Safety Want a motorized bike but mom won't let me:(

WOW. 17yo and STILL listens to mama

And I thought most young uns these days were brain dead psycos.

You'll be 18 soon enough, and if she wont let you have it, then you can go out and get your leg broken without getting parental consent! Just kidding! I think that its commendable that you respect your mom enough to care to listen to her and heed her wishes.:bowdown: Just goes to show you what properly applied beatings can do. "teach the child in the way he must go while he is young, and when he is old he will not depart from it. But a child left to himself will surely bring his parents to shame."-Holy Bible
Your mom must be a great parent!

Last edited:
I reckon it's all been said.

While they are dangerous, it's not much more so than riding a normal bicycle. (Not a whole lot faster, either, and less power than the average lawn-mower.)
Look at the number of 13-100 year olds riding dirt bikes etc.

You already sound pretty responsible to me, by your concern for your mother's views and your understanding of the safety aspect, as well as needing a bike for transportation.

Do show your mother this thread, there are some pretty good views expressed.

I should have added, it's most important to have good brakes, lighting if you're riding at night and of course, a good helmet.

so i have a nice Schwinn ready to get a motor on, but my mom doesn't want me to get a motorized bike. she thinks its dangerous, and i don't blame her but i really want a motorized bike.
She says to get her the statistics but i cant find any.
Does anyone know the statistics of motorized bicycle accidents or anyway to convince my mom its not as dangerous as she thinks?
Thank you
Tell Mom to visit delaware. where any M/C shop will sell a kid his first motorcycle no matter what size it is or if you know how to ride or not...Sooo many first timer kids getting 1200 + cc Sportbikes Because they got the honda/suzuki etc. line of credit. most are dead before the first year of payments are made!!! Now Mom 20 mph. on a motor assisted bike sounds kinda safe doesnt it! Think About It. (Hope This Helped?):devilish:

In Hawaii, mopeds are king, and some teenagers ANNND adults drive them irresponsibly. JMO, a motorized bike would be safer, plus you'd HAVE to learn how to maintain it. No repair shop will touch such a pariah!

What does Dad say about it?

In Hawaii, mopeds are king, and some teenagers ANNND adults drive them irresponsibly. JMO, a motorized bike would be safer, plus you'd HAVE to learn how to maintain it. No repair shop will touch such a pariah!

What does Dad say about it?

Dads unfortunately on the same side as mom. he had a spill on a quad and broke his arm in his early years and doesn't like any vehicles of that sort.
They both feel that when drivers would see me, they would misjudge my speed and cause an accident.

so i have a nice Schwinn ready to get a motor on, but my mom doesn't want me to get a motorized bike. she thinks its dangerous, and i don't blame her but i really want a motorized bike.
She says to get her the statistics but i cant find any.
Does anyone know the statistics of motorized bicycle accidents or anyway to convince my mom its not as dangerous as she thinks?
Thank you

My advice Is If you convince momma to let you build one.Go with a good rack mount or quality 4 stroke kit that costs from 300 to 600 bucks roughly.Or You'll end up like me with 2 tore up 2 stroker 80/66 cc engines that costs me way too much time to repair and way too much money being some things just blow quality wise.Be smart and save up 500 bucks and buy a moped or 50 cc or under scooter.Faster,signal lights,safer,More reliable,And most of all.A quality 4 stroke engine.I wish I would have listened to my momma at 36 years of age and saved up for a moped or rear rack mount Instead of buying a cheap kit that has been problematic and potentially dangerous from busted rims to piston shooting through the cylinder.What I spent on repairs I could not fix due to lack of tools,parts,shipping,and 2 stroke oil.I could have bought a name brand moped,scooter,or quality bicycle engine 4 stroke rack kit or ezm outfit.Don't be stupid like me.

Alright I didn't read all the posts although I figured I could share some of my personal experiences.

When I turned 16 my parents actually encouraged me to purchase a small 250cc motorcycle. (Lucky me i realized later) Partly because they were tired of driving me to work. They trusted me with a motorcycle somewhat cause I had a lot of experience on 2 wheelers when I was younger.

Not sure if your state offers one but heres my reccomendation: enroll in a motorcycle safety course. They teach very important fundamentels about proper braking, steering, dealing with obstacles, handling etc. These are all things an individual will eventually pick up on their own...if they don't learn the hard way first!

I believe if you pass a motorcycle safety course you'll prove to your mom that you can handle a heavier, faster, more dangerous machine....so a motored bike should be no problem!

Also I was told millions of times as a younger teen that teens think they're invincible....I didn't wanna hear it although when I got older I realized that was true. Just remember always drive defensively expect that car to pull out in front of you- then when it does you'll be prepared. And always remember that you are not invincible, and body parts are extremely expensive!

cheers man, I wish you the best luck with mom! :helmet:

Unior is right. That would be the best thing to do. Ask your parents if you can do this IF you pass the course.

Terry (proud father of 3)

Dads unfortunately on the same side as mom. he had a spill on a quad and broke his arm in his early years and doesn't like any vehicles of that sort.
They both feel that when drivers would see me, they would misjudge my speed and cause an accident.

"Being punished for the sins of thy father is not fair" Saying this statement should set the hook. Then all you have to do is start reeling. There should be a motorbike on the other end of the line.

Back