Vintage Whizzer, springer forks, drum brake

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by MaxGlide, Nov 29, 2009.

1. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Hello All,

Ok, I have a Whizzer motor on a Elgin frame and it came with Cleveland Welding Shockmaster forks (post war).

I would like to put a drum brake on the front but I've read that this type of springer fork is really not recommended.

So I'm wondering what are good options for front forks that would be ok with a drum brake? Original Elgin forks? Ambassador type forks? Repops?

I was thinking of the Sturmey Archer xFD drum brake.

Opinions everone'

Thanks..... Wayne

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I'd say to get a good Schwinn ("knee-action") springer fork. The modern chrome repops of this fork can vary in quality, so I'm hesitant to suggest to use it on a bike as heavy as a Whizzer. But having said that, the repop I'm using on my '46 Columbia is being used with a Sturmey Archer "Steelite" drum and has posed no problems whatsoever.
    However, the original Schwinn springer forks will be stronger.

3. Traveler

Traveler Member

Could you post a photo of the 46 Columbia?

4. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Thanks Kilroy

Yeah... seems like the Schwinn is the way to go..... I'll keep an eye out for a set.

thanks..... Wayne

5. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Here is a picture of Kilroy's 1946 Columbia.
    Jim

Attached Files:

6. Traveler

Traveler Member

Thanks. My Columbia springer fork is totally different. Just wanted to know if there will be future problems with it when I install a drum brake.

7. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

This is the Columbia springer fork from my 1950 3-Star. I have a drum brake on the wheel I'm going to use on this bike too.

Jim

Attached Files:

8. Traveler

Traveler Member

That's the same one I have. Thanks.

9. Now, how does that thing work?!!! If the wheel mounts to the un-sprung fork, then it would be pulling on the spring and I'm sure that it actually compresses the spring somehow. Do the bolts for the black fork go into the mounts on the un-sprung forks? Sat and studied the picture a little bit and the more I looked, the less it made sense. Thanks for any insights and cool looking forks!

10. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

No it actually does stretch the spring not compress it. That is how it is designed.

Jim

11. Okay, now THAT'S just cool!

thanks!