what do you use to splint the engine open?

You can get crankcase splitters for the Chinese 2-stroke bicycle engine; in fact i have such a crankcase splitter in my garage. It took about 3 hours to design and manufacture, using nothing more than a set of files, a digital caliper, a couple of bolts and a drill press and 5mm steel plate.

My splitter not only separates the cases but it also closes the cases back together without using engine bolts to force the crankshaft bearings into the case half bearing receivers, thereby preventing distortion of the crank and sending it out of true as crankshaft bearings are "pulled" into each of the case halve receivers :D

I don't use any kind of impact force to either separate or to close the case halves back together; with no crankshaft distortion as the engine bolts are fixed in place.

screw case bolts out 5 turns and smack em with a hammer :D

even just replacing the clutch arm n stuff and giving that a go can start the split. no screwdrivers or steel in the gap please!

or yeah, make a sexy puller to hang on the wall :)

:eek: what was i thinking - why did i waste my time making a case splitter and reassembly jig when i could have just screwed case bolts out 5 turns and smacked em with a hammer and then i guess i could have used a hammer to smack it all back together.

HeadSmess, good to see we have a true professional amongst us - It's times like these that i need a face palm emoticon, but this is the best that i could find :(

Small chisel and a plastic mallet. Just need to be forceful yet vary careful while doing it. Work your way around the pieces to be seperated don't concentrate on just 1 area. You can chip the casting but if your careful it works. Do not mar gasket surface areas while doing it. Just the way i've done it.

Someone please find me a face palm emoticon because it's at the point where it's needed.
This is how cranky i feel when reading some of the advise

Hammers * Chisels * Screwdrivers used as pry bars and a newbie trying to split the case for the first time usually results in a f*&kup as pictured in one of my photos.

Chainsaw manufactures make case splitting tools for a reason, so do motorcycle manufactures and automotive manufactures and aerospace manufacturers.

I must be a complete f*&cwit for wasting my time designing a case splitting and reassembly tool, when i could just as easily beat the fecal matter out of the engine with a hammer and attack it with screwdriver pry bars and a chisel.

I really need a face palm emoticon but this will have to do:

Back