Welcome to MY White Zone (volunteers needed)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gone_fishin, Jan 26, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yaknow, i'm member #32, joined in october of last year.

when i got here, there were less than 800 posts, i think...i'm too damned tired to figure it out exactly.

since then, i've put every skill and minute i could muster & spare into building this forum because i love it.

i've welcomed about 80 new members and chased half that many spammers away.

i've read every word of about 3700 posts. that's three THOUSAND seven HUNDRED posts i've read & moderated.

i've helped who knows how many people out with logon problems, posting problems, upload problems...and about 75% of those coulda been avoided if the faq's, rules, tips, & suggestions had been read.

i've guided and advised tom on everything i know of on how to build & nurture a forum. i went looking for new things when i ran out of things. what i couldn't find, i invented, with tom's marvelous support. i'm a week away from going out of pocket to provide this community with its "own" internet radio show and weekly chat room, through sponsorship of matty grant's "extreme velocity" show at irock109.

all of the above has taken place in only three short (but eternal) months. i really can't imagine going it alone for a few more months and all the numbers have doubled or tripled.

the growth speaks for itself: i know what the heck i'm doing.

but yaknow what? i don't get to have any fun anymore. yaknow why? because i always have to be the bad guy. i don't have time to ask more than once for cooperation, i don't have time to explain again & again that we're trying to build a society that could be THE next big wave in alternative transportation and social awareness.

i don't get to play anymore. and that s*cks. noone responds to my posts anymore because i'm the jerk who's always pushing people around.

i've asked a few times for volunteers, no response. i've repeatedly posted how you can help me by moderating your own content, very few responses. hehe, NOW i get no responses to my regular personal posts because it seems i don't get to be the moderator and a member of the community i helped build.

a forum like this one requires hard*ss moderation because we need to be open to all walks, ages, cultures, areas, modes, you name it. well, actually it wouldn't need to be so tightly controlled if some of you would control yourselves & if others would use decent subject tags and pay more attention to proper placement of new topics. don't expect content & organizational guidelines to lighten up, we intend to grow and maintain an acceptable reputation.

i NEED volunteers to take over specific forums so i can take a break & once again enjoy myself around here.

volunteer candidates please PM me with how & where you'd like to help. ideally, i'd like to have a moddy who's quailified in each specific forum area so i'd only have to check in periodically. just because you don't think you know how to help doesn't mean you can't learn.

after this, i'll either have the help i need or i'll just have to keep rushing around patching things up and bumming out when threads (and friends) go right around my input or ignore my personal questions & comments.

so, do i get to belly up to the bar with my buds or do i have to stay here by the door playing the *sshole 'cuz noone else wants to pitch in?

[​IMG]

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i woke up this morning and sed "oh, man, augie, what have you done?"

well, all i did was say how i feel right now...sometimes i just want to come in here and joke around with my buddies or maybe learn something new.

it's been a bit discouarging to feel as if because i'm the local sherrif noone wants to party with me. my personal life has gotten extremely busy, and ironically it's the result of this board's growth & popularity.

right now i'm jumping thru govt hoops, locally, and on the state & federal levels too. we are going to be opening a bike shop, it's reality. but more reality is there is a lot of butt to kiss.

folks, i'm pretty worn out & am just a volunteer here...i was hoping by now more peeps would have come forward wanting to help me out.

my OP is the culmination of me trying to keep a lot of pans going on only a limited number of burners.

here's hoping for a positive response to my desperate plea for relief.

3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

el sabrina dos es muy hermoso

gotta love that seat dude!!! nice job!!!!!

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

hehe, you noticed that eh? still gotta trim the bottom of the sissy bar, but thanks :)

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Nobody wants to volunteer? We should inlist the draft.... :evil:

6. jwibbity

jwibbity Guest

yes the draft................MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

Now yas dun it! :evil:

right here (this thread) right now, MBc is accepting nominations for moderators...who do you think could or would or
    should be a moderator on your messageboard?

tell us where you think they'd be a great moddy & why, nothing fancy... 8)

this doesn't obligate anyone to do anything, but i bet we could build a pretty good initial-staff this way...try it?

