Weard noise at 22 mph or faster...

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by sherryc8641, Mar 17, 2007.

1. sherryc8641

sherryc8641 Guest

Just reciently for the last 7 times i have ridden my bike it has been making weard vibrating noises when i have been going faster than 22mph. I know I can go faster than 22 mph but for that reason I go less than 22mph. I checked every thing on my bike, even the chain, and it was none of that stuff. So I decided it was the motor. Which a day ago I found out I was right. By putting my ear next to it, listening when it was iddling. It seems to come from the carberator. But also mabe from the big main gears on the side of the engine behind the metal cover. What should I do?

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

you could start taking things apart until you find something obviously wrong?

3. Butch

Butch Guest

The same thing happened to me a while ago. It turned out the black cover with the eagle on the side was vibrating against the motor. Just a thought.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

You say it's either the carb or the gears...that's a pretty wide assessment.
    What is the "weird" sound? A grinding? whirring?
    Try to explain it and does the bike vibrate?

5. Butch

Butch Guest

Disregard my previous post. I thought you were talking about a GEBE motor.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Have you double checked all your bolts for tightness?

7. sherryc8641

sherryc8641 Guest

My bike makes no grinding or whirling noise. Just vibrating. It makes me feel like something is going to fall off. Also later today i will check my bolts.

8. foyeburger

foyeburger Guest

check the top tube under the gas tank thats what it sounds like to me when my frame cracked so check over the bike frame thats what my rat fink bike was doing wierd vibrations at about 20 to 22 miles per hour just a thought larry ca

9. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I would *carefully* remove the gear cover, and check to make sure there is still a *small* amount of grease (a little dab'll do ya') on the gears. That's what was needed on my 80 after a few hours/miles...
    Just a thought.
    If you do this carefully enough, you can re-use the gasket, but if it tears at all you'll have to replace the gasket.

10. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

yes....I let one of mine get dry and you wouldn't believe the amount of metal "dust" I found in there. without a little grease in there it really wears the gears away.
    My "dab" is about the size of a navy bean....right where the gears mesh.

11. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Yup, that little 'navy bean' dab is just about right. I made the mistake on my first engine of dabbing too much grease in there. What a mess!!!
    It doesn't take much, but if it's dry it'll make a heck of a racket, and wear away the teeth in a new york minute!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

About that, you can make a gasket really easily if you use some RTV blue/black/copper, or use "form a gasket". It's cheap, easy and you don't have to wait for the parts to show up.

13. Thejman

Thejman Guest

yeah i just had to make my own gasket, go to your auto parts store and ask for gasket material to make a gasket. The one i got was from o rileys(also pick up a hobby knife to cut it out), it was 7$ and you get a packet of 4 different thickness gasket material about 8inch by 8 inch quite a lot. I only needed a piece for my pipe, Solved my oil leak problem so far as i found out the cheap o it came with burnt the bottom off -_- so its working great now!. Now I just need to solve the high rev and vibration i get sometimes it does not catch :(

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Check your clutch plate for left over oil residue.

15. sherryc8641

sherryc8641 Guest

Still making noise.

I just greases, didn't over grease :evil: , the gears on the one side of the engine. It seemed to really need it. Then I rode it but it still made the same noise. I'm now thinking the pistion or something in the engine might be creating the noise. I still cheking all of your sugestions too. Still throw them at me.

16. sherryc8641

sherryc8641 Guest

I think I got ride of it!!!

Well ok. I tightened the tank, carberator, clutch cord, mufler, and some other bolts ans with all of that i've got ridden of the vibrating noise. I so excited that now I think it's gone for good. Thanks to you guys. Thanks.

I might be picky now but now I hear this noise of my engine going ring ring... ring ring... ring... ... ring... Which only happens after I go a fast speed of 20 mph or faster making the bike go slower (by 3 mph or more). I only can avoid this sound if I slow down very slowly by 1 mph at a time. Which I can see on my bike Bell Spin Dometer. When I increase in speed or stat constant it doesn't make this noise. (I definatly don't take this sound as seriously as the other one though.)

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Idler pulley on the chain? Loose gard (sp) or cover?

18. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

y

do u have some kinda carrior on the back of your bike?

19. sherryc8641

sherryc8641 Guest

I'll do something to the pulley on the chain and chain gard. Also I'll take off trhe bike lock on the back of my bike and tell you whats up.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ah HA! I bet you a dollar it's the lock rattling around.