Well I wrecked the Bike

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by stealthc9, Dec 22, 2008.

1. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

well i finished the vintage bike look, and on the huffy crankbrook i even support the fender even more in the front well, i gfuess that doesnt matter if u are swerving and slowing down quick from a car cutting u off when ur doing 35mph.

Well the fender wrapped around the wheel and i flipped the bike broke the rear motor mount and bent the back wheel.

Well i'm gonna get the wheel fixed, and buy a new tire. So I've been deciding on a motorcycle to buy when i get my license back. I've decided on a suzuki gs550t when i get my license back, as long as this guy still has it cuz i wanna do a cafe racer bike build....well i figure in the mean time i'll do a cafe racer build on a beach cruiser, using a banana seat, choppin the seat post down so my bana seat sits flush.

Headlight i may do a springer front end or i might just add a headlight like one of those. either way fenders on this bike are a no, front or rear. altho if i hadnt been riding down this certain street it probably wouldnt have happened and the guy probably through i was just some slow bicycle.

fortunately i didn't even tear my clothing, i had a hurt knee and a bloody lump on my shin. but all in all i escaped fine.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008

2. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Glad your OK,
    ya I have thought about fenders but I have read to many fender incidents.
  3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

surprized that a fender would do that -- how did it get into wheel
    someTHING come loose ?

ride that THING
  4. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

nope i'd imagine it just started bouncing, cuz i swerved over and there was bumps in the road so it probably shook it and caught it and ripped it off it's rivets
  5. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

the bike is still down, i'm gonna get a new wheel ...and i'm no longer going to use a coaster brake i'm just gonna put a front brake on from one of my other bikes....i think i might buy the new wheel wheel when i buy my trike
  6. madman

madman New Member

I just had my first wreck yesterday because my huffy rear fender wrapped around the rear tire. I"m not sure how fast I was going but I left 105 ft of marks before I went down. My knee got it good too from a curb. Live and learn. :jester:
  7. azbill

azbill Active Member

good to hear your damage was minimal...:cool2:
    I hope you didn't hurt that very cool bike !!!
  8. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Hope you are okay Madman.Sorry to hear about the bad news.Those fenders can really mess a guy up.Pretty easy to overlook a problem with them.

Preventive Maintenance is always a good thing with Mb's. Always check everything over before riding,it only takes a couple of minutes to do and saves alot of pain in the end.:ack2:

At my age things do not seem to heal as fast as they once did,go figure.:grin5::grin5:
  9. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yea Iam thinking about trashing my front fender, It's kinda cheap..
    and I know it's just a matter time
  10. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

All the same, wet weather is perfectly miserable without fenders.

I just won't do without them.

but you guys have reminded me to inspect them and to give some serious thought to some serious reinforcement.
  11. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Man this seems to happen a lot. I myself would not drive without one. I have a plastic two piece that I hope would just shatter if faced with what happened to you.
    Metal fenders seem to be a no-no.
    And poor Madman, I never heard of a rear fender doing that. Yikes!
  12. madman

madman New Member

I had just trimmed the rear fender to clear the chain and resinstalled it before I went riding. I looked at the front fender and it was cracked already. The fenders on the cranbrook are thin and apparently can't take the vibration of the motor. It looked better with fenders so I guess i'm gonna have to make some. Did I mention the bike I crashed I just put together for someone else? It broke the tank, tore the seat, broke the throttle, scratched the frame, the right pedal, bent the front wheel a little, and I had to realign the bars. If I would have slid three feet further before I fell I would have hit a mailbox post when my body flipped over the curb.:jester: