What is going on with my clutch?

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Nickledyme, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

Seems over the past couple months I've had to keep pushing the clutch arm(that's what u call it right)further and further back. I've taken off the cover on the other side and tightened that weird looking nut so I don't think that's the problem. Anyone have some insight on this? I'm kinda stumped but plz explain in easy terms if you could.

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I haven't had a problem like that, it may be that the cable is stretching or the housing is compressing. If that's the case, there's not much you can do. Stretching is one of those things metal just does on it's own. Keep adjusting the clutch arm I guess.

You do have the lock screw for that flower nut, right?

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

sounds like cable stretch

procedure is:

adjust cable with clutch handle unlocked

adjust flower nut with clutch handle locked so the flower nut is at first notch that allows free spinning of clutch when you turn the back wheel (adjust tighter till clutch drags a bit, then back off one notch)

recheck cable adjustment with handle unlocked

4. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

Thanks guys! I've done all that, I just thought I was missing something. It's a new clutch cable too so maybe it is stretching who knows.

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The clutch pads need time to bed in, so for the first 200 or 300 miles you will need to keep adjusting the flower nut to maintain the correct preload on the clutch.

As the clutch beds in, the clutch arm will change position, so at some point you will need to remove the clutch arm and reposition it to a more favourable angle on the spline.

6. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

Ok so the other day things got really bad. I had to manually pop that lil arm out to get going. I ran it like that until I could get it looked at. Only got one guy here who really knows his stuff with these bikes. He replaced the lil ball,the rod and the arm,checked the flower nut and put grease down in with the ball n rod. He said he don't get it but says the crankcase is wearing out and will need a new motor soon. This motor is only about 2 months old and I do put 30 miles a day on it. Does anybody here understand what is going on here?

7. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

He did suggest using a piece of grade 8 bolt to make a longer rod because nothing will touch until the arm is pushed pretty much all the way back almost to the carb area. I read about using part of a drill bit. He said would work for awhile but not forever.

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Are you really sure that you are getting the best advise?

Why would a non moving part like the crankcase wear out?

9. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

I'm pretty sure he said crankcase but he did say inside where the lil ball and rod slide in is wearing futher and further back. Said we could put in a new clutch n everything but for the money I'm better off getting a new motor.

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Maybe we can try using the "Socratic Method" so you can find the answer to empower your knowledge base.

Looking at the pics, you can see the cam (that sits in the clutch cover on the left hand side of the engine) and the mandrel which sits inside the clutch shaft, and the clutch shaft

Clutch Cam

[​IMG]

Sprocket Clutch Cover

[​IMG]

Clutch Mandrel

[​IMG]

Clutch Shaft

[​IMG