Crashes Warning warning warning, disc brake alert!

Quote plinco:"If I build a hot rod bike with a 6 to 9 horsepower motor. I will do drum brakes". :ROFLMAO:

6 to 9 horsepower motor and drum brakes :eek:

:ROFLMAO:..... :ROFLMAO:..... :ROFLMAO:..... :ROFLMAO:..... :ROFLMAO:

Fabian,I could honestly care less about your opinions of my builds or laughing at my Ideas.I know I seen drum brakes used on 125 pound mopeds with 6 to 9 horsepower morini's and they worked fine.Drum brakes are amongst the most reliable brakes available and been tested on mopeds,motored bikes,And smaller motorcycles since the 1950's.Simply put,If you can't offer me advice on the down side of drum brakes or just wanna find someone to make fun of.Go jump In a pile of this:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:.Make that five piles.:giggle:

Happycheapskate,

quote: Have you tried taking one of those green kitchen scouring pads and some Dawn dish soap to your rims? Sandpaper also works well to machine the track and get the optimal braking surface. You don't need to take much off but just clean them and give it a little texture.

Giving your v-brakes "toe in" also helps. Make sure your v-brakes are lubricated properly at the rotation points, and the mounting nuts are tight.

It pays to keep some Wet/Dry paper and a small cheap knife, to get any metal/grit/rock out of your brake shoes, no matter what type you use. Eventually you'll get something in your brake shoe(s).

My goodness Happycheapskate, with all the above fraternisation of a system that requires so much adjustment and effort to have some semblance of reliability, you should just bite the bullet and admit that any form of brakes other than a reasonably priced set disk brakes is a waste of time.

Just bolt on a BB7 caliper and 8" rotor and be done with all the headaches, not to mention the ability to bring the bike to a controllable stop, even with light damage to the rim surface; the most critical safety factor, especially on a motorised bicycle.
If your bike doesn't have mounting lugs for disk brakes, get yourself another bike or disk brake forks.

Fabian

Last edited:
Plinko,

I should know, as i've owned a Honda CT110 (Postie Bike) with it's useless drum brakes; woefully useless when they got hot, bordering on dangerous.

The down side of conventional drum brakes are many and there certainly isn't any upside!
Heat dissipation would be my first point of notice and it doesn't get any better when looking into other aspects of the design.
Just get yourself a decent set of disk brakes and be done with it.

And

If your going to be riding a motorised bicycle with 6-9 horsepower, coupled with the increased speeds such an engine would give, you logic for using bicycle drum brakes is highly questionable.
I write this with concern for your safety, not to mention everyone else who is in your way.

So i say: 6 to 9 horsepower motor and drum brakes :eek:.......... :(

Fabian

Last edited:
You're just bitter. I scrub my rims like that when I replace the shoes. That takes quite a long time to wear out the shoes. And I always carry a pocketknife anyway. I haven't had to dig any glass or metal out of my pads for half a year.
Even if you get some, it will be quite a while before it scores a rim so bad you'd have to worry about it. You could ride it home.

I sand every wheel I buy, besides ceramic rims, which have a rough coating.

It only takes a few minutes, when you get the bike. BFD! :devilish:
But millions of users the world over use cheaper pads, and lesser v brakes, and ride with dirty rims coated in rubber residue, road grime, and with bits embedded in their pads, and can still do stoppies like crazy and tire skids!

But their brakes probably squeel when its wet outside.
I've seen one of my high school friends knock a wheel out of round (flat spot) and out of true pretty bad, and the v-brakes were still useful to "controllably stop the bike". The wheel dragged a little each revolution, and the arms moved with the rim when applied. We built it with another rim, eventually. He rode it like that for months because he didn't care.

When the thin rotors on cable discs warp, what do you do?

PS you can get a set of powerful v-brakes, with new pads, cables, levers, adjusters, and fastening hardware for a couple hundred bucks. And they will come with a whole bike! hahaha.

I don't think v-brakes are a waste of time at all. I built a nice mountain bike a few years ago and I'm still running it. I don't want disc brakes. Esp cable brakes! V brakes are great and useful and and easy for me, lightweight and durable.

