What HP/size are your motors?

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by NssOne, Jul 26, 2008.

1. NssOne

NssOne New Member

I'm asking this because I'm researching some small engines that I found that I might use for my MB. I'm trying to find something that will be powerful and fun without going overboard. I just would like info and specs on what motors you used and maybe the weight of your ride. Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. andante94

andante94 New Member

Tanaka PF3300 from GEBE rated at 1.6hp.
    Rider = 190lbs
    Bike = 40lbs including motor. Diamond Back mtb.

3. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Same as above rated 1.6hp with addition 2% nitromethane mix

bike weight approx 50lbs + Engine

ahem... you never ask a lady her weight lol

Jemma xx

4. NssOne

NssOne New Member

Meh, I just assume everybody's around 200 lbs like me! Anyways, it does help out a bit. Thanks guys.

5. Engines

Hi I ride 138 Whizzers, the 49cc HS, and have ridden most all of the 2-strokes, and I weigh 275 lbs.

No problems, tho I like the Whizzer's the best.

Mike

6. astring

astring Member

robin Subaru 33cc (4 stroke) 1.6 hp. I weigh aprx 215 and my bike is on the heavy side (50+). I keep it under 20 because of Arizona state law (sometimes I pop above 20 but I slow down as soon as I notice for the most part). If you want to cruise at 20 mph and you and your bike weigh 270+ this is a great little engine. If you want to cruise at 30+ look elsewhere. It is perfect for my purposes. Oh I have it on a GEBE.

I also have a friction drive with a Honda 33cc (gx35) 4 stroke from Staton. Not as much torque or power (may be due to drive train but I suspect that it is a lesser engine).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Riding a Raleigh Mojave mountain bike with a Subaru 33cc - 1" friction drive. My weight 195 lbs the MB 50 lbs -- total somewhere around 245 lbs. I agree with astring above - for a ride around 20 mph - works fine. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Honda GXH50 CC lil mighty mite! 2.5 hp and Ive been over 30 mph and havnt full throttled it yet, no need to. This is on a long flat too.

9. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

220 lbs.

Honda GXH50 - 2.5 hp (or 2.1 depending on what you read)

over 30 mph every ride, sneaking up on 40 mph. but possibly over-reving as I do not have a governor.

10. loquin

loquin Active Member

340 pounds

Mitsubishi TLE43 2.2 HP 2-cycle, Staton Friction Drive, with 1.125 roller.

I have a top speed of about 28 MPH, decent acceleration, but, like astring, I normally keep it 20 MPH or below.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Guest

I'm 175lbs
    5.8hp 50cc Morini 2 cycle motor with a Pipelyne Expansion Chamber.
    Right now I have it set-up for the track so top speed is around 35mph with a 56 tooth King's sprocket.
    With my 47 tooth sprocket it was hitting low to mid 40's.

12. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Push trailer with a 6.5 horsepower B&S engine....

Dare I say, too much power and torque for me!

13. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Another vote for 6.5HP here.

You can never have too much power..................:evil:

14. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

I'm running a 25cc Robin-Subaru on my 26" comfort bike. It tops out at 25 mph. Once at 30. I don't want to or need to go faster than 20 mph.
    When I do a desert run with lots of wind, I put on the 35cc Robin-Subaru. Both are GEBE systems. They're more long-distance runners than sprinters; they can go all day.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  15. NssOne

NssOne New Member

Awesome, thanks again for the more replies. I'm thinking of leaning towards a 6.5hp motor myself. Since this will be a trike and not a bike, I think it can handle it.

16. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

It will handle it, but beware of the torque! My brother was riding a 6.5HP trike I built a friend, and he flew off the back from a dead stop wheelie because he gave it too much gas! LOL

The 196cc 6.5s are a good deal, even cheaper than the 50cc clones, and you get more cc's for your money.

17. Hua Sheng 1.5HP (rated) 49 cc with Grubee gearbox and 50T rear gear mounted on Trek mountain bike. Fueled I bet it weighs 45+ pounds. I weigh about 205. On the flats my bike tops out around 30 which is plenty fast for me, and it needs some pedaling on the hills of Seattle. I rode it up about a 11-12% grade pedaling standing up and going 15 mph. I wouldn't want a less powerful motor in Seattle, but if I lived in a flat place I'd think it was very adequately powered and geared.

18. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Even in FL you have to climb hills sometimes. Some roads near lakes have VERY steep inclines. Sometimes even a bridge over a road is steep.

My engine can pull me up a hill from a dead stop, but it's a lot of wear on my clutch and belt, so I always pedal-assist to take off from a stop, or start on a hill. Once rolling, it will climb ANY hill.

I like hill-climbing power, but want to explore other options besides my heavy engine trailer+mountain bike. Would that 50cc HuaSheng do good on hills powering a 20" boys bike with a 150lb rider with a 30lb backpack? (approx 180lbs)

19. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

46cc gp-460 tuned pipe, 5+hp, 55+ mph, 150+ mpg.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  20. astring

astring Member

That may be too much. Look into that Honda GX50. But I could be wrong.