What can YOU build from a Cranbrook ???

TOTAL CARNAGE

Local time
2:00 PM
OR...What have you built? I would like to see them. this is also the official start of my Cranbrook build.
I will start with pics tomorrow and try to keep them updated as I go. As I see it in my head now, it will be an old style, almost a board-track looking bike. twin top tubes, home made springer using the stock forks. Guess we'll see what it becomes.......In the meantime, show us your Cranbrook!

Well, this is my Cranbrook. I guess I should say was.....
It has been torn down, frame sand blasted, some tubes cut out and new one added. I'm going to smooth it out and get it in primer and I'll take pics then.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 402
I just brought home a Cranbrook. My plans were to use my Staton friction drive kit on it, and right now that is all I have. I also have a Chinese tank ordered, but have not received it yet. So far I have removed the fenders and chain guard. I need to find a way to lower the gearing, either by using a larger rear sprocket or a smaller front sprocket. The single speed is geared way to high for me. my right knee hurt the first time I pushed on the pedal from a dead stop. And even with a motor it will have to be pedaled a few feet to get it going.

I like those big spokes, but am still not convinced about how strong they are. They are still made out of Chinese metal. I was originally going to get a Phat Sea Breeze, but they were 3 times as much, on sale at my local bike shop.

I understand from reading a lot of posts that it is difficult to mount a Chinese motor on the Cranbrook, because of the oversized tubing diameter. Yet that is definitely what would look best. I also don't like the rag joint rear sprocket and especially the cheesy chain tensioner that comes with those.

Alright! keep us posted on what your building!
I have never liked friction drive myself, don't like the look, don't like the weight up high and don't like the premature tire wear. Now, that's only my opinion for my riding style and my area. I'm sure there are many who love them and that's great too!
I like the look of the new Cranbrook wheels. They look tougher than the old style rims and I think they will hold up fine. As for the rag joint, I have no problem with them. I use them on all my builds and have never had a problem with any. Some were a real pain to get set up right, grinding down the rubber or making thicker ones, grinding out the center to fit the coaster brake wheels...but once I have them where I want they are rock solid.
As far as mounting a H.T. to one, the front mount was all that I made. I used a drop plate and U bolt. I brazed a strip inside the U bold so it wouldn't dimple the frame when tightened. other than that it was a simple mount up. I rode it for a full summer and I'm sure the collage kids were not easy on it. I haven't seen it since she bought it ( well, her dad bought) but I'm sure if there had been any problem I would have been the first one daddy would have called!!
And last, the tensioner....All the horror stories...I was worried about them as well. I don't like drilling holes anywhere in a frame but once set and tested I pinned mine so they cannot rotate into the wheel. I figured the cheep looking plastic wheel wouldn't last and have skateboard wheels ready to modify to replace them but I have never had a failure yet and my Spaceliner and Rollfast both have well over 1000 miles on each!
I think if you take your time, think out each step, do it right and ride it for what it is you will have a "Happy Time!" Remember, motor assisted bicycle, NOT motorcycle. WOW, that was allot of typing......I hate typing...... :unsure:

Go to my profile and check out the new albums- or tell me what you think of these
the Old Sgt.

Attachments

• 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 501.jpg
    501.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 175.jpg
    175.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 372
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
my boardtracker:

Attachments

• GEDC1285.jpg
    GEDC1285.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 385
  • GEDC1288.JPG
    GEDC1288.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 299
Mine is similar to Sgt Howards . Simple but effective

Attachments

• Copy of phone pictures 004.jpg
    Copy of phone pictures 004.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 358
  • phone pictures 008.jpg
    phone pictures 008.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 315
Some nice looking bikes! This is where I'm stuck with my build.
I want to get it lower, in fact I had planned on raising the rear dropouts but without any rake in the frame I can't get the front low enough with the stock forks..... :cry:
Just going to sit back and look at it for a while, I'm sure I'll figure something out :unsure:

Attachments

• cranbrook1.JPG
    cranbrook1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 358
Well, there was no getting around it. I had to cut and rake the frame.
Now I can build my springer with the stock forks.
Off topic, but check out what I picked up this weekend!
1940 Western Flyer, skip tooth. Just need the correct chain guard.

Attachments

• rak1.JPG
    rak1.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 303
  • wf2.JPG
    wf2.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 336
Back