What Chaintool might I need?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by StrontiumEthics, Jul 18, 2008.

1. StrontiumEthics

StrontiumEthics Motored Bikes Sponsor

I am planing on purchasing a bicycle engine. What Chaintool Can i use for the chain?

2. stringer

stringer Banned

whats a chain tool?

also, how the heck do you remove a chain? i examined every link and i do not have a master link! :-x
  3. A hammer and a punch, or a dremel/grinder.......
  4. TWalker

TWalker Guest

Don't forget channel locks or vise grips to squeeze pins back into the links. ;)
  5. stringer

stringer Banned

sounds like a PITA!!

can i clean it without dismantling it? :confused:
  6. meatwad

meatwad Member

Ive read that you have to buy a correct one for the 415 chain but I just used my cheepo bicycle one and it worked fine. Just make sure you have the pins lined up.

I think that Dans BMX has 415 chains and masterlinks.
  7. mcassMB6

mcassMB6 Member

i would get a chain breaker from a motorcycle shop. I picked one up for under 20 bucks.
  8. Warner

Warner Member

I used a brass hammer and a punch over a block of solid steel with a hole in it for the pin to fall through. Works great.

9. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Many different ways to break a chain or put one together.. When I didn't have a tool - if there is a will there is a way - but - I perfer to use a chain tool - so easy.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  10. meatwad

meatwad Member

Really? Why? Thats what I paid for my bicycle that I put the motor on. That is more than the price of a good kmc chain to replace the POS chain that the kit came with. What advantage is there in buying a tool that is better than the **** you are working with?
  11. TWalker

TWalker Guest

Your right if your riding **** you might as well work with **** tools....makes sense to me. I would also suggest buying **** oil, no point in wasting good money on a crappy engine.

12. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I am not sure why you ask. There is always a tool for a job. The chain break tool allows you to break and reassemble the chain without loosing a pin or other problems associated with less precise ways of breaking a chain in 2. Probably tools start at less than $10.00 and go up to who knows how much. A $20.00 tool is quite reasonable if you can use it a long time and get good results with it.
  13. starkm32

starkm32 Member

14. Rain City

Rain City Member

I just picked up a Park CT-3 for 35 bucks at my local bike shop. A little pricey, but good tools are good investments.

This chain breaker has a more "pointed" tip, which completely blows my old chainbreaker away in ease.

The ct-7 is probably the best option because it is for fat BMX chain, but this one was availiable and I needed it!
  15. softride

softride Member

chain tool

Which shop in Seattle did you use
  16. StrontiumEthics

StrontiumEthics Motored Bikes Sponsor

Wow, what a coincidence I ordered that one and it just came today, so this can take out a #415 Chain for motored bicycles, my Dax 70 is comming on wednesday.
  17. Rain City

Rain City Member

I bought it at Recycled Cycles - great shop btw.