Happycheapskate,

quote: Have you tried taking one of those green kitchen scouring pads and some Dawn dish soap to your rims? Sandpaper also works well to machine the track and get the optimal braking surface. You don't need to take much off but just clean them and give it a little texture.

Giving your v-brakes "toe in" also helps. Make sure your v-brakes are lubricated properly at the rotation points, and the mounting nuts are tight.

It pays to keep some Wet/Dry paper and a small cheap knife, to get any metal/grit/rock out of your brake shoes, no matter what type you use. Eventually you'll get something in your brake shoe(s).

My goodness Happycheapskate, with all the above fraternisation of a system that requires so much adjustment and effort to have some semblance of reliability, you should just bite the bullet and admit that any form of brakes other than a reasonably priced set disk brakes is a waste of time.

Just bolt on a BB7 caliper and 8" rotor and be done with all the headaches, not to mention the ability to bring the bike to a controllable stop, even with light damage to the rim surface; the most critical safety factor, especially on a motorised bicycle.
If your bike doesn't have mounting lugs for disk brakes, get yourself another bike or disk brake forks.

Fabian

Last edited:
Bitter, bitter, certainly not Happycheapskate.

I'm moving with the times; just like auto manufacturers did in the 60's.
You can't get a car with drum brakes on the front wheels anymore - maybe there's a reason for it.
Even motorcycle manufacturers fit disk brakes to most of their models and only the cheapest and lowest specification motorcycles are fitted with drum brakes.

I'll take safety over saving a few dollars every time.

Fabian

Someone tell me how do you hook up disk brakes to the wheel and still have use of the engine,sprocket,and 7 speed cassette?

Plinko,

I should know, as i've owned a Honda CT110 (Postie Bike) with it's useless drum brakes; woefully useless when they got hot, bordering on dangerous.

The down side of conventional drum brakes are many and there certainly isn't any upside!
Heat dissipation would be my first point of notice and it doesn't get any better when looking into other aspects of the design.
Just get yourself a decent set of disk brakes and be done with it.

And

If your going to be riding a motorised bicycle with 6-9 horsepower, coupled with the increased speeds such an engine would give, you logic for using bicycle drum brakes is highly questionable.
I write this with concern for your safety, not to mention everyone else who is in your way.

So i say: 6 to 9 horsepower motor and drum brakes :eek:.......... :(

Fabian

I see Fabian.Made a good point.I'll reconsider my build.

Glad yours work for you at a price point that makes you happy.

I think v brakes rock and will be a world standard for a very long time.

For the application we are talking about (bicycles and motorised bicycles), I think v brakes are practical, light, cheap, and accessible, so I enjoy them. I don't think bicycle disc brake systems compare to motorcycle disc brake systems because they are way lighter and made for way less speed and weight.

The cable operated bicycle disc systems that I've test ridden (Walmart junk, other dpt store junk, low end bicycle shop junk, and the avid brand but maybe not exact same model, 6" disc)
felt "dead" compared to the very sensitive hydraulic bicycle disc brakes, and required a lot of hand pressure vs V brakes with better quality pads (not the junkiest blocks) and the 3 finger levers. My 2 finger levers and brakes (cane Creek direct curve) are very strong and nicely made. And still lots less than discs.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi plinko (and also Happycheapskate)

I don't attack anybody on here (ok, i've been known to be quite critical if their actions are foolish) but just pass on advise based on my own experiences.
Possibly, my greatest virtue is the ability to be self critical of my own thoughts and at times actions.

If after the act, my review of my actions isn't favourable, i'll be the first person to hold up the "fool" card.
Also, i rarely let my own psychology get the better of me, even if i'm finding all sorts of ways for self justification of my actions.
Having said that, i've placed a few posts in a thread that could be seen as contradictory to what i've mentioned above, with words that had me crucified by some members, but it's easy to be righteous and self justified in response when never being placed in that exact situation.

To both of you, i offer demure redress for my perceived attacks on your posts.
Certainly, this was not the intention, but if you look at your own posts, you may be able to see why my response was worded as it was.

Everyone has a right to post what they wish (within sites guidelines) although sometimes the brain to mouth filter suffers a seizure, and i'm not immune to such actions.

Fabian

Last edited:
Back