Vintage Schwinn Corvette

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by David D., Nov 5, 2010.

1. David D.

David D. New Member

Hi, new to this forum and just wanted to share my latest build... 1953 schwinn corvette...2 speed bendix hub...66cc eng. ... S7 rims(I relaced the rear myself), so i can use bigger tires..waiting for some 26 x 2.00 x 1.75 WW's i ordered....and on payday will get a more appropriate seat....rebuilt the entire bike ....

Attached Files:

2. knobb490

knobb490 Member

David D. Welcome! With a piece of work as nice as that, you'll fit right in.

3. David D.

David D. New Member

Thank you

Thanks knobb, really glad you like it , got two more engines last week, just looking for the right bike now to start another one.... just love to build :)

4. knobb490

knobb490 Member

I know what you mean. For me its almost more fun to build than to ride.

5. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I have a 1953 Schwinn Tiger, but I am probably going to restore it to original.

6. David D.

David D. New Member

Hi esteban

No engine? how will you make it go? :thinking:

7. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I have about 6 different bikes without engines. I still love to ride a bike the " original " way, too.

8. David D.

David D. New Member

just kidding

yes i understand, was trying to be funny :) I love all old machines, ones with wheels in particular... i personally find these little motors to be a godsend as i now have physical limitations which wont allow me to pedal very far... and not enough money to build vintage cars or motorcycles.... at any rate i have now built 5 bikes, 2 of them "vintage" one is a "ratrod" and this schwinn "resto-mod" if you will.... would love to see pictures of your old bikes if possible,especially the schwinn... best regards, David

9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Here is the '53 Schwinn. It needs a lot of work & $$ if I restore it to original. These old Schwinns had their own " unique " rim & tires that were not interchangeable with common sizes. You can see that I did do a little rubbing on it to see how the paint may turn out.
    Black & tan bike is a Raleigh Retroglide, 1995
    Yellow O & R engine sitting on front wheel, is the bike I rode a long time. It is also in my avatar.

Back to original poster, that is a very nice build,,, but I am partial to orginal bikes that are not motorized. I am the same way about old cars. I like to keep them original. Are those the origial wheels ??? If so,, did you order the correct tires for them ??

Attached Files:

10. David D.

David D. New Member

cool bikes

hey those are great looking bikes esteban...well no i have the original s5 or s6 rims here but i bought some vintage schwinn s7 rims for the corvette, wanted more tire for the higher speeds, keeping the original fenders on it though...and the 2 speed hub. . what hub is on that schwinn of yours? Kindest regards, David.... oh almost forgot, i really like your Ohlson and Rice engine set up, that thing is cool...been thinking about getting something like that for my girlfriends cruiser...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  11. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Thanks. After more research, that old bike is probably a 1962 Schwinn Tiger. Old Schwinn rims are bringing pretty good prices, now. Be VERY careful with the fenders on that " Chinese Rattler." More than one has vibrated loose & made a rider hit the ground !!
    The O & R 1hp, cir. 1970, was on an '80's Schwinn Frontier. I rode it many, many miles with the same tire on it. Sold the motor awhile back. You can still find them around , some being called Orline,, Chicken Power, .

L to R

Crescent,, O & R , & Raleigh 16" folder.

Attached Files:

12. Hawk

Hawk Member

David D. Welcome....your Corvette looks great-- really clean! Here's my '57Corvette...overloaded with "stuff" to make it go slower!! Ha Ha! I think the link is also at the end of this tread, if this pasted thread and pictures don't work. I am now working on a '50 Schwinn Black Phantom with a '47 Whizzzer "H" engine. Both ride equally well, the Whizzer is a little faster.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=21716&page=3

Attached Files:

13. Hawk

Hawk Member

David,
    Sorry...I forgot my "stock" red '57 Corvette...pedal powered!
    Jim

Attached Files:

14. yimmie

yimmie Member

sweet

nice job on the corvette

15. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

The old ugly Schwinn in the pix has a 3 speed hub. I have replaced the wheels [ too rusty ] & put on a pair of plain wheels with coaster brake, just to get it on the road. Atill have some serious elbow work to do. I will probably leave it as is, rather than repaint it.

16. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Here are some pix, poor pix, of a pair of Schwinn Repo's I picked up. I will just clean this up & resell. I will get some better pix, later & post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  17. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Matching ladies bike;

Attached Files: