warning: rant.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eltatertoto, Nov 12, 2008.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ok, the other day i had this happen to me, and it annoyed me soo much thinking about it, i decided to post it.
    the thing that really annoys me, is that people always cut me off whan im driving my 49cc roketa, that has a top speed of about 45, on a long a**ed road. just the other day, i was driving downtown, and i was going about 30 (avg speed around here) and a middle aged man on (big suprise) a cell phone does his carppy attempt of pulling out of a parking lot trying to beat the traffic. turns out he cant make it, so he stops directly in the middle of my lane, leaving me nowhere to turn with all the parellel parked cars. i slam on my supposedly antilock breaks, they lock up, i end up doing a 20 foot skidmark, followed by an endo. and somehow, i spun the back end around and i end up facing the curb.all this is on my 50cc scooter, because of a dumb cager on a cell !!! this guy IS in the wrong, and i was right to honk and flip him off right???? i almost made an inprint of me on hiscar!!!

mabey i shoud buy a stebel horn lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008

2. Saddletramp

Saddletramp Member

I have heard of a device that is comming out about the size of a large pack of gum that makes cell phones in the talk mode emmit a very loud schreech and kills the call. They say it works on most cell phones and has a range of up to 50 feet. 9V battrie just like a taser. Should not be talking and driving anyway. Fun at stop lights.

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

My only suggestion, tater, is don't flip people off.

It makes you look bad, not them.

But yes, if he made you slam on your brakes to avoid a collision then he was definitely wrong. And you're not wrong drawing attention to it.

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Don't get caught with it. That is an illegal jamming device/transmitter, and simple possession of it is a federal crime. Use of it to interfere with a call by anyone is a federal felony.

Similar to the radar jammers some folks put on cars, it is the epitome of an illegal device.

5. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

yes, i was in the wrong to flip him off, but god that makes me mad. the ironic thing is that all this happened in front of a police station. lol

6. bluegoatwoods

I wouldn't say that you were wrong, exactly.

I just think that this (most times) doesn't help you.

But I can understand the anger when someone tries to kill you. And I've given the bird a few times in such situations. Then sooner or later I start thinking, "There's gotta be a better way."

If I ever find it, I'll let you know.

7. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

mabey i should buy an air horn then. scooter that sounds like a train lol. my dad has one on his harley, and its LOUD! lol

--im still amazed i didnt even drop the bike... my shoulder is pretty sore from pivoting on the front wheel, when the front wheel stayed facing the driver.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

9. sjackson

sjackson Member

I used to run a website called youalmostkilledme.com

no joke.

This was about seven years ago, back when I used to commute to work daily on my (pedal) bike about 7 miles each way. I was biking from the city out to the suburbs, and invariably I'd have several close calls every day. It got to the point one night where I was joking with some of my biking friends that I ought to just start a website about it, and then that joke turned into a reality.

I started carrying a digital camera with me, hung around my neck. Any time a driver would do something stupid, I would snap a picture. Later that night I'd post the picture with a quick blurb about what had happened and how I could have almost been killed. It was a novel idea at the time, but it didn't last very long because at the end of the day, trying to avoid being killed and having the presence of mind to take a picture at the same time turned out to be impossible. It ended up mostly being a collection of pictures of what happened after the fact. I also realized that most of the pictures were people turning right in front of me, or cutting me off without realizing I was there... it got repetitive after a while. I also had business cards printed out, and if I managed to catch up to the driver at a stop light or something, I'd slip one under their wipers. (I was fairly aggressive back in my urban bike warrior days)

I did get a good picture of a guy getting out of his car to beat me up after he realized I took a picture of him. For some reason it didn't cross his mind that I was faster on a bike than he was on foot. When I get home, I'll see if I can find it and post a link to it. the site has been down for years though.

10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

This happens to me too. But I'm not riding my MB, or my 110cc motorcycle (about the same size as your Rocketa scooter) - I'm in a Jeep Grand Cherokee! It just seems that I have the amazing ability to make any vehicle I drive become invisible. Looks like you have that same ability!

11. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

lol arceguy. id love to see that pic jackson.
    but heres a story. in 2006, my dad had the same thing happen to him. my dad was riding down a country road on his harley. doing about 50. it was a 1 way road. this guy in a truck is turning down the wrong way on this road, and he realizes it, and starts to back up. well by the time he sees my dad, and attempts to back up, its too late. my dad turns the bike sideways doing a skidmark, and somehow he jumps off right before impact, leaving his bike stuck in the side of this guys truck. the bike never even fell over. and we ended up paying everything, because this guys insurance wouldnt pay up. (allstate) anyway, that brought that up in my mind right after this all happened.

12. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

Too right. I looked at building a tri-band cell phone jammer, until I found out it would be 10 years and $11,000 fine for using it! What I don't understand, however, is why it would come down on me for building a jammer, when if you simply have a cell phone, and nearly kill someone with your car while using it, you'll just get a ticket?

-Mark

13. bluegoatwoods

Mark,

I suppose the answer to your question (a good one) is something like this:

People interfering with cell phone communications are a threat to a huge money-making (sometimes money-grabbing) industry.

People using cell phones irresponsibly while driving merely threatens the well being of a few kooks on bicycles.

That probably sounds a little sour. As a matter of fact, it is. but that's not the end of the story; it is possible to change public attitudes to be more even-handed. It just won't be easy.

The pedal bikers have a bigger "lobby" than we do. We'd be wise to join forces with them. But on the other hand, I don't think they particularly want us. It's too bad there aren't more people on bicycles who are not the spandex crowd, just commuters.

Bring back $4.00 gasoline!