Weld the sprocket!?

losenup

Local time
9:20 AM
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it can be done but I guess the obvious question is why? Personally, If I were inclined to do it, I'd find a guy in my neighborhood who does small welding jobs. You can get a freewheel with sprocket mounted mechanically but I don't know where to get it off hand.

Why!?
Because the wheel, and sprocket moves over time, ever so slightly. I want a permanent mount wich I can rely on.
The engine feels really reliable, but the drivechain...nono

I would most like to have a belt drive, but thats to complicated to fix. Maybe some kits will come up in the future with beltdrive. Less noise, and lining upp the engine and spocket perfectly becames less important.

unless you have found some magic source I highly doubt you have lucked onto the only stainless bike hubs I've heard of in years, l;ikewise your sprocket is allmost cirtinly not stainless. That said you can weld or braze any 2 metals together

furthermore you will then hence impede changing/ replacing and properly truing your spokes this would be why not, frankly as a wheel master if you brought me a wheel that you had tiged a sprocket to to straiten I would sugest you build a new wheel

But nor the sprocket or the hub gets rusty!? So you dont think its stainless then? I dont know, I just asumed, but stainless is quite exepnsive so it shouldnt be stainless.

So you say its possible to weld to different metaltypes together?
Ill try, the weldingtransform-kit cost only $60

As been said above, they not stainless, the hub if its a cheap one probably mild steel and chromed, if it medium to high quality hub, it will be aluminium.
The sprocket will be mild steel.
Your a noob to welding?
If you can't weld your in trouble.

1st if you could weld you still would have trouble with making mild steel and alu stick together

2nd If you did manage to do it you would warp the hub and never be able to put wheel bearings back

3rd unless you strip it to a bare hub and weld it in a lathe you will never get it straight.

Oh and brazing is ocxy/acet with a bronze rod and flux, you cant braze with an electric welder

t be frank those $60 would be much beter spent on a disk brake mount sprocket. Having a welder is great byt those same bucks could also put you in a weldng class at your local technical college on the weekend. There you could use real welders under the trained eye of instrucors.

I have now bought me a welding gear for $100, and it worked out great :)
The sprocket is now firmly at place and will never losen or scew in any way.
I do recomend this.

Well if you weld that sprocket what are you gonna do if a spoke breaks and that sprocket is keeping you from replacing it?
Maybe if you have a spoke-less rim it may be cool but what if your bearing cage wears down? Then you gotta get a new wheel and look for another sprocket.
Then there's the alignment issue. Once you get it welded on and it's off by a smidgen,your bike will know.
It will most definitely know.

I have to agree with everyone else - welding a sprocket in place is a bad idea.
  • Sprockets wear down with time. Since you can never replace your sprocket, you're screwed.
  • Alignment is tough.
  • Welding changes metals - they get brittle near the weld, and softer away from the weld. When the existing metal deforms under stress, or breaks, you're screwed.
  • Welding warps metal. Unless you take great care while welding, you're screwed.

Back