What happened when your HT seized?

HybriDude

Local time
3:03 AM
I love my pedal start HT, but a few guys have warned that when they seize, you are likely to bite the dust.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had the experience of their engine locking up and how they dealt with it, thanks.

It depends. You may **** your shorts, do a healthy skid mark or otherwise wet your panties. It's pretty darn rare that your engine will actually sieze and put your face in the dirt.....if your engine siezes, something may give.....be it snapped gears, broken shafts, clutch slip.......I think more people die from the chain tensioner in the spokes trick.

A couple freewheels in the driveline gets over this.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had the experience of their engine locking up and how they dealt with it, thanks.
According to legend,
They gave it a post mortem, forensics and a final judgement.
Then they held a funeral service prior to burial after internal organs,
( magneto, magnet, clutch parts etc etc) are carefully removed, cleaned and stored.
Some hold dearly to their loved deceased HT and keep it's spirit alive by telling stories, ( some exagerated) of how it met it's end.
This is only legend, I personally have not seen of heard of a siezed HT yet.

I love my pedal start HT, but a few guys have warned that when they seize, you are likely to bite the dust.

It is very rare that an engine would seize and if it did cause a crash

I have heard of needle bearings coming apart and jamming the piston...

Much more dangerous is fender mounts breaking then the
fender locks the front wheel....or your tube comes out of your tire
and you go over the handlebars, etc

Riding any motored 2 wheel contraption is inherently dangerous and
experienced riders know that one day they will go down and they prepare
for that day.
If you can't handle that stick to driving 4 wheeled cars....

It is very rare that an engine would seize and if it did cause a crash

I have heard of needle bearings coming apart and jamming the piston...

Much more dangerous is fender mounts breaking then the
fender locks the front wheel....or your tube comes out of your tire
and you go over the handlebars, etc

Riding any motored 2 wheel contraption is inherently dangerous and
experienced riders know that one day they will go down and they prepare
for that day.
If you can't handle that stick to driving 4 wheeled cars....

indeed and i probably look like a fool wearing motorcycle gear on a happy time mountain bike....

Seizure

Another good reason for having a centrifigal clutch ! And I too wear protective gear. Helmet, elbow and knee pads & full coverage gloves. If and when I crash, maybe I won't burn to badly. Hopefuly all the dorky looks will pay off !

It depends. You may **** your shorts, do a healthy skid mark or otherwise wet your panties. It's pretty darn rare that your engine will actually sieze and put your face in the dirt.....if your engine siezes, something may give.....be it snapped gears, broken shafts, clutch slip.......I think more people die from the chain tensioner in the spokes trick.

A couple freewheels in the driveline gets over this.

My chain tensioner went into the spokes --so now i have a hole drilled thru the frame and a bolt goes thru it !!

Tensioner

My chain tensioner went into the spokes --so now i have a hole drilled thru the frame and a bolt goes thru it !!
Good point ! I'm by no means an expert. I'm sure even with all the postings on this forum, I, along with a lot of others will learn a lot of things the hard way. And of course accidents and weired things do happen too. But speaking of the chain tensioners, are they really neccessary if you can get your chain tension pretty much like it should be by taking out links and of course making sure it doesn't rub against anything. I have a Grubee that I haven't installed yet. It's was my first engine purchase. I built a friction frame last week. Just seems to me they give way less trouble and fewer thngs to go wrong. Although, I will pu my Grubee on someting in the near future. And when I do, you can bet I'll fabricate a bracket that attaches to the rear seat stay and the main stay, if I called them correctly, to attach te chain tensioner to. I've read to many horror stories about the tensioners getting into the spokes. Hurts just to think about it ! I'll also install pull start and centrifigal clutch on it as well.

When the tensioner went into the spokes the chain flew off--i had fully studded tires on for winter driving this winter---125 dollars each--i was doing 40-45 and it was like slamming on the brakes--it tore out about 1/4 of the studs 296 per tire nokians--a lady almost ran over me--i was showing off to my friend !!

Back