We Need A Welcoming Committee!

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by gone_fishin, Oct 9, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

no way the staff can handle our everyday chores and steer new members in the right direction with any sort of tact, we're stretched too thin and have to get to the point and move on to the next case...anyone want to try to form a welcoming committee that will sort of liase between the new folks and staff during those first few posts?

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I'm willing to intervene in that manner, in an informal way, if and when I notice such posts.
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

thank you...informal would do...and staff would be willing to point out the potential problems, allowing you and others to PM the person and get everyone on the same page. it's usually only 1 or 2, maybe 3, out of 10 new members...but, boy, when it hits, it hits hard.

anyone else?
  4. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I'd like to give it a shot. You might pm me some specific instructions.
  5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, we will work that stuff out...maybe gather a few important links for new folks...not sure yet whether to designate the committee official or what...even tho it'd be informal, staff would need to count on firmness & consistency, but i'm sure some regular folks (do we have "regular folks" here? ;) ) could be a lot nicer than an overworked admin or moddy...just got in this morning and will think on it today...

your ideas, posted here, about how you think it could/should work are most welcome.
  6. azbill

azbill Active Member

I think this is an excellent idea augi !
    saves us moddies from getting upset about the little things, so we can concentrate on the important stuff

one badly placed or already asked 100x question, bums me out and puts me in a 'mood' :D
  7. minibiker

minibiker Guest

i would be willing to help i feel that i know the site fairly well i have been through alot so far (well mabe not so much compared to you guys) i also know the bikes very well i think all i would need is a set of instructins or guidelines
  8. minibiker

minibiker Guest

alot of the site i mean
  9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

How about a forum area specificly for asking for assistance in finding threads dealing with specific topics? Just a thought.
  10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

huh? :confused: :lol:

you lost me, all i could think of was snappy answers like "it's called search" or "read the forum captions"... ;)

anyways...the problem i see is that (many) new internet folks aren't kennin' to the idea that a forum is not a chat or a blog, and it isn't a myspace thingy...certainly not a craigslist. forums operate in a certain way, MBc is a forum, and it's a forum that's run in old-school fashion in order to actually get things done :cool: :cool:

i saw what you did earlier...yaknow, i think more senior members are going to start doing that too. because it's about time you all, the ones who stick, claimed your stake in MBc. folks wanna come in and ask you all for help, then they can do it the right way :-/

3 beers doin' the talking (i'm in for the night)...too harsh? :rolleyes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  11. azbill

azbill Active Member

not harsh at all
    and I noticed vans comment too
    way to step up dude :D
  12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

on a brighter note, it's awful nice to have had so many recent sign-ups who are MBc material...

the j'int is surely rockin'!
  13. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Augie, re your reference to what I did earlier. I didn't quite catch whether you approved or not.
    As for the idea I put out there, it was just an idea. I assume that many young people are more facile in their computer use than I am, so all I can do is make wild guesses about how best to "direct" them. The phrase "herding cats" comes to mind.

No need to worry about being too harsh with me. I hope I can accept criticism graciously.
  14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

van, i was joshing you the whole way (go read it again to see)

i completely dig your attitude about herding the cats, & you're nicer about it than i can usually be. i'll have more time for the situations that need a heavier hand, there's always one of those on the horizon, but y'all know i love a good shootout, so... :evil:

15. Jim H

Jim H Guest

I would offer my services Augi but by the time I got the info out the newby would be five steps ahead of me, not to mention my impatience and abrasive (at times) attitude. I am working on that though. There are a lot of good candidates for this who've already stepped up.
  16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, anyone here has the right to ask someone to intro themself...if you see someone wander into the place and they make it clear they didn't read or heed my very clear welcome message, then go ahead and say something...this is your place and i think you should want to know who's asking for, or maybe even demanding, your time & help. shoot, if you don't wanna speak up, then just ignore an improper 1st (2nd, 3rd, 4th...) post, that outta do it.

the more you all take control of the social situation, the more effective the staff can be in keeping the shop tidy :cool:
  17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

bump BUMP BUMP!!

we sooo need some forum-mentors...it's not a full-time job, but without some help all i have time for is my usual brusque "guidance" and lockdown.

if we can get a small team together, i could manually shunt the obvious trouble-user (meaning new person, not bad person) into a usergroup that can only use a specific forum until they cut their teeth. only mentors would be able to work in there...and i'd be able to see in a flash how new folks work with the mentors, if they're just not interested in helping themselves by learning, we can send 'em packing.

18. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Dog, you know I've already volunteered to help in any way I can. Use me, man, use me. Just don't abuse me. :grin:
  19. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

zev! i posted a topic (about your offer) in the staff area last week, and sorry to say it's been overlooked with all this other stuff going on...in the works, now...thanks for yer patience :)

i won't abuse you, but i can't speak for the group...it can be a tough crowd ;) :lol: :p
  20. Stink Bike

Stink Bike Member

I agree with Alakavan.
    As a newbie (which I am) this site take a little while to get used to and the "search" doesn't always seem to come up with the right answers.