Wal-mart Genesis Onex 29", complete build!

I've been gone from the hobby for a couple years, and it's time to start again!

I previously built a cruiser from a Giant Simple, aluminum frame, cruiser. I loved it, but couldn't keep it through circumstances. Now I'm back and ready to roll! I've been reading and searching, and now have a plan.

I have ordered a Wal-mart 29" Genesis Onex, $162 after tax. I pick it up on Friday. I read all about the bike and builds and this and other sites, Rat Rod Bikes was one of the best regarding the actual bike. It requires a few simple upgrades to ensure reliability as a daily rider; rear hub rebuild, crank/pedal rebuild, and an over-all tightening and inspecting. I'll probably be changing the bars and strengthening the stem, swapping the cranks and pedals, modifying the rear hub, and replacing the stock seat and post. It's going to be a project, and we all know how those go!

I also ordered an 80cc kit off eBay for $140, shipped. I spent time looking at all the different options, from all the different sites. I noticed they all had the EXACT same items, free pieces included were even the same. Then I noticed that a lot of members had issues with several different vendors, no one was better than another. I decided the eBay protection was worth it, and i could sort to find a US seller. I've bought and sold lots of things on eBay, and when there's a problem they handle it. Not a lot of BS. It should be here in a few days, coming from New Jersey.

I'll be tearing that down as well, and rebuilding it. Everything will get inspected and tightened. Not a lot of upgrades planned on the motor, probably an exhaust and that's it. As long as the carburetor has no issues, it'll be just fine stock. I'm looking for reliability with simple maintenence.

I will be adding the CNC sprocket adapter. It will eliminate the issues caused by the 48 spoke setup and the stock sprocket. I haven't ordered it yet because I don't know the rear hub size... Any help on that would be appreciated if anyone reading this already has one. Once I know, it looks like a $40 purchase.

The bars will be 13" ape hangers, I already got them from bike berry for $15! They even have the 1" center for the larger stem, but are 7/8" bars for compatability with throttle grip and accessories.

Front brakes are going on for sure. I'm a big guy, and it's a big bike, the extra stopping power will be appreciated. I grabbed a pair of V-brakes for $15. The bike already has the mount, it'll be an easy addition.

That's the start. Next weekend looks like a busy one, hopefully I'll have a ready ride by the Monday, 4th of July, festivities! I'm planning on documenting as much as possible throughout the build, so please ask questions. It's hard to cover everything everyone is considering a question, but I'll certainly cover mine. I'm hoping this little chat will start a build worth reading. It was fun to read my old one again.

Use it till it brakes. Get your money worth. You never no it might last 12 months till it brakes. You bye a bike a rim an stuff to make it good. So bye a better one to start with. Like the motors after you bye 2 /3 66cc you could of got a 49 cc 4speed 80kmh scooter second hand $200. Then welded the motor on floorless. Even in frist you can sit 20kmh all day

I've been thinking more about swapping the cranks. Is it necessary? I'm not going to be using them, lol. I think I'll just pull them apart, and make sure everything is well greased. Probably change pedals, but the cranks won't be getting any significant use, it's motorized!

Any thoughts?

yeah, you wont be peddling much at all. no need to touch the cranks or pedals. No need to grease either tbh. Better to save grease for the rear wheel bearings.

That's what I was thinking.

It's a "new" Walmart bike, so that first assembly needs to be decent. Not that the factory didn't do a good job, I'll just do it myself. Everything will be disassembled, greased, and rebuilt to give me peace of mind. That should be enough.

Just picked up a tube of grease, bearings for the rear hub (I'm going to ditch the caged set) and a crank puller.

OK, ready to begin. ..

got the bike

Got my motor kit. ..

Got a hub adapter, 1.5" hub, 40T..

Got a pipe. .

Time for the slow build to begin. ..

First the bike. I disassembled it completely, peeled of all the stickers, and gave it an overall inspection. Not bad, not great. First impression is that it's worth the $150. I barely got the rear tire off, those bottle were tight! I pulled the rear hub apart, just to take a look, and it was pretty well greased. I put the hub adapter on, perfect fit. The cranks feel a bit harsh, I'll pull them tomorrow and see what's going on in there. Once the initial inspection was done, I had to mock it up.

Everything looks like it going to fit nice. The motor sat nicely inside the frame. The pipe doesn't need any bending. And the best part, the tank fits perfect! The ape hangers don't look bad either. Tell me what you think, ask me questions. I'm here.

Couldn't resist, and was up at 5am. I rebuild the rear hub. Modified the brakes shoes slightly. Chamfered the edges to allow grease to ride OVER the pads, instead pushing around them. greased everything, and reassembled.

Then i figured I could mock up the motor, check the mounts and see what's need. Placed the gas tank, just need some longer straps. Piece of cake. Attached the pipe to check pedal clearance, looks perfect but will be better when the motor is mounted properly.

I'm going to leave the cranks alone for now, they look questionable but since there's no wiggle, and they're still new I'll give them a chance. I won't be pedaling much.

So I'm not liking this rear hub. The bearings were crap, i expected that. I got replacements. The modification to the shoes didn't do much. I think I just want more. Here's a picture of the bearings, one of the original cages was bent. It has 7/32 size bearings.

Wow, quite a day. I got everything done and the maiden voyage was a success! Took it around the block a few times, nothing failed. I might have opened it up half way, but I doubt it. The big wheels sure do roll. I felt like I was moving pretty good for 1/4 throttle as I cruised.

The rear brake is so soft it is rediculous. I'll definitely be adding some v-brakes. I don't think there is anything I can do to make them better. I feel like the big wheels just have to much momentum once rolling.

So far so good.

Wow, quite a day. I got everything done and the maiden voyage was a success! Took it around the block a few times, nothing failed. I might have opened it up half way, but I doubt it. The big wheels sure do roll. I felt like I was moving pretty good for 1/4 throttle as I cruised.

The rear brake is so soft it is rediculous. I'll definitely be adding some v-brakes. I don't think there is anything I can do to make them better. I feel like the big wheels just have to much momentum once rolling.

So far so good.

Nice build!

Back