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, this is a totally on-topic post.

i nominate srdavo as a good guy to have on the team.

why? he's got friendly words for everyone, check around. he's my friend, i've met him in chat a coupla times now. he's got good taste in music. and his spelling's ok, too :p

oh yeah, and...he's already volunteered. it looks like he may get started on tagging some important threads. then we're gonna cut him loose on moving a few topics into more suitable forums. this should start in a week, maybe a lil llonger. i bet he'd really be appreciative if you'd post some ideas in Forum Help & Suggestion Box.

9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Thanks Augie, for the kind words. I really enjoy this forum. Seems I learn something everytime I log on. As I told Augie, I would be proud to help with our forum. And thet's exactly what it is, folks.... our forum. Tom & Augi have created this space for us and have been doing a great job.
    So, come on guys, let's give them a hand here. I'm sure if anyone can find an hour (or two) a week to help, it would be appreciated. The man/hours really would add up if several members volunteer.
    I do have one request from the whole group: Keep your knowledge and experience coming.
    Any thoughts on how to make this forum better, easier etc. Let's hear em. Forum Help & Suggestion Box
    thanks
    Dave

10. Wheels

Wheels Guest

Thanks srdavo for helping with moderation, this is a great site, good to see members pitching in to support Tom and Augie. Building a community for all enthusiasts. Keep rolling out the innovations and evolution of alternative transportation.

wheels

11. Cookie

Cookie Guest

Thank you

Augie as one of your hemroids problems I want to thank you for all the help you have given me and all the work you do for the site. (I will try harder to do better :evil: :D )

As a small business owner myself and a vet that has had to jump the red tape your work has just begun LOL but it is worth all the head aches if I can help with the red tape let me know I do not know the laws up there but some of the fed stuff I can help with. You will find that once the business gets open your time is not your own esp during the busy months. I sneak in the site when I have glue drying or the work has slacked off.
    If you need an insurance reference or some thing just e mail me I will try to help you by sending you to some people or organizations to help.

best of luck

Cookie

12. etheric

etheric Guest

oh man. reading that made me think of seeing a reply where you asked me about pictures of me riding through blueberries, but I hadn't been on in a while and there were a bunch of replys after yours, so I didn't want to post so late after the fact...and didn't.
    I don't have any more pics though. Our engine in sitting on a workbench right now anyways.
    We are all appreciative of your work and time, and I hope people express that through their time.

PM sent Augi.

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

cookie & jiwibbity...thanks for the encouraging feedback :)

etheric and wheels...thank you both very much for your selfless offer to help... 8)

anyone who needs to learn a bit about being a moderator read the FAQ and explore the phpBB userguide, when you're ready to give it a shot let me know & we'll start to organise ourselves into "areas of patrol."

meantime, i've started a usergroup for MBc Volunteers, volunteers will be getting an email "invite." after you've accepted the invite, you should be able to see a new forum at the bottom of the main page called "Volunteers." hope to see you there soon.

ps: start thinking about what you'd like to say in your personal "mission statement."

14. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

thanks wheels & etheric for helping. and thanks to tom & augie for bringing us aboard.
    dave

15. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 Guest

Hey Augie, i was reading ur post, there, and I was thinking, hey that'd be kool if i could help somehow, so I went to the link you posted for the Faq's and phpBB userguide which I was attempting to "explore" I have no idea where to begin, but I wouldn't mind keeping watch of a "section" of the forum. "sections" example: tech help. I don't know what the name is for these links or i just forgot or something. Let me know how I could be of help. I'm in college and I go home on the weekends, but I usually have a little to some time during the week to help out. I haven't been here for long, but anywho...

-Pianoman

16. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 Guest

haha...also, speaking of the draft...this is of no relevance at all, but I'd be in the military right now if it weren't for a bike accident when i was 8, had to have a kidney removed, so they (the service) won't let me in seeing as i only have one kidney... anywho, some random rambling on here... draft i like that.

-pianoman

17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

thanks pianoman...keep reading the userguide about moderating, section 5 i think, gimme a pm whenever you're ready 8)

18. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Help

Hey, I could help with the legal section. I used to be a cop. I used to work in law enforcement for 5 years.

19. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

The quote above, still holds true.
    there are a couple changes..... we've gone from 3700 posts to nearly 25,000.
    And, with 550 plus members... the knowledge and experience continues to flow!

that's my bump!!

20. minibiker

minibiker Guest

maybe after i get to know this place a little better (a month??? no less well ah idunno) i would be willing to help anywhere nessesary