WC1 Questions

Local time
8:31 PM
Hey all,
New here and I already did an intro.
I already did a search and could not find any threads that specifically answered my questions,
First of all I got a 1999 26" WC1 and im well aware about the NE5 conversion. But what I wanted to know is if I can mill the head on my WC1, and if it would benefit me in any ways besides power. Also I was trying to advance the timing on my bike and I couldnt get the cover off. I tried many different allen keys and torque bits and anything that came close seemed like would want to round the bolts.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome and congratulations on the purchase of a Whizzer. The help you can get here will go a long way towards keeping it running strong for you.
First the cover screws on my 2000 WC-1 are phillips head screws. I know some of the newer ones are metric allen screws.
You can get more power out of a WC-1 engine but it comes at a price. The WC-1 cylinders don't like heat. Heat will kill it. The valve seats have a bad habit of separating from the cylinder if the engine is exposed to high heat. Unfortunately the mods that increase the power on these engines also increase heat. If you want the engine to last, keep it stock and don't idle it for long periods of time. I'm not even sure you can mill a WC-1 head. I'm sure Rif or Quenton or Bill Green will be able to give you that info. I know you can take .070 off an NE5 head but I don't know about the WC-1. Best of luck with your Whizzer.
Enjoy the ride.
Jim

Hey thanks, for the info Kryton,
Maybe I need to get my eyes checked, as I swore they were allen bolts on the side cover, what about advancing the timing on my WC1, can I do that without causing excessive heat? If so how can it be done, thanks.

Yes go ahead and advance the cam timing 1 tooth CCW. That will only help and hot cause a heat problem.
Jim

Ok, to advance the timing, I got to take that cover off the motor (on the crank sprocket or right side of the bike, however you want to say it) that was the one I was reffering to earlier, not the cover for the belt. I cant find the right size allen key for it, I just went and double checked that and it is in fact an allen bolt. So if you, or anyone can help me by telling me what size allen key it would take and how to advance the timing on that WC1 motor, the help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I did know what you mean. The allen screws are metric. Unfortunately I am in a hotel room on the road again so I can not check the screws I have to determine the correct size. If you also wanted to advance the ignition timing here is a how to.
http://www.50sville.com/Whizzerengine.htm
That will advance the timing from 14 to 23 degrees before top dead center.

Jim

Hi 88,

Some of the early production WC-1s used allen screws to hold the sidecover on. It is next to impossible to remove them without damage. The metal is soft and the allen wrench will just round out the head of the screw. Place masking tape aorund the screw and use a punch to remove the screw. Another way is to drill out the head center, but don't forget to use the masking tape to avoid scratches on the side cover. Once the screws are removed, either convert to phillip head or order quality replacement allen screws.

Advancing the camshaft will not shorten the life of your WC-1 motor, whereas advancing the ignition timing can raise the operating temp. and possibly shorten the life of the cylinder.

My advice is to upgrade to the NE cylinder status as soon as possible to avoid price increases or hard to find parts.

Have fun,

Hey Quenton,
Thanks a whole lot for your info! You definately know your Whizzers! When you say drill out the centers, do you mean using a like a bolt extractor?
Also I have another question for you, when I take off from a stop and I use my clutch it makes a lot of noise, sounds like the belt is slipping, but could it be anything else?
Thanks again in advance!
-Aaron-

Im bringing this thread up again because im having more problems, first of all my taillight is not working, my brake light works fine and so does my headlight. Its not the bulb I already checked that, could there be a fuse or a ground I need to check? Also everytime I take off from a stop I hear a loud squealing noise that sounds like it could from the belt, I tried dressing and the belt looks tight, any ideas as to what that can be?
Hopefully some one could chime in on this thread..

Back