We need a chat room

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by DeathProof, Apr 8, 2012.

1. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

this place seriously needs a live chat room so if someones working on their bike and needs help the whole room can help out instantly instead of posting and waiting for responses. and for someone of us that are bored we can sit here all day talkin shop:grin5:

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

That's what a telephone is used for. I'd rather call or be called (in the US), before I'd type, but that's me. I can explain something (on the phone) a 100 times faster then I can type it.

3. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

trust me you would find it addicting instanty. i see your here everyday and live chatting would be perfect for u lol besides this is a computer its what it is made for to get information and communicate. chatting on phones is for old ladies

4. loquin

loquin Active Member

Chat can be good, but the help scrolls off the screen shortly after it's posted.

With a forum though, once the problem has been answered, the answer's still available for anyone with a similar issue to find, and view, even years later.

5. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

:rambo: your not making this easy!

6. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

:worship: maybe anton might want to change up the site and try new things who knows lol

7. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I'd give you 1,000 to 1 odds I wouldn't use it, but if someone asked me into chat, I'll get their number if possible, and call them. For many it might be nice.

I have never so much as pushed one key to text. I use my phone...if I have it with me...to make a call, look a number up in my address book, occasionally take a picture, alarm when out of town, and on occasion, answer it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

we should have a vote in the community.:gossip:

9. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

10. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

If I'm correct the last chat ended up being filled with spambots. Of course we could try one which is for members only to stop this problem.

11. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

yea that be cool anton i know id be on after work everyday and members would pour in when their bored its worth a try at least for a trial give it a month see wat happens!

12. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

after 150 views this becomes a hot topic on the board right? what does that tell u? lol

13. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

No, we don't need a chat room. Just because people are in a chat room so you can get "help" in real time doesn't mean you're going to be getting good advice. Chill out.

14. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

I'm all for a chat room...I think it would be a great addtion to the site.
    beleive me, those of you who don't want anything to do with a chat room, will find that it can be quite helpful, and actually fun.
    change is good, and it's always good for people to try new things.

15. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Chat Room,

I don't care if this forum has one or not. I don't personally participate in Chat Rooms.

Look at the other forum and not much is being conducted in the way of helping others on their MB projects.

Just like most cell phone conversations - much of nothing:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35193&stc=1&d=1334077584

This forum doesn't have as much activity as the other forum, so I don't see how the use of a Chat Room is going to be helpful since not many members are active anyways.

My 2 cents worth,

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  16. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

If you don't participate in forums then why do you post things on here?
    a forum is the message baord itself.
    a chatroom is something totally different.
    a chatroom can not only be helpful, but it kind of allows you to get to know other members better. once you strike up a conversation with someone, you never know where it will take you.
    posting messages is one thing, but using an instant chat is different when you "know" the person on the other end.....try it, you might like it.
    posting messages is kind of annymous and you have to wait for a response.
    with a chat room you get instant answers and instant responses.
    I don't think anyone should say that it's a bad idea, especially if they have never tried it.

17. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

motopsycho said it best : a chatroom can not only be helpful, but it kind of allows you to get to know other members better. once you strike up a conversation with someone, you never know where it will take you.
    posting messages is one thing, but using an instant chat is different when you "know" the person on the other end.....try it, you might like it.
    posting messages is kind of annymous and you have to wait for a response.
    with a chat room you get instant answers and instant responses.

18. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

This Is What Happens If You Say "old Farts" Lmfao!

You have received an infraction at MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum
    Dear DeathProof,

You have received an infraction at MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum.

Reason: Disrespected another member
    -------
    Be respectful to others. Do not use insults & play nice with other members.
    Please read the rules here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/announcement.php?f=85&a=5
    -------

This infraction is worth 14 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
    MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

19. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

motopsycho,

I meant that I don't participate in Chat Rooms - not forums - my bad. I'll edit my post.

The point I was trying to make was that since there is not a whole lot of activity on this forum, how is a Chat Room going to make a difference from posting a message? Who are you going to chat with? I think you'll still get a quick response posting a message.

I agree with you that chatting may lead you to getting to know others better.

In addition, I was making a point by posting the Chat Room from the other forum that not much is going on to help with MB problems - most of the time the members utilize PM.

I will restate - I am not against this forum having a Chat Room or others that want to participate in one.

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

20. Lunardog

Lunardog Member

I messaged Anton about this just the other day and personally think its a great idea. Waiting for a forum response to a question you cant find a good response or a picture to is a pain sometimes. And throwing a problem out into an open discussion often raises several new ideas that may not have been considered otherwise. Most chat applets allow for PM or private messaging so that if a Vet is assisting a newbie with a problem they can take it out of the main room and the answers wont scroll away, or another option is to pass usernames on Yahoo or some other such chat program for personalized assistance. The forum is an excellent source of archived data but sometimes the best help is real time. Just my, more than 2 cents worth, of opinion.