What can i expect with a SBP shift kit?

linkinlime34

Local time
6:26 AM
I'm looking into buying the shift kit from SBP, and i have 7 gears on my rear wheel to work with. I'm trying to get passed 40 mph, so will this be possible without any other mods on my 66cc bike? Or do I need to get an expansion chamber muffler and higher performance air intake to reach these speeds? thanks

I'm not sure that you will make it to 40mph with a shift kit. But, you will get to 30+ with it. I took mine up to 37.6 and it was faster than I wanted to go on a bicycle. I'm comfortable at 30mph with no problem. 30mph make sure your parents have good health insurance. Over that, make sure your parents have really good health insurance on you.
Shorty

Shorty,
How many gears do you have on you rear tire? Did you notice that you could still go at a decent speed without having your engine at full throttle? I live out in the boonies and there are quite a few hills around, was wondering if the shift kit will help me up them, and also be able to run at decent speeds without running that little 2 stroke with my fat 240lb butt on it at full throttle all the time........

Shorty,
How many gears do you have on you rear tire? Did you notice that you could still go at a decent speed without having your engine at full throttle? I live out in the boonies and there are quite a few hills around, was wondering if the shift kit will help me up them, and also be able to run at decent speeds without running that little 2 stroke with my fat 240lb butt on it at full throttle all the time........

My experience is with the 4-stroke shift kit, But you have described exactly what the SBP Shift Kit will do for your bike.

ocscully

I'm looking into buying the shift kit from SBP, and i have 7 gears on my rear wheel to work with. I'm trying to get passed 40 mph, so will this be possible without any other mods on my 66cc bike? Or do I need to get an expansion chamber muffler and higher performance air intake to reach these speeds? thanks

Nope. Yep and other mods too.

The shifter kit will not make your engine more powerful. It just won't. Power = speed.

What the shift kit will do (amongst other things), is get you up to speed much more quickly and match the engine load/speed to the terrain. IF you combine a shift kit with mods, you will be very happy.

Well right now i just have a 36t sprocket and i can barely get to 30mph. I've read on here about people who get to 35 with 44t sprockets. I just want that speed, and i thought maybe the shift kit would allow to me to get around 40mph.

I have this discussion daily. If just bolting gears on made you go faster, then F1 would run weed whacker engines.

Probably your engine needs to be dialed in, expansion chamber and manifolds matched.

Shift kit is a great start. It mainly helps with hill climbing, acceleration, economy, and wear. Up the power some, and the shift kit will let you take advantage of it. I cruise at 45 easy, gotta wind it out more for 50's.

Shorty,

I have 5 speeds. The reason I have a shift kit, is to go 30mph without having the motor screaming. I'm turning 5000 rpms @ 30mph (I have a 2 cycle tachometer that I use on my weedeater boats). That's fast enough for me to get where I want to go. In Va., 35mph is the limit for a MB. I'm 235lb.
Shorty

Didnt mean to hi-jack this thread, but thanks for the input everybody! Looks like I'll be putting in an order for a shift kit today!!

Shorty,
I scratchbuild R/C airboats with weedwacker engines! Never even heard of a tach for a 2 stroke, will have to look into that!!

Mike

Back