Water Bottle mount screws

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Xtrm84, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Xtrm84

Xtrm84 New Member

Those darn things are in my way of mounting the engine. Is there a way to remove them? Thanks!

2. h3ch4

h3ch4 New Member

With an allen wrench, maybe??

3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Why remove them....why not make use of them to mount your engine.It's better than drilling the frame.

4. h3ch4

h3ch4 New Member

Not a bad idea. I almost did that to mount mine, but then I found out that there wasn't enough space for the air filter housing AFTER loctiting the mounting screws and everything. :(

Lesson: check for space with the carb and filter attached.

5. Xtrm84

Xtrm84 New Member

I dont think I have a choice of drilling through the frame. I have a cruiser with a really thick down tube. I would have to fabricate a special mount and I do not have the tools to (starving college student).

6. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Take the bolt out if still there and grab a file from a dollar store and file away. Or use a grinder or drill with little grinding wheel/disk.Should not take more than five minutes either way.

7. For those really thick down tubes take a sledge hammer...never mind.

8. Zev0

Zev0 Member

ROFLMAO

9. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I tried that. It worked ok, but not the greatest. It is just a tiny screw.I had to use extra long studs for the rear mount, because of the thickness of my frame. I don't think I used strong enough studs. The rear mount bolts sheared. . After that it ripped the water bottle screw and threads right out the frame. The motor almost fell off the bike completely.

10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

The idea was to make up a bracket so that the bracket bolts to 2 drink bottle studs then the engine bolts to the bracket...2 studs and an aluminium bracket means any stress is distributed over a much wider area.
    Doesn't matter now....look through our pic gallery or our sponsors websites to see how other ppl did their install.When u find something suitable copy it, but my advice is drill the frame as a last resort ONLY...drilling weakens the frame and makes it look terrible(IMHO)

11. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Oh, ok. That makes more sense. I just used one water bottle screw. It didn't work too well....

12. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

NP man...try again and this time if u see something u like and your unsure about anything ask the group...there's bound to be someone whose mounted their engine like that.Personally i'm a firm believer in Overkill but just Real Tough will do.