Weld the sprocket!?

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by losenup, Jun 27, 2008.

1. losenup

losenup Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008

2. Norm

Norm Member

Maybe it can be done but I guess the obvious question is why? Personally, If I were inclined to do it, I'd find a guy in my neighborhood who does small welding jobs. You can get a freewheel with sprocket mounted mechanically but I don't know where to get it off hand.
  3. losenup

losenup Member

Because the wheel, and sprocket moves over time, ever so slightly. I want a permanent mount wich I can rely on.
    The engine feels really reliable, but the drivechain...nono

I would most like to have a belt drive, but thats to complicated to fix. Maybe some kits will come up in the future with beltdrive. Less noise, and lining upp the engine and spocket perfectly becames less important.
  4. unless you have found some magic source I highly doubt you have lucked onto the only stainless bike hubs I've heard of in years, l;ikewise your sprocket is allmost cirtinly not stainless. That said you can weld or braze any 2 metals together

furthermore you will then hence impede changing/ replacing and properly truing your spokes this would be why not, frankly as a wheel master if you brought me a wheel that you had tiged a sprocket to to straiten I would sugest you build a new wheel
  5. losenup

losenup Member

But nor the sprocket or the hub gets rusty!? So you dont think its stainless then? I dont know, I just asumed, but stainless is quite exepnsive so it shouldnt be stainless.

So you say its possible to weld to different metaltypes together?
    Ill try, the weldingtransform-kit cost only $60
  6. As been said above, they not stainless, the hub if its a cheap one probably mild steel and chromed, if it medium to high quality hub, it will be aluminium.
    The sprocket will be mild steel.
    Your a noob to welding?
    If you can't weld your in trouble.

1st if you could weld you still would have trouble with making mild steel and alu stick together

2nd If you did manage to do it you would warp the hub and never be able to put wheel bearings back

3rd unless you strip it to a bare hub and weld it in a lathe you will never get it straight.

Oh and brazing is ocxy/acet with a bronze rod and flux, you cant braze with an electric welder
  7. t be frank those $60 would be much beter spent on a disk brake mount sprocket. Having a welder is great byt those same bucks could also put you in a weldng class at your local technical college on the weekend. There you could use real welders under the trained eye of instrucors.
  8. losenup

losenup Member

I have now bought me a welding gear for $100, and it worked out great :)
    The sprocket is now firmly at place and will never losen or scew in any way.
    I do recomend this.
  9. Well if you weld that sprocket what are you gonna do if a spoke breaks and that sprocket is keeping you from replacing it?
    Maybe if you have a spoke-less rim it may be cool but what if your bearing cage wears down? Then you gotta get a new wheel and look for another sprocket.
    Then there's the alignment issue. Once you get it welded on and it's off by a smidgen,your bike will know.
    It will most definitely know.
  10. loquin

loquin Active Member

I have to agree with everyone else - welding a sprocket in place is a bad idea.
    • Sprockets wear down with time. Since you can never replace your sprocket, you're screwed.
    • Alignment is tough.
    • Welding changes metals - they get brittle near the weld, and softer away from the weld. When the existing metal deforms under stress, or breaks, you're screwed.
    • Welding warps metal. Unless you take great care while welding, you're screwed.
  11. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

livefastmotors.com has a clamshell sprocket If I had the 50 clams, that's what I'd be using on my current ride.
  12. Madwack

Madwack Member

Sprocket Adaptor/ Hub Mount for OCC Stingray Chopper:

maybe u can adapt something similair to this......my sprocket is bolted to this peice of metal and it is bolted onto the hub...6 holes had to be drilled

and no im not selling these...hehe 2nd post tonight ive posted about this adapter :)

just a good idea

13. losenup

losenup Member

The thing Ive experienced is that, its quite impossible to align the sprocket when clamping it in place, when tightening, it moves. When welding it doesnt move at all, never. When clamping it on the sprocket it moves after time and the chain starts to jump of all the time.
    Most annoying.
    If a sprocket goes, its quite easy to replace, but who replaces ONE broken sprocket?
    The bike is från the 1930:s and if no spring has broken yet, why should it ever? :)
    If the tire totally destroys in someway I always can weld a knew one, becuase ive still got the welding gear att my service :)

I still recomend this if you want a reliable sprocket with total alignment, and for a small cost you got a welding gear at hand för other projects.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  14. hurricane

hurricane Member

reviving old topic

I would like to bring this topic back from the dead.

You CANNOT weld aluminum to mild steel for any permanant repair. But many of the cheaper bike wheels out there use basically mild steel hub and parts,same for the chromed sprockets. So they can easily be welded if both materials are the same or similiar IE:stainless to mild steel

I also am tired of the rag joints for sprocket fit up ,so yesterday I disassembled my rear coaster brake wheel and "tig fused " my chrome mild steel 34 tooth sprocket to my coaster hub with success. After I was finished I scuffed the chrome sprocket and repainted to match my bike. I did have to modify my dust cap and brake arm to fit properly, then I tig welded those two things to the hub lock nut .

This mod is permanant so if my wheel or spokes get broken I will have to replace entire wheel assembly.So i did this mod on a cheap bike wheel. And the results look very nice and clean.
  15. unior

unior Member

Show me where you bought a tig setup for $100 lol.
  16. hurricane

hurricane Member

I do not think he got a tig set up for $100,most likely it was a cheap gasless wirefeed welder.

Ok I have to back up on my last statement about welding a sprocket to a rear hub,yes it does work nut you had better make sure your chain is alighned perfect before you test it out.

Today after many many hours of perfecting my new build with welded sprocket , I drove it for less than one block and the chain jumped track and jambed hard on the inboard wheel hub,of the sprocket next to the spokes. Well now I have all the spokes bent and in need of another real wheel . Geez the work just never stops when you custom something ya know .

Now Im going to purchase a clam shell connector from manic mechanic and give that a try after I find a new wheel.

BTW Im building on a huffy cranbury ,so it is nothing to special just looked nice is all.
  17. hurricane

hurricane Member

Yea that clam shell looks to me that it is the perfect match im looking for also.

Oh by the way I own/operate a welding business. Nuff said:bowdown:

18. frameteam2003

frameteam2003 Member

Question again is why? That is "WHY" don't you buy a staton hub that has threads on both sides.or a hub made for a dis brakes and adapt the sprocket to it---lots of better ways to attach a sprocket than welding.But I do agree a solid fit is good---sam
  19. hurricane

hurricane Member

Sam, to answer the "why"

It is faster and cheaper to weld it to the hub,atleast in my case.

Had my chain alighnment been better it would have served me well. Most people dont have the tig experience to fuse weld a sprocket to a hub and you cannot mig weld it due to excessive weld build up. I just wanted to try it once and see how it would work.

It sure looked awesome though as it almost made the sprocket appear magically held onto the hub .