Vintage Schwinn Cruiser

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by sportscarpat, Jan 10, 2010.

1. sportscarpat

sportscarpat New Member

I usually post over on the other motor bike site. Don't ask me why because I don't really know. Anyway, I have been pretty busy lately working on various projects. My wife has been riding my motorbike around quite a bit and asked if I could put one together for her. I have wanted to do a military style build and figured this was my opportunity. I had plans of an olive drab and desert camo paint job on the frame and every other part of the bike either green, black, or tan. I started with a Schwinn frame and a stencile kit off of ebay to give the frame a stock Schwinn paint job using the olive drab and tan. Well, the wife got involved and now I have a lot of chrome pieces as well. It's really susposed to be her bike anyway, so what could I say? It has started to take on it's own personality now. Not at all what I had started out to build, but I am beginning to like the looks.
    Here is a partial components list:

1952 Schwinn Panther
    Parsons seat that I recovered in black leather
    Unknown cruiser bars with Schwinn stem
    Oury grips
    Schwinn $10 special cycle computer (these work great)
    Chrome ballon tire full fenders (these were going to get painted black or olive drab)
    Latest manufacture PK80-J Slant Head in silver
    CNS Carb
    One of my custom in-frame tanks in an unpainted "scotch-brite" finish
    1952 Schwinn springer fork
    18 tooth bearing mounted idler sprocket for a #41 chain
    1995 Schwinn Phantom crank, sprocket, and bottom bracket

All I still need are tires and wheels. Bike/DSC04661.jpg Bike/DSC04662.jpg Bike/DSC04665.jpg Bike/DSC04667.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011

2. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

What nice work you do. The tank really is special. Personal craftsmanship has always impressed me. Thank you for posting the pictures.
  3. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

good looking!
  4. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

You sir, have way too much time on your hands.....meant in the best possible way. Nice bike, and I love the tank. Nice job
  5. sportscarpat

sportscarpat New Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I am looking forward to getting it on the road, maybe this weekend. If I did have too much time on my hands I would be working on my tank design for the Worksman Industrial Newsboy frame I have sitting right here. Those tanks are still a few weeks away.
  6. Basementchoppers

Basementchoppers New Member

Lets see them!!!
  7. sportscarpat

sportscarpat New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011
  8. kulturalist

kulturalist New Member

hi, bike looks great i just ordered some oury grips to replace my own grips on my bike, is there any pointers you could give me to help im not sure even where to begin, i know the clutch side should just be simple replacement, but the throttle grip how did you do it?
  9. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

10. sportscarpat

sportscarpat New Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  11. rustycase

rustycase Banned

Very nice work Pat!
    What wall thickness & od do you use when fabbing your custom frames?
    Is it DOM ?

...and what rear hub are you using??? :)
  12. Robertriley

Robertriley New Member

Is this the #4 that I picked up from Mac in AK?

Just curious,
  13. brother john

brother john New Member

Wow man love the look of your bikes! Fantastic work, those tanks really set it off...if I was the jealous kind I'd be green from head to toe. I'd like to set a springer saddle just above the back fender like an old hardtail...sorta like the last pic