What happened when your HT seized?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HybriDude, May 4, 2009.

1. HybriDude

HybriDude Motored Bikes Sponsor

I love my pedal start HT, but a few guys have warned that when they seize, you are likely to bite the dust.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had the experience of their engine locking up and how they dealt with it, thanks.

2. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

It depends. You may **** your shorts, do a healthy skid mark or otherwise wet your panties. It's pretty darn rare that your engine will actually sieze and put your face in the dirt.....if your engine siezes, something may give.....be it snapped gears, broken shafts, clutch slip.......I think more people die from the chain tensioner in the spokes trick.

A couple freewheels in the driveline gets over this.
  3. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

According to legend,
    They gave it a post mortem, forensics and a final judgement.
    Then they held a funeral service prior to burial after internal organs,
    ( magneto, magnet, clutch parts etc etc) are carefully removed, cleaned and stored.
    Some hold dearly to their loved deceased HT and keep it's spirit alive by telling stories, ( some exagerated) of how it met it's end.
    This is only legend, I personally have not seen of heard of a siezed HT yet.
  4. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

:jester: ah yes, the autopsy----:sweatdrop::idea:
  5. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

It is very rare that an engine would seize and if it did cause a crash

I have heard of needle bearings coming apart and jamming the piston...

Much more dangerous is fender mounts breaking then the
    fender locks the front wheel....or your tube comes out of your tire
    and you go over the handlebars, etc

Riding any motored 2 wheel contraption is inherently dangerous and
    experienced riders know that one day they will go down and they prepare
    for that day.
    If you can't handle that stick to driving 4 wheeled cars....
  6. impression

impression Member

indeed and i probably look like a fool wearing motorcycle gear on a happy time mountain bike....
  7. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Another good reason for having a centrifigal clutch ! And I too wear protective gear. Helmet, elbow and knee pads & full coverage gloves. If and when I crash, maybe I won't burn to badly. Hopefuly all the dorky looks will pay off !
  8. robin bird

robin bird Member

My chain tensioner went into the spokes --so now i have a hole drilled thru the frame and a bolt goes thru it !!
  9. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Good point ! I'm by no means an expert. I'm sure even with all the postings on this forum, I, along with a lot of others will learn a lot of things the hard way. And of course accidents and weired things do happen too. But speaking of the chain tensioners, are they really neccessary if you can get your chain tension pretty much like it should be by taking out links and of course making sure it doesn't rub against anything. I have a Grubee that I haven't installed yet. It's was my first engine purchase. I built a friction frame last week. Just seems to me they give way less trouble and fewer thngs to go wrong. Although, I will pu my Grubee on someting in the near future. And when I do, you can bet I'll fabricate a bracket that attaches to the rear seat stay and the main stay, if I called them correctly, to attach te chain tensioner to. I've read to many horror stories about the tensioners getting into the spokes. Hurts just to think about it ! I'll also install pull start and centrifigal clutch on it as well.
  10. robin bird

robin bird Member

When the tensioner went into the spokes the chain flew off--i had fully studded tires on for winter driving this winter---125 dollars each--i was doing 40-45 and it was like slamming on the brakes--it tore out about 1/4 of the studs 296 per tire nokians--a lady almost ran over me--i was showing off to my friend !!
  11. HybriDude

Do you put that down to gear failure or loose chain tensioner?

What do you think of this idea? It's a common freewheel that I took the pawls out of.

Attached Files:

12. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I was going almost 30mph on my HT downhill at full throttle when my needle wrist pin bearing failed. The engine seizure locked up my rear tire. I simply pulled the clutch in and regained the control that I had lost. No big deal if you have an engine seizure but practicing and rehearsing in your mind your immediate action procedures if you have an emergency is important.

How many of you practice emergency stopping? How many of you practice countersteering to avoid an obstacle at a high rate of speed?
  13. robin bird

robin bird Member

Looks like a great idea !!!
  14. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I'm still looking to run over my first Little Old lady on her way to get the mail out of her box. I want to have a good buzz on when I do it tho... The bars close to darn early in NY!
  15. HybriDude

Thanks for that Skyliner.

I must admit that I've never thought about until I was chatting with Irish John, but I am much more aware of it now.

Do you participate in any competition to develop your skills?
  16. Skyliner70cc

Emergency stopping, countersteering are all basic skills taught when you take a motorcycle safety foundation safety course to get a motorcycle license. As a former military pilot, I'm very focused on safety. In flight school, we spent 1/2 our time practicing immediate action procedures for a variety of in flight emergencies.

When I was a teen, I got hit head on by a car. I was very fortunate because I knew to let go of the handlebars and flew over the vehicle. A tuck and roll that I had learned in a martial arts class allowed me to land on the concrete and received only scratches and scrapes. BTW, I was riding on a one way narrow bridge and the driver was a drunk, unlicensed, illegal alien...this was back in 1981.
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  17. machiasmort

I studied Shaolin Kempo for a long time before hurting my back... I'm not sure if it was that or spareing with my good friend,(a near expert in Judo), that saved my hide a few times the same way you describe!
  18. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Skills 2 cents worth.
    Public Go-Kart tracks is a fine and convenient way to practice reflex and basic stuff to.
    Lots of split second decsion making. Great fun and ya don't have to own a Go-Kart. I pay for at least 3 succesive rides cos ya just cannot get enough of that type of fun thing. And the fumes/tyre rubber is a fix all on it's own.

One time I drove for a living, from that expirience proffesional drivers progressively develop a "read the traffic" skill thing. It's similar to sports such as football for example, where you often hear a commenatator say, "they read the play well". In a word, providence comes to mind,
    ( pro evidence )

But in driving, "read the traffic" or learnig to "read traffic" on a MB, many drivers are not yet aware the MB is traveling at a faster speed than a normal bike. A inexpirienced cager will make a decsion to turn based on a approaching object, that from a distance seems to have pedals, but not yet aware it is traveling faster than it usually is, and not peddling. A slight moment of, "huh ?"
    It is at that precise point a MB rider has to determine, "have they or havn't they decided this bicycle is not a normal bicycle" where speed and distance is being judged to take the next action by the cager,to brake or go, where if go is decided, then the MB speed may require
    "re-negotiations". All this stuff done in nanoseconds.
    Hotels get extra attention at their parking exits for obvious reasons.

Same goes with lights on a MB, I've noticed a cager will get the light's attention far more effectively if it's switched to flashing mode rather than just on.
    I have arrived to a conclusion that rather than curse and one-finger-salute most cagers, depending, a peace sign works better, they remember for the next time, and GAIN some level of mutual respect.
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  19. machiasmort

People do some stupid stuff to me up here because you don't see to many of these arround yet. I have to expect the unexpected. My bike is really quiet and people don't react until I pass them.
  20. Skyliner70cc

You are 100% correct. Cagers almost always underestimate our speed and turn into our lanes, cutting us off and putting us into interesting situations. I almost always assume that regardless of how fast I'm going that my right of way is meaningless by a car looking to turn onto my route.