What are the worst conditions you have ever ridden in?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mattysids, Aug 22, 2009.

1. mattysids

mattysids Member

Anyone been through 3" per hour rain with no fenders?

i used sunglasses as goggles :sweatdrop:

phone was in pocket yet got so wet it no longer works

anyone out there wanna top that?

2. javelina1

javelina1 Member

heat, lots of heat. 115F. Gotta admit, the HT holds up fine in the AZ heat. :D

3. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

In our latest hurricane it rained so hard and the water kept rising, but I kept riding.

When I got home from work there was a fish in my pocket.:whistling:

4. Busaman

Busaman New Member

I think the fish in pocket topped you!:whistling:

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

riding a Harley home from LA to San Diego one night on freeway
    FOG was so thick we could only see maybe 10 to 15 feet in front of us
    semi truck passed us on the left side of bike going 55 mph maybe
    missing us by 2 ft
    could not wait to get out of that fog

if this happened again
    I would take the first off ramp to a motel !!!

MM

6. mattysids

mattysids Member

ahahahaha

the fish incident is pretty crazy!!!

7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Just messing with ya, Matty.:jester:

8. mattysids

mattysids Member

well up here in new england,

things like that really do happen because the weather is absolutely ridiculous

it has snowed in april and just has in the past has hit 70 degrees in the dead of winter

9. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

I once took my MB for a ride when it was 9 degrees F outside... And another day, more recently I was riding it to go pay some bills, and I felt a couple of sprinkles, a bit of wind... and whammo, 4 miles from home in a raging thunderstorm.

-Mark

10. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Riding on a muddy and hole-filled dirt road during hard rain. Impossible to pedal alone, and had to pedal with the engine to travel the road.

Riding 4 hours & 70+ miles to St Petersburg in 38 degree January weather.

Riding at 35mph in heavy rain on the way to work, and showing up soaked.

11. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I don't think I can top the soaked cell phone and I certainly can't top the fish in the pocket.

But I've ridden in horrible rainstorms. Don't mind it all that much.

I've also ridden at 5 (maybe even 10) deg below 0 F. It's do-able, but you have to dress up like Neil Armstrong on the Moon.

12. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I think my worst experience was in August of '82. I was riding about 12 miles east of Tyler, TX, on a lonely stretch of 2 lanr potholes - I won't call it a paved road, as there were more potholes than pavement. Anyway, it's pretty hilly, the road was winding around constantly, and one of East Texas' frog-drowners started. In those, you might get 15 inches/hr or more, if you are in the center of the storm cells track, which I was.

Visibility dropped to maybe 30 feet, and there really wasn't any safe place to shelter - I was as wet as if I'd jumped in a lake, instantly. That was bad enough, but then the rain slackened off and I thought, "Man, I'm glad that's over!".

Looked up, and just in front of me was a solid white wall coming at me about 40 mph. I had just enough time to get off the road and wrap my coat around my head before that wall of golf-ball to soft-ball sized hail hit me. Some of those hail stones were literally the size of softballs - one hit my headlight mount, and broke it off my bike - which was parked. It literally hammered me down to my knees, and beat me black and blue from head to foot.

Fortunately, such hail storms are rare, and usually of very short duration. Such was the case that day, but it left over an inch deep coat of ice on everything - the air temperature went from the mid 90's before the storm to maybe 35 in its immediate wake. I had to walk the bike about a mile before I reached pavement not coated in ice, and rideable.

13. mattysids

mattysids Member

oh wow!!!
    when i hear "Texas" i think drought and tornadoes
    not ice storms!!!

14. ollicat

ollicat Member

SimpleSimon, that is an amazing and unforgettable story!

15. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

This is a sweet thread!

One night I was coming home from work on my Katana600. It was just after dusk and pouring buckets out on the highway. Visibility was maybe 50 ft for objects lit by my headlights. And before I could have even reacted, I narrowly miss a half box spring and mangled mattress at 60mph... or however fast the traffic was flowing. If it wasn't for dumb luck who knows what would have happened with no reaction time. I was mindf***ed for a brief while after THAT ride.

16. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

"It literally hammered me down to my knees and beat me black and blue from head to toe."

Ding! Ding! Ding! We've got a winner!

Not one in a hundred of us will ever experience anything like that. You deserve our congratulations, too, for surviving, Simon. You're tough.

You've reminded me, also, of one of my storm adventures. (though it wasn't nearly as serious)

When my two oldest daughters were about 5 yrs old, we went and visited one of my old friends from my teen years. This was in a very rural part of Michigan; farm country. It was spring, April I think. It was a pleasant day, sunny but hazy and fairly warm. Excellent day for a bike ride. So I loaded up the girls; child seats front and rear, and we got going. We were making for a town that was about 10 miles away. I figured we'd get a pop and a snack. We were only a couple of miles away when I looked to the west and saw a perfectly straight horizontal line just a bit over the horizon. Beneath it was an ugly, purple, roiling mass. I remember saying out loud to the girls, "We've gotta turn around right now". But it was far too late for that. I remember reflecting on how I'd forgotten how quickly those storms can move up on you there. We made it perhaps a mile before it was right on top of us. I pulled off the road and had just enough time to pull out the girls rain ponchos and put them on before the front hit us with wind nearly strong enough to knock us over plus pouring rain. We were standing by the side of the road with the girls on either side holding onto my legs screaming, "I want my mommy!!!".
    I remember at least a few cars going by slowly, drivers with their jaws hanging open. But the idiots apparently couldn't conceive of stopping to offer some kind of help. I suppose it would've been difficult because of my bicycle, but it would've been nice if they'd have just let the girls sit in the car.

But it turned out okay; the worst of the storm passed pretty quickly and we got on our way. It still rained off and on but we had our rain gear on and that was enough to keep us warm, if a little wet. The girls didn't even seem to be all that unhappy. About half way back to my friend's house a pickup truck stopped and offered us a ride. We didn't really need it all that badly, but I accepted because I figured the girls had had enough. I didn't know the guy, but it turned out that he was married to a girl in my graduating class. I picture him getting home and saying to his wife, "I just came upon something strange. Do you remember a guy named, etc,etc," and her thinking, "Yeah, he always was a bit of an oddball....."

It turned out that my friend and his wife had gone out looking for us in the storm. They were worried that we'd come to grief. But they didn't know where to look. It didn't matter, though. A couple of beers fixed everything.