Want Motorize A One Speed Schwinn

clintonhorner

Local time
12:24 AM
I have a nice old Schwinn cruiser coaster brake bike that I want to motorize. I would like any advice on the best value motor kit to purchase, and I am concerned about the braking. I think it best to add a front brake to improve braking. I have never done this so help me out you motor heads and get me rolling!

One speed schwinn

Please give more info. What year model.

I have a 1950 roadmaster. I use a 66cc HT engine and a coaster brake. It is hard getting used to having your foot cocked to put the brake on. I would never tell anyone to not put a front brake on thier bike. The more braking power the better.
I am not interested in top end speed. I use a 44 tooth sprocket and cruise comfortably at 20 MPH.
Also front end suspension is also a plus.

Attachments

• roadmaster motor 2 002.JPG
    roadmaster motor 2 002.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 166
Tight Ride

James thats a sweet ride. Front brake good. You'll have to bend the brake arm in to a Z shape to clear the new sprocket use a vise and or heat dont F it up. Grubee is all that i have and it is very reiable. I am gonna get another fires quick. after initial fire up. Grubee 66cc. http://s1019.photobucket.com/home/lazieboy1

Welcome to the forum!
The engine install has been covered on this site; ad nauseaum. As for the front brake, go to your LBS, buy a caliper kit, and install it. They are easy to install. Ask for a linear or v type caliper. Stay away from the side pull ones.

Check out this thread, It can help you out immensely:
http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for everyones helpful advice. James, that is a very sweet ride you have! I read through the " crash course" and found it helpful. As a newbie, I will try to do as much research as possible and do my best not to ask to many silly questions!

I live in Tucson, and my brother owned a bike shop here for years, and he will help me out with adding brakes and other stuff

My Schwinn is a plain old cruiser made in Tawain. It is solid bike. the clearance from the crank to the top tube is 15 inches.

My main question is I have is that I have searched many web sites for kits.. They all look about the same to me. I have seen kits on EBay for about a 100 bucks. Others, like spooky tooth go for $290 My wife has me on a tight budget, so I am looking for a medium quality kit that can get me rolling

I would apprecitate any suggestions

Clinton

Attachments

• schwinn cruiser.jpg
    schwinn cruiser.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 147
New to this forum. Love it!

I have already posted posts regrarding building a motorized bike. In my enthusiam I did not properly introduce myself to this forum. so here goes!

I am 49 years old and live in Tucson, AZ. I have 3 little girls and I am a massage therapist at a very cool resort. My commute to work is only 1.5 miles, but is very hilly. I like to come home on my lunch hour to see my kids, so I drive back and forth. I thought that having a little scooter, moped or motorized bike would be a great idea to save some money and have fun buzzing to work. I recently saw an old "spooky tooth" at a yard sale, darned near bought it, but it needed repairs.. that led me to this site for more research.

In my early 20's, my brother and I were avid bike enthusiasts. We built MT bikes before there were MT bikes. We raced bikes, and growing up in Iowa, we rode RAGBRAI often. I built a crazy cool 3 wheel recoumbent from scratch, and also entered a bike I built for a HPV contest that was held at Indy 500 track.. If i find an old pic of that I will share it! I went 3 years with out owning a car.. it drove my parents nuts!

My brother went on to open his own bike shop in Tucson, "Ordinary Bikes" and I lived vicariously in the bike world through his experinces. funny thing is that he would always make fun of the "crazy people" with their motor bikes!

I currently have sweet A** Lightspeed road bike, a very cool circa late 80's Stumpjumper MT bike and a Taiwain made Schwinn cruiser.

I am considering converting my Schwinn to motor power. I got wise and did a lot of research on your forum, and found out many interesting ideas and facts.

1. some say that it is harder to start with a one speed coaster brake bike and that is easier to start with a MT bike. ( I hate to mess with my stumpjumper!) I read some posts that say it is even dangerous to use a one speed!

2. the chinese kits you buy are relativley similar, best to trust the dealer

3. The kits you buy will need to have many retrofits to make them work well.."Junster" posted an article about this. I am good with my hands, but I am a bit sktitish when it comes to overhauling motors!

4. Not to alienate my new forum buds, but the more I read the more interested I get, but also the more hesitant I get. I might consider an old moped or scooter to get the job done. I like the idea of building a motor bike, but I need to feel like it will be a fairly managable deal.

I love looking at all the pics and posts.

Clinton

Hi Clinton, welcome to Motoredbikes.
My 2 cents is, "4 stroke".
I just picked up an old Puch moped (basket case) and the engine was apparently run on straight gas- piston scored, all engine bearings seem shot. This is not likely to happen with a 4 stroke. Most everyone is used to checking the oil, but not mixing.

One thing I noticed upon putting the moped back together, is it is a real bear to pedal around with no motor going and the pedal ratio is real low, so even if it was running, your feet would not keep up with the engine= no exercize.

Thanks professor... I have been mostly reseaching the chinese 2 stroke.. I don't know much about 4 stroke kits. Are there 4 stroke kits out there to convert my bike? I do know that I have had many 2 stroke weed whackers, and they do not last long! Thanks for the input!
Clinton

Last edited:
Back