Well Nice Knowing U All I Just Threw My Bike In The Garbage So See Ya!

Then again Moto, A friend of mine bought a kit, just slapped it on quick as he could, and rode it HARD for a year and a half before leaving it in my backyard when he left the country. The engine still ran great but the frame was trashed, so I put the engine on another bike and sold it. Talk about LUCK!!!
Big Red.

that's awesome!
yeah a cheap bike will eventually fail.
I love hearing about someone just beating the **** out of a brand new engine, and the engine survives.

I'll take SimpleSimon's take on things a step further, which has applied in the past:

if I want something that others in the trade say can't be built; can't be designed or cannot even be invented, then I'll just go ahead and d.a.m.n well make it myself, even if it costs 10 times as much as being professionally made.

yes, i agree with you on this one.
but think about it this way...why should they make improvements? (to the typical h.t. engine kits)
they know the kits are cheap and that they will break, which opens up the market for spare parts (which are the same low quality).
this is also good for the aftermarket which makes better parts.
they know that people will buy these engine kits because they're cheap, they know that eventually something will break, which will lead people to buy spare parts (more money in the manufacturers pockets).
and then there's the aftermarket who knows the same thing, and that there are people out there looking to improve the engines or build them to make more power.
so in reality, cheap manufactured engines, cheap spare parts and the aftermarket, puts money in a lot of pockets (which is a good thing for them).
if they made quality and reliable engine kits that would last for 10,000 miles, the initial price for a h.t. kit would be 10 times what it is currently. Spare parts inventory and sales would be a lot lower than what it is now.
the aftermarket would still be able to sell parts, but i don't think they'd sell as much if the engines were real high quality (except for the speed parts.)

This is just my opinion, and there is a reason for the cheap, low quality of the h.t. kits....cheap engines, cheap parts, and low quality puts more money in their pockets in the long run.
If enough people would stop supporting the manufacturers of inferior quality parts and search for well-made aftermarket parts that will last, it would lead to breakthroughs in development of superior engines that will last thousands of trouble-free miles. These HT engines are basically well engineered, they are just built to a low price. Everyone needs to stop replacing junk with junk, and look for higher quality parts. Maybe then someone will develop a superior magneto, cdi, clutch setup, etc. that will fix the majority of the problems with these kits. I am looking into making a different clutch setup out of different materials, simply because the noise is driving me crazy, and it doesn't look like anyone else is going to do it. Just something is built to a low price doesn't mean it has to be junk. The Japanese got their foothold in world markets by exporting lower priced products that were well made from good materials, using lower laber costs to hold the price down. The Chinese have that advantage now, yet either won't or can't use the low cost labor to produce a better product, preferring to foist on us a cheap, unreliable product.

A superior CDI has been designed and available for purchase: Jaguar CDI

A superior intake has been designed and available for purchase: Rock Solid Engines reed valve intake system

A superior carburettor is available: Rock Solid Engines Walbro carburettor

A superior cylinder head is available: Manic Mechanic or Rock Solid Engines billet cylinder head

A superior clutch actuator is available: Manic Mechanic clutch actuator

A superior remanufactured Chinese bicycle engine is available: Rock Solid Engines replacement engine

It's getting there but,

a superior magnet needs to be manufactured,
a superior magneto needs to be manufactured,
a superior wet clutch and enclosure needs to be manufactured,
a superior 10 tooth output shaft sprocket needs to be manufactured

so,

we are already halfway there :)

Purple_Haze, it's time to step up and design and manufacture some of the items on the list that need updating

As my Dad used to say: Less talking and more "doing"

Chinese Engines

Ain't gonna happen Purple Haze. Too many people lookin for the cheap way to do things. After someones been into MB's for a while they start looking for better quality parts, but a first time builder, for the most part anyway, are just looking for a cheap toy. If the Chinese made a real quality engine kit it would be priced out of a lot of peoples reach. I'm kinda glad the kits are cheap, it gets a lot more people started in Motorbiking that would otherwise still just be driving their car around. The cheap kits also allow you to experiment with mods and upgrades that you wouldn't do on a kit that cost you an arm and a leg, so it allows you to learn about how a 2 stroke works and how to improve one.
If you will only settle for a quality engine then you're gonna hafta go 4 stroke. Honda makes a pretty good 49cc. Hua Sheng is all right for a knock-off. I've heard the Robin Subaru is a great engine and I'm sure their are several more. SO, their ARE a few decent quality engines out there. I don't really understand why everyone complains about the low quality 2 stroke engines. IF the Chinese produced a good engine then it would cost a LOT more. And, If you want quality, DONT BUY ONE. Go 4 stroke.
I'll just stick to my CHEAP 2 strokes, Put it together right and ride it like I stole it. It's easy enough to fix when it does break.
Big Red.

I wonder what the ratio is of MB riders who have the ability to fix or modify their bikes, to those who don't have a clue? Interested folks that have low $means and low ability deserve a better entrance into the MB experience. Too bad it always comes down to cash over quality. Thats not OK in my book. Yet I understand thats the way it is.

I wonder what the ratio is of MB riders who have the ability to fix or modify their bikes, to those who don't have a clue? Interested folks that have low $means and low ability deserve a better entrance into the MB experience. Too bad it always comes down to cash over quality. Thats not OK in my book. Yet I understand thats the way it is.
Graucho, I agree. I think that the very best thing we as members of MbC can do in the interests of promoting our hobby is to follow your example. Serve as mentors to interested youngsters, teach them proper tool usage, respect for machines, and thus build respect for themselves along with a sense of accomplishment when they can say to others, "Where'd I get this? I built it myself!"

Cash.

I'm not in love with the idea that it comes down to that either graucho, but it ALWAYS has. People with less cash flow have forever been saddled with a lesser choice. It SUCKS, but I'm one of those people. I got into this with NO knowlege of 2 strokes but with some mechanical skills. Theres a few people, even a few girls, (bless their hearts,) That are learning about engines and such simply because of the cheap Chinese 2 strokes. I think that if ALL engines were quality and cost a fortune, most people would do the same thing they do with their car, Take it to the shop.
I just feel that most people DO have a choice. Spend yer money on a quality 4 stroke or go for the cheapo 2 stroke stuff. Then, of course, their are some like me, that really can't afford $500 for a high quality engine kit. We poor folk just have to work a little harder and learn a little faster then those with a fatter bank account. But at least we CAN ride a Motorized bike without saving our pennies for several years. So HURRAY for cheap engine kits.
Big Red.

Graucho, I agree. I think that the very best thing we as members of MbC can do in the interests of promoting our hobby is to follow your example. Serve as mentors to interested youngsters, teach them proper tool usage, respect for machines, and thus build respect for themselves along with a sense of accomplishment when they can say to others, "Where'd I get this? I built it myself!"
EXACTLY SS. Thats what sites like this are for. I've only been here for a year and can't believe how much I've learned. THANKS EVERYONE.:bowdown:
Big Red.

Back