Villiers attachment on 1950s Phillips

no answer to my proposal? the wife said it was ok! so long as i took all my bad habbits with me! just kidding sianelle! but honestly you rock!

If your wife can forgive you then so can I :D

Have a safe and happy Christmas.

I am continuing to work on this bike. I've been at a loss what to do about a sheave for the rear wheel and more as an experiment than anything else I carefully pressed a 24inch steel rim in the vice to get a more narrow profile. All I did was work around the rim in stages and then straighten out any wobbly bits. It's not perfect, but it should be workable and is to my mind better than using an unmodified rim. Now all I have to do is fit it to the rear wheel. I have some ideas about how to do that, only I can tell you none of them involve trying to secure my homemade sheave to the rear wheel's spokes.

sheave attachment

Hi Sianelle, I have seen both early, and a couple of modern guys build little brackets from the inside of the rim, curving (or with an angle) out to the drive sheave, much in the way that they used to do them in the days of wooden sheaves. Do you have pics of that form of attachment?

If not, I can look to see if I have some for you.

Mike

I haven't seen any cheap 26" Mag wheels but they seem like they would work better.
I know it would destroy the antique look though.
My 2 cents worth strike that 1.5 cents worth.

Even the cheapest mag wheel would be waaaaay out of my budget Doc. Keeping the vintage appearance is actually one of the main design criteria in building up this bike btw so mag wheels are definitely out. Ordinary steel rims, handfuls of spokes and more hubs than you can shake a stick at I've got here for free so experimentation costs me nothing except my time :D

Any progress on this Sianelle. What are you doing for a clutch. I'm thinking about doing a similar project.

BSA

Any progress on this Sianelle. What are you doing for a clutch. I'm thinking about doing a similar project.

BSA

Hi there :D I wasn't especially well during our Summer so I haven't done a great deal more on this project. BUT I do still have everything setup out in my garage workshop. Some Villiers engines were fitted with a centrifugal clutch and I do have a couple of these, but what I would like to do is use a plain pulley drive with a tensioner which I feel is more in keeping with what I'm trying to do.
This is the type of thing I mean btw....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/318_1910EX_1.jpg?t=1207869230

Once the Winter gets here properly and we get into our 'wet season' I'll get back to lurking in my workshop again and continue with this project.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been well.

I assume that you'll be using a decompressor valve to allow you to pedal without the engine. Can you fit any type of centrifugal clutch to a villiers, or does it have to be a specific type?

Keep up the excellent work.

BSA

A decompressor is on my 'to-do' list alright :D

The Villiers centrifugal clutch is quite a robust piece of kit and is work looking for if you don't have one. Otherwise you'd need to find a clutch than can be adapted to fit onto the tapered end of the crankshaft and I don't think that would be an easy thing to find.
I couldn't find much in the way of Villiers pictures to guide you regarding the clutch.....
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/VilliersHomebuild2.jpg?t=1207913958

....... and unfortunately I don't have a functioning camera at the moment.

Thanks for the good wishes btw it's much appreciated :D

Back