Weed eater bike emissions

To gain acess to the CC just PM @Tom.

Now can we get off of the political disscussion of climate change and back to the OP's original thought of emissions on small 2 stroke engines? I hope Lou sees this.....he has alot of good info.

I've seen lots of exaggeration on both sides of the issue on this, but here's the calculations I did...

Part of the problem is that there are different units of measurement involved: auto emissions are measured in grams per mile, but small engine emissions are measured in grams per KW per hour.

c02 is harmless completely harmless. Yes you can and do breath it every second of every day. Even if there weren't a single car, bike, forest fire, volcano, or fart on the planet it's a necessary vital part of life. We exhale co2 all our lives and trees need it to breath, and we need the oxygen from trees.

Glad to hear others here are wise to the money scams.

The pollutants that are real, the smog in cities isn't co2 and is a real issue, but you don't hear the governments actually say anything about it because they need that gas tax revenue, they'd just like you to pay them more money.

2 strokes are dirty period. Not so bad with tiny ones, you have nothing on busses and deisel trucks which is really where the auto emissions should be focused but if you care about the environment go 4 stroke next time around. Tiny 4 strokes there's no way in **** they are worse than even the best car, unles that car is electric. If emissions were really an issue the government cared about they'd push hho generators with tax credits for those who use them on their cars and trucks. They increase mpg at least a little, a lot in older cars, and help give a much cleaner burn which is most important just by adding a bit of hydrogen in the burn. It only takes 5% more than atmospheric levels added to make a big difference. Even the best most modern gas car engine is only around 25% efficient, not even counting the waste in putting that power to the ground, or carrying 2 tons of extra weight just to carry a single person around most of the time.

No most little engines can't run a hho generator, you'd need at least a decent size magneto or alternator that has more power than you need for running lights to break water bonds with electrolysis, and most small bicycle engines don't have enough output or any.
If your little engine does put out power, 12v, more power than you need for lights, then you can gain mph adding a tiny tiny hho unit, look on youtube for hho scooters improvements, you'll find 50cc scoots gaining as much as 7-9mph top speed with better mpg and cleaner smelling exhaust.

Here's one example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LefuP-b8hXo

You don't even have to buy hho generators you can make them, especially tiny ones for small engines are piece of cake easy.

If your engine has no 12v output like most tiny 2 strokes and you want to be more environmental, maybe to have people to think you're running used french fry oil, try castor based 2 stroke oil like castor 927 or something. It's distilled from a bean, mostly, they all have synthetic additives in them now too though. If you've never smelled castor before you will never forget how good it smells after your first try. Sweet sweet smell. I'll never run anything else, if I ever have a 2 stroke again, just because I love that smell ever since my days of sand dune riding on 2 stroke quads in the 90's. And hey, bean vs dinosaur...

Last edited:
I like microdiesel engines. I have yet to see them on bicycles except for a 1950's Lohman diesel engine with a friction roller. I think microdiesels could be very efficient bicycle power engines or small scooter-motorcycle engines, and surely could be made to run on grain fuels or dino fuels.

Here is something you might like NWOHater; a 25cc 1.5hp 4 stroke propane powered Lehr pull-start engine on a Staton Drive kit. (20-25mph)
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/images/products/preview/3707.jpg
3707.jpg

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/pro...ne_Four_Cycle_Eco_Friendly_Engine-1140-0.html store
It is intended to be pedal assist setup and get high mileage. It runs on green cans, which you can refill with a bbq grill tank in your yard for more savings.

If your engine has no 12v output like most tiny 2 strokes and you want to be more environmental, maybe to have people to think you're running used french fry oil, try castor based 2 stroke oil like castor 927 or something. It's distilled from a bean, mostly, they all have synthetic additives in them now too though. If you've never smelled castor before you will never forget how good it smells after your first try. Sweet sweet smell. I'll never run anything else, if I ever have a 2 stroke again, just because I love that smell ever since my days of sand dune riding on 2 stroke quads in the 90's. And hey, bean vs dinosaur...

i love castor927 my favorite smell ever. and the carbon build up isn't as bad either

Yea I've been watching the thread on the lehr propane engine and watched a couple video's of it on bikes, sounds ideal except for the 25cc size. That's just not enough for me since there are hills around here. I also reasearched the refill process already and would definately do that otherwise it wouldn't be practical financially.

I watched a couple video's of bikes running it already, and the tiny go carts, not bad but 35cc is the minimum I could handle, and honestly that's not enough just 35cc is the legal limit here. I'd really rather find a 50 or 80 I can pass off as a 35 by changind the markings or something for legality.

But I'm watching craigslist for a super cheap one, broken or something, to play with. I'd like to see how that carb is made and if it may be possible to drill it out and make it work on a larger engine, at least a 35cc or copy it scaled up to a larger engine.

I also looked into propane lawnmower conversions and that looks so so simple, it almost seems like a valve with a closed limit and open limit would be enough to be a carb, but have more research to do before I can be sure about that. If any of you have one of those and want to take some pics or video of the carb and pull it and show how it works it would sure be appreciated.

Mmmm castor oil smell, I feel like I miss it like a drug. Mini deisel on straight natural castor vegetable oil you can just get from the store would be so awesome... I wonder what the cost and mpg on that would be, or how hard starting. I'd love to see one if you know where to find it on youtube or if anyones done that already. I'm not sure if the emissions on that would be better than propane or even 4 stroke on gas though. Anyone know?

Last edited:

I just won a science fair running a 2 stroke with regular kitchen veggie oil. Smells good, but probably bad lubrication.

re: 2x running on veg oil

Was it filtered WVO or fresh cooking oil? Did you run gasoline with the VO as a lubricant, or run the engine on straight VO?

It seems possible to me the china kit or a weeder type engine could run on VO, but would be hard to start without a carb heater or fuel line heater, and would probably run rough (dieseling instead of spark ignition).

Did you use a glow plug, like on r/c engines? That might do.

Sorry bout that. I ran it using unused veg oil a the lubricant. I could have used WVO (waste veggie oil) but i would have to get a filter off the internet(under 10 bucks). I was going to run it on straight veg oil but I thought it wouldn't work well. I should try it, just for fun, though.

Back