WE DELETE SPAM, SO DON'T BOTHER!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gone_fishin, Nov 18, 2006.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

you will NEVER get a click off this 'board...this way to the great egress :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

forum members: make your feelings known

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Do they really think we are all going to read their fu$*ing message and be like "Oh no! my computer is at risk!!! i should buy BOTH this guys products. What a nice guy, helping us all out like this"

These guys are rude and unwanted. If I had the ability to track down the people that do this kind of crap, I would kick their ass.

3. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

wasn't there a "augie dog" cartoon? Or was it a baseball player Augie Donatello?

"Augieguardogatello :lol: :roll: ", say it 3 times fast.....

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

augie dog & doggy daddy, yup, that's where the nickname comes from :D

it, it, it...fast enuff for ya? :p

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

I hate spam

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

It seems as if we have been getting a lot of spam lately, so I went ahead and installed a mod for the forum. A lot of this spam is automatically generated by spam bots, that will instantly fill out the registration and then automatically post a message. Pretty much every spammer includes a website when they sign up. This mod hides the website field from view for a normal person, so if the person signing up is actually human, they will not enter a website URL. If a bot signs up, they will enter the website url, and not allowed to continue. New members can still add a website to their profile if they edit their profile after they sign up.

Lets see how it works!

7. bamabikeguy

It would be nice if the "real" riders and posters could generally give their location.

I know claiming to be from "Holly Pond" is deceiving, I'm actually 10 miles from the whole Holly Pond/Baileyton/Joppa/Hulaco Quad areas, but if you get to the Dairy Bar, "I'm right over yonder....."

Then, when a "new" robot gives a national address instead of a minimum "state location".......

A lot of forums are having 24 hour waiting periods to post.

8. Tom

Tom Active Member

We still can give our location. You just cannot enter your website URL when you register. But, once you register, you can edit your profile and add the URL to your website.

I have thought about something like that, but I think it would deter people from posting. Lets see how this works out for now, and then we can figure out what else needs to be done if the spammers still get through.

9. Tom

Tom Active Member

Ok... Clearly spammers have made it through still... I am going to research greater measures...

10. etheric

etheric Guest

It amazes me that someone can code a program to do all of that automatically.
    We'll be able to spot the fishy stuff quickly enough though.

I know what you mean on the location bamabike. Anyone with a general location would automatically be suspect....but spammers probably aren't really going to hang around anyways, so their post will be enough evidence.

Y'all could pin point my neighborhood if you wanted to, then goto the satellite map site and zone in on my house if I gave one more decimal point in the coordinates.

11. bamabikeguy

I started editing our spam, make it more palatable, featuring pix from OKLAHOMA.

[​IMG]

Since we don't have an active member to post a map, and possessing a hundred idle OKLAHOMA bike pix....

Hope ya don't mind if I make Spam sandwiches.... :cool:

[​IMG]

12. APerson

APerson Guest

I though bots are all automatically deflected with that weired colorfull mix of numbers and letters that you had to enter in the box before registering.

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yeah...this is an old thread from the days of our free software...i had to holster up and go huntin' every morning...image-verification has made the wild-west days a thing of the past.