What do you think the best gun is for home protection?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arceeguy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Looking at how there is a real possibility of a short term collapse in local government during a natural disaster, what do you think the best gun is for home protection. It should be inexpensive, easy to operate, and reliable.

I was reviewing my firearms and I am woefully unprepared. I only have a Ruger 22/45 target pistol, and an old Winchester 77 .22 rifle. Wouldn't want to get shot by either one, but they aren't going to stop a criminal in his tracks unless you hit them *just right*.

I was looking at a Ruger P89 9mm, but a friend of mine said that it is too small. He just bought a .44 snub nosed revolver, and he keeps it loaded in a safe. I'm thinking that the P89 would be something to take to the range and practice and also be a good, effective pistol for home protection.

What do you guys have?

And if you think home firearms are stupid, this is the CC, let me have it!

2. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Arceeguy, we have a chinese knock off of a world war1 trench shotgun. Very short barrel.
    I prefer a shot gun due to the fact you don't need to aim at an attacker. Point it at them in a general body area and it is problem solved. At least that is my thought.

Household guns are like car insurance. A pain in the tail feathers right up until you need it.

Steve

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

12 gauge
    9 mm auto

MM

4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I thought of a shotgun too. You're right, you don't have to have good aim to make a mess. Would want a semi-automatic though, just in case you miss the first time. :)

Gun laws here are pretty strict. I can get thrown in jail if I shoot a home invader and I had a way to flee without using deadly force. Fu cking liberal jacka sses......

5. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

For home defense I would buy a Remington 870.. then buy a pistol grip, 20' barrel, and a 3 round tube extension for it. Go down to wal mart and buy a box of 12 gauge Remington magnum 00 buck.

I would be surprised if you ever find yourself outgunned... a good thing when you are at home

6. give me vtec

same in California... don't shoot unless they have a gun and/or knife. Makes sense though... you really shouldn't shoot and unarmed person anyways. Just kindly tell them they have broken into the wrong house and that any further intrusion would be interpreted as a threat and you would be forced to defend yourself.

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

look at it this way..... if your local gubmint collapses.... YOU are the law, on your property!!

My buddy has a 9mm, 30 round clip & two 10 rounders. OVERKILL ? (pun intended)

I have to agree with the shotgun. point & click-(click-boom)

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

makes it so darn hard to shoot them these days !!

makes it so darn hard to shoot them these days !!

got to ask the bad guy all of these questions first
    such as
    ok what you got there bad guy ??
    ok just a knife
    let me be rid of my gun and get my knife
    ok you got a gun
    how big of a gun
    would not wish to out gun the bad one

they just expect too too much from the good guy before shooting these days

MM

9. seanhan

seanhan Member

I use the Smith & Wession 12G riot gun.
    It's a cool weapon and was made in Japan.
    I also have a very old sears Ted Williams Model 12G with choke. This thing is awesome for shooting clays. I can put 2 on the thrower and get both ( and I have to pump to reload ) !!!! Lotta fun, but my favorite is the Kimber 45 very smooth gun and plenty of knock down power... But the shootguns don't cost a fortune to shoot !!!!!! ammo has really gone up here since recent events we wont talk about here !!!!

10. seanhan

seanhan Member

Here in Texas you can bag em even if they are breaking into your car !!!!!
    If you car is on your property ... I keep my paintball gun handy for that ...
    You can jack up somebodys world with a 68 caliber paint ball moving at 650 FPS on rapid fire!!!!!

11. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

My Dad had a no name Spanish made shotgun years ago that would drive a 400 lb man back 4ft and 6inches into the ground with each barrel.

It was the meanest gun I ever fired.

Steve.

12. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I dunno man. If an intruder is in my house, do I really want to take the time to question him or determine whether he is armed or not? He should not be in my house - PERIOD. From what I can gather, here in NJ if the intruder has a knife and I have a gun and shoot the bastad, I'm the one that goes to jail because I used excessive force. Law enforcement officials do not have to meet these standards. (of course, they are cops, you are not....)

Need to move to Texas.

13. seanhan

seanhan Member

Just shoot em and tell the judge you had a bad childhood !!!!!!

14. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Christ RC, the crooks have a Lobbyist in NJ now.
    Don't shoot a crook in NJ or you go to jail!

Steve

15. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I'de say "it was a heck of a fight..........but i won"

16. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

A 12 gauge is a popular choice for home defence...however a 12 gauge with pistol grips and full powder loads will knock the person shooting it back a few steps making rapid follow up shots difficult..Police departments use reduced load entry loads for entering a building..the pattern thrown by a 12 with a 18 or 20 inch barrel at the distances found inside your house will not open much..(try yours out at 20 and 10 feet) easy to miss...#4buck is a better choice..a long gun is also easier for someone to take away from you when things get close.....for folks that are not familiar with firearms revolvers are good..simple operation 38 357 or 44 special (not 44mag)....semi auto .are not that hard to master if you make little effort...9mm 380 or 45...select ammo that will not go thru a wall and into your neighbors house if they are close..

17. give me vtec

yeah thats probably good advice... but I like the 00 buck. If you aim right, there isnt a need for a follow up shot unless there is somebody else. Not a problem though cause most people arent gonna stick around too long after their buddy just got his head fusticated.

18. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Yes there is nothing like a 12 gauge Remington 870

19. kerf

kerf Guest

Dear AG,

I'm in a much better state when it comes to personal protection. Here, one without a criminal record, can obtain any type firearm including a full auto, suppressed, assault rifle. That requires federal a license of course. Again, one without a criminal record, may obtain a Alabama Concealed Carry Permit, by simply applying at your local county sheriffs office.

When it comes to defending ones self, Alabama passed the Castle Doctrine, which basically states that if you're in any place you have a legal right to be, and reasonably feel your life is in danger, lethal force may be used to defend yourself. It all leads to a polite society.

When it comes to the instrument of choice, the 870 is at the top of my list with the 1911 as my preferred carry weapon. A great deal of the time, I carry a 6 shot 38 Special because it's much lighter and easer to conceal than the full size auto. As to carry, I NEVER leave my home unarmed. Your choice will depend on how much time you plan to spend at the range. Autos or hard kicking large caliber weapons will require much practice to obtain proficiency. My recommendation for a side arm would be a medium frame, 6 shot, double action revolver in 357 magnum. This gun will fire anything from the heaviest 357 load down to 38 Special target rounds and is very easy to fall in love with. The 357 is capable of over 400 foot pounds of muzzle energy and is quite capable of one shot stops. I had a Ruger GP100 in this caliber that I parted with for a Redhawk, wish I had kept it and just shelled out the jack for the Redhawk.

20. scokes

scokes Member

A loaded one!