well balanced rack mount

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by eastwoodo4, Jul 5, 2009.

1. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

This is my latest home brew.Its well balanced and since ive added the tensioner its working well.the front wheel is off to show it balances on the front forks.Theres more pics in the picture section.Top speeds over 40 on flat ground.The pics could be better in imo.I was the first to use this setup but i dont think ill be the last.

On another note what do yall think about using the drive sprocket for a break rotor?you know dual function?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I like what you're doing with your build.

I've long had the inkling to do something similar, had this pic in my archive for some time now:
    xtracycle.jpg
    This one is a right side chain to a Nuvinci.

Couple of questions...just read through the pics gallery thread and wondering what you've settled on for gearing, chain vs belt, and did you scrap the belt idea?
    Also, is it possible to explain a bit or post a pic of how this setup is attached to the frame?
    Thanks.

3. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

If i had the money i would convert it to belt for coolness,quietness, and a few other reasons.What ive settled for right now is basically the same gearing i had before.What was happening before was the chain would get a little bit of slack and when it would come off and hang up the wheel it was busting the clutch shoes off.But now with the tensioner ive got over 100 miles on it and its fine.will try and post another pic of the mounts tomorrow.

4. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

Just added a speedometer from walmart.Now i can keep track of my miles.:)

5. kerf

kerf Guest

What kind of gear box you running, it looks interesting.

6. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Everything sure tucks in there tight.

Nice work!!

8. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

Thank you!

9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I like the neat, compact look ! Does your butt get hot ??

10. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

No it doesnt get hot.

11. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

quick update.the free wheel froze up on that rim and snapped the skinny bar that goes thru the hollow axle.so i had to get another rim with a solid axle and put the sprocket on it.was only down about a week if that.been about a month since i put the speedometer on and im only at 250 miles in a month.so im not putting the miles on this one that i did my friction drive.

12. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

ALWAYS use a regular axle. Much stronger than the " skewer."

13. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

im up to 450 miles.i remounted the back sprocket with rubber like they do on the happytime kits.i also did something a little different with the chain tensioner so the chain cant pop of of it.nnow i feel safe doing 40. :)

14. loquin

loquin Active Member

Nice build. Is that the Mistubishi TLE43?

The only issue I would have with a sprocket/brake combo is that you would need to be very careful when lubricating the chain, to avoid any lube getting on the brake pads...

15. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

its a chinese clone with a pocket bike tranny.

16. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

im up to 600 miles.pull starter busted.going to buy a new one.i put a new gas tank on it.

17. eastwood, i really like your setup and am trying to do the same thing but my problem is that the pocket bike cvt reverses the drive so it has to drive the right side of the bike not the left like i want. did you run into this problem and how did you correct it?

18. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  19. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

hd freewheel hub

a pic of the hd freewheel hub.crappy pic.

Attached Files:

20. Thanks for the info and the pic! Does that tranny reverse the drive? If it does, how are you driving the left side? Maybe I'm missing something.