walmart dual suspension bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rowenj, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rowenj

rowenj New Member

can the 2 stroke motor fit on this NEXT Avalon Comfort Bike?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009

2. pdxrhett

pdxrhett Member

I have read around, I believe in the section even, that it will fit. Search Next Avalon 49cc

3. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Click here:
    http://www.zoombicycles.com/downloads/engine-template.jpg
    It will take you zoombicycles.com site to an engine template you can printout. Notice in the mid section of the photo it says something about a dimension needs to be 6" long. You might have to play with the size setting on you printer set up to gt it right. It'll be better to have that dimension a little bigger than to small.
    Hope this helps.

..... PC .....

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

how will the rear shock affect the tension on the drive chain ??
    MM

5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Discount/bargain bikes, the 7 speeds, have smaller chainrings (front sprocket).

It will cost about $12 to switch to a 52 tooth, which I've found best for keeping speeds in the 28 mph range when climbing grades.

6. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I've thought that that bike looked good for the job.

But isn't that an aluminum frame? And is that a problem?

7. bamabikeguy

I've had 3 (still have one, for engine break-in)...I hope he finds a better bike on Craigslist.

The suspension isn't "all that", foam grips do about the same thing reducing vibration. The ribbing on the grips is irritating after long runs, but gel grips are about $10, very advisable. One of the 3 we switched out for mustache handlebars, that made it better.

Note that the place for the bottle carrier is where the engine goes, and that front suspension knocks out use of standard basket legs.

I don't know what it is about my Avalon that bugs me so much, small chainring, small pedals, lousy customer service rep in New Jersey, (the one time I phoned in a question)....

But, is the pitch of the front wheel / fork more vertical, or is that my imagination??

If he can find a better model/type in the $150 or less range, I'd skip the whole Next line of bikes.

Just my opinion......

8. bamabikeguy

I just went out and measured above the bottle carrier area, about where the letter "X" is in Next.

7 inches, and the tube is an oblonged/oval, (an "ovloid"??). Will that cause him a problem?

9. Shadeslay

Shadeslay Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  10. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

In my humble opinion...

Of seeing that bike in person a few times at the big W, I am thinking it will take more effort then it is worth to get it in there securely and safely.

Another bike may be the best route to go here!

11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Here are 100+ reviews of this bike. Very positive for a regular bike.:detective:

Rear suspension component looks small.:detective:

I'd be concerned about chain drive with suspension travel.:detective:

12. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

I would think with as little as 3/8 of an inch of travel in the back suspension, that it is possible for the driven chain to come off...

NOT a good thing to happen or have to worry about while riding at 20+ miles per hour!

Stay safe if nothing else!

13. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

RowenJ

I'd stay away from a rear suspension bike for a first build! Not saying it's impossible. Some of our brothers have come up with spring loaded chain tensioners to accomodate the give in the frame.

As the rear of the bike absorbs shock, your motor drive chain has to be tightened for the slack to be taken out. If the motor drive chain pops off and gets between the spokes and fixed sprocket (it will), the bike stops and you guessed it, you keep going!

The pedal chain already has a tensioner on it (derailer).

14. pdxrhett

pdxrhett Member

just modify a derailleur to use as a chain tensioner

15. bamabikeguy

???? C'mon, we're here to give practical advise, and that makes little sense.

The kickstand on this model is one of those irksome types that fit over the axle, and that derailleur on it is low end, situated where it takes 1/4" off the end of the axle slot.

Best advise is find a different $100 bike, like the Jaguar 7, which causes few problems.

While I'm griping, I never liked the brakes on the Avalon either !!

16. fm2200

fm2200 Member

rack mount will work and then you will be like Bamabikeguy (my hero)

17. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

yeah bbg is is the man.now back to the thread.

no i dont think it will work.not saying it isnt possible just to much effort involved.
    if it were me ide save my pennies and get a rack mount.

18. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I don't know what PDXRHETT is thinking, This is his first build. Keep it simple on a bike that don't have a rear suspension.

Jaguar is not a bad choice and some of our members have already made the conversion. This means you've got help at your fingertips

19. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

from what ive read it doesnt seem like a real good idea. pick up a standard beach cruiser with some wide bars and you will be happy i know it. They feel like your riding on the roof of a cadillac without a motor in them but once you put 25+lbs of engine gear onto it and ride it on motor it feels like a motorcycle.

Any big box store bought bike should torn down and reassembled right away. Even if your just going to pedal it. Unless you WANT it to fall apart of course!
    -dave
    happy ridin