Want A Luggage Rack:

Hal the Elder

Local time
6:22 PM
HEY...

What's a good source for a luggage rack that fits the NE5 frame?

You know...it bolts on behind the seat with the struts bolting to the rear axle.

Thanks...
OLD HAL

Rack?

Hal, where you might find a rack would depend entirely on what kind of rack you are looking for. I stock in Chrome and Black, the "old school" type, that look like the 9-hole Schwinn rack for the 40-ans 50's.

I also stock an alunimun rack and steel rack of the "spring wire" type, common on lightweight bikes 1960's and up.

And of course, I have the Whizzer rack (as would some of the other dealers).

There are other types, for example, Electra has thier own version, which looks a bit decco with curved rear braces, and a "drapery" type of shape on the rear. Also, some may have vintage racks of one sort or another, I am not selling any of my vintage ones.

Sooooo..... what is it that you are looking for?

Mike

Hey Mike:

MIKE:

I didn't realize there were so many choices for something as simple as a bicycle cargo rack!

Well, I want something traditional-looking, simple in design, and rugged.

No aluminum or stainless steel, no Art-Deco styling, just a sturdy rack with two stiff struts and a strong attachment point forward.

I want something that can carry a 40-pound sack of Wild Bird Seed with no sagging or flexing.

The ones I've seen in bike shops are as complex as the Lunar Rover and don't look very strong for fifty bucks!

Could you send pictures of your racks?

BTW...did you get my check for the Hi-Flow?

HAL

Last edited:
Luggage Rack

Hi Mike,
I'd like to see the racks too if you want to post them. Sounds like you have a great selection.
Jay

I found a fairly common 1940's Shelby rack on E-bay for mine. There are a couple on there right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2926.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 270
Hey Je:

That's what I have in mind...Simple!

Two struts to the rear axle and a clamp at the seat post!

The only problem is...I don't use Ebay!

Thanks, JE...
HAL

Thanks, Kilroy...

...but that rack looks a bit fragile to me.

I'll wait until Mike posts pictures of his assortment. JE's rack looks fairly substantial.

HAL

...but that rack looks a bit fragile to me.

I'll wait until Mike posts pictures of his assortment. JE's rack looks fairly substantial.

HAL

Hal, don't let the photo fool you. It's quite substantial. What it does lack though, is a solid base to strap things down on. The whole thing is tubular.

Back