What gas tank styles would you choose???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gppeej

Local time
4:19 AM
Hello all,

I'm waiting on a BB80cc kit...but already know that I want to replace the standard common gas tank with something more stylish. I see plenty of home-made examples in the threads. Also, I'm guessing that if there was 10 different tank styles to choose from...that all 10 might find equal popularity.

My search started by searching for tanks from 1 to 6 liters that would be appropriate. Some classic moped tanks work, and mini chopper tanks look good too. Now, I'm not good at getting pics up, but I'll need to learn. Basically, the mini chopper tanks are small versions of full size chopper tanks and have nice lines. Peanut, coffin, teardrop, streched teardrop, pod, arched pod, etc, are all availible in mini tanks. But...here's where the rub comes in. Since importers for mini choppers and pocket bikes buy containers of boxed units, and rarely buy spare parts or have any spares inventory, most could never even sell me a replacement tank...let alone fill an order for 100 tanks.

Additionally, classic vintage designs like Cyclone BT, square underbar, humpback, squarebacks, cafes, etc aren't availible at all, except for one off.

So...I sent out some letters of inquiry to ten tank manufacturers. Most of them were quick to respond. The short of this is:

They will sell tanks in small batches of 100 - 1000 units.
They will produce any tank style from pictures or models.
They will follow provided spec to produce a new style if needed.

Very cool, the manufacturers are hungry and willing to take small jobs. So, I see a business opportunity here and am actively researching it. I'll admit to having entrepreneurial aspirations, so I am looking for opportunities. Conversly, I like the co-op business structure and firmly believe that "all boats rise with the tide".

Who wants a different gas tank???

TANKS or just silly hats

Hi Appeej...like I have said in a previous thread all the standard tanks look like bad fitting hats that everybody bought from the "Bad fitting hat shop". The best I did with the tank I got for the OCC Stingray Chopper was to flame it up and wait to get a better shaped tank that actually melts over the frame instead of the "hat look"..Next time there is a motorbike swap day I am going to buy an old small tank and doctor it up. There must be a really cool Stetson somewhere in a box of junk..Check out my "Flamed Hat"

Attachments

• tn_tank 1.JPG
    tn_tank 1.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,201
  • tn_tank 2.JPG
    tn_tank 2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • tn_tank 3.JPG
    tn_tank 3.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 787
for a rear friction over the wheel drive
would be nice to have an add on tank available towards the front
best looking tanks seem to be the ones extending the top tube
with that made into the frame look -- as seen on many old motor bikes -- Harley, Indian etc

for a tank to be used with in frame mounting of engine such as HTs
lets see some of your ideas
the ones available at this time -- the old common HT if I may -- are kind of corny looking

ride the motor bike

Thanks for the response, I agree. I can see that some 50+ people read the initial post and didn't comment. That makes me wonder if people just don't care, or just aren't willing to lift a finger.

I'd like for riders to give their opinions on what size the perfect tank would be. Also, at what point does the tank get in the way of peddaling? The manufactures are asking me "exactly what size and shape do you want, we can make anything"

The tanks I'm looking at are all "tunnel tanks" which means that they fit over the top bar and hang down on both sides of it. I'll go find some pictures and links.

Peej

sounds interesting there Peej

those HT tanks seem to be an ok size -- gallons held -- just not the best looking
they are not bad looking -- as you have probably noticed -- just not fantastic

if you do get some sharp looking gas tanks made
I think that you will have some good sells

if I may
take you time right now
so as to get the best looking and priced tanks that you can

good luck -------------------- ride the motor bike

OK, here are some pics of mini choppers and some tanks commonly found on 100 and 125cc motorcycles. The mini chopper tanks are generally 2 to 5 liters, and the other tend to be 4 to 8 liter sizes.

I like classic shapes like the orange tank, but would want it to be slimmer and hold 2 to 4 liters max.

Peej

Attachments

• chopper1.jpg
    chopper1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,493
  • chopper2.jpg
    chopper2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,439
  • chopper3.jpg
    chopper3.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,420
  • chopper4.jpg
    chopper4.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,380
  • chopper5.jpg
    chopper5.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,395
  • chopper6.jpg
    chopper6.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,386
  • chopper9.jpg
    chopper9.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,391
  • chpooer7.jpg
    chpooer7.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Motorcycle_Fuel_Tank_oil_tank_motorcycle_spare_parts_summ.jpg
    Motorcycle_Fuel_Tank_oil_tank_motorcycle_spare_parts_summ.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,457
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,450
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,404
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,377
  • tank6.jpg
    tank6.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,406
The most important thing is to have a tank with a tunnel so the tank doesn't sit on top of the bar, but around it.

Something like a Sportster peanut tank, maybe a mini fat-bob (someone has made one...don't remember who), something angular for the really old school crowd (saw that somewhere too...can't remember).

Not a bad idea, but its a case for an entrepreneur, not the organizing of a tank commune. Go for what you believe in and sell it.

Good looking bike you built there HM. I like the vintage-look tank. While the 1915 HD, Indian and Cyclone tanks were underbar...yours is much easier to mount and fits more frames. An underbar really only looks good if it is custom fit to the specific frame. It would be very cool to create a trapezoidal in frame tank for beach cruisers that would fill that space...but very hard to get the universal shape that would look good from one brand to the next.(Brent Merkley's custom Whizzer tank or Tatebike's BT from the gallery are beautiful examples) The solution is to go overbar. Imagine the tank from the gorgeous Goldhammer motorcycle below, but in a universal-fit overbar deep-tunnel tank. Magnifico!

I agree that tanks should have tunnels and that should remedy the "bad fitting hat" syndrome. Plus they'll be more secure and lower the center of gavity.

I suppose if trying to narrow it down to 4 main designs, I might start with:

1. A peanut tank that is similar to the current one, but with a tunnel, slightly larger, and without the side seems. 2 liters perhaps.

2. A streched chopper tank, with a wider tunnel and modern styling. 3 liter size.

3. A boxy rectangular racer/moped style tank (similar to the Derringer choice) but smaller and 4 liters-ish.

4. A long thin boxy vintage board track tank with very deep tunnel large capacity.

Attachments

• goldammer-btr3.jpg
    goldammer-btr3.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
1.2 gal plastic tank from just tanks.com

Attachments

• 03-14-09_1403.jpg
    03-14-09_1403.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 03-14-09_1404.jpg
    03-14-09_1404.jpg