accurate measurement in another part of the clutch drum so that you can drill and tap for another screw of the same size.

Frankfort MB's and SRPM like this.