Wet Behind the Ears...

umeboshi

Local time
7:14 PM
This is Jim in Mississippi. Hi, guys. New here. I'm a retired school teacher, totally nontechnical, non-mechanically gifted. I can only identify the spark plug, the gas tank and the muffler on a small engine... but have gotten an itch to motorize a bike lately in my old age and buzz around town. I have gotten a 15 year-old bike out of storage and am changing the rotten tires.

I'm all ears, willing to learn, and have questions. I have pretty much narrowed my options down to two kits on the GEBE site and need to decide on the comparative virtues of 2 and 4-cycle engines. I'll be heading for your 'search' engine.

Your mercy and patience appreciated!

I'm in the same boat as you ... non-mechanically gifted.

I nearly ordered the GEBE but ended up with the Staton Friction kit instead. I've been pretty happy with it so far. I haven't ridden this week because it's been raining and I hear the roller slips when it's wet. And, of course, I don't particularly want to ride in the rain.

Good look with your GEBE or whatever kit you end up using.

Tracy

hey Jim
welcome aboard
I'm in Memphis TN, close to MS at least ;) have no idea where n MS you are though
lots of info here and the folks are pretty helpful also

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. The post I read today about being pulled over by the motorcycle cop and having to go to court...that prospect is sobering. I am interested in the rear rack mounted Subaru 35 cc with the GEBE setup... it doesn't exactly scream, "Morotcycle!!" in my estimation. How common is it for such a bike to attract the attention of law enforcement? Anyone here had any experience -- hearsay or otherwise -- with such a bike being pulled over?

I guess the gas crisis will eventually raise the profile of motored bikes and states & municipalities will be forced to define their status. I naively started my investigation into these bikes thinking the whole class was under the radar or interest of law enforcement. Duh! Odd how the things I've really enjoyed in life gradually turned out to be illegal! :) Not sure I wanted that much 'protection.' Thanks again, guys.

this place

I've found that this forum is a great place to get LOTS of information. I think you'll need to read up on the laws in your state. They vary a lot from state to state. For instance here in Mass I can ride a motorized bike with or with out pedals as long as it doesn't go over 50cc and 30mph I have to get a sticker from the state, but after that here in Mass we're good. BUT there is a whole thread and forum for the discussion of the laws.

Happy building!:D

Weclome! I ride by cops both on the street and sidewalk and they could care less here. But then again, they let 90 year olds turn right from the left lane here, too. Gotta love it.

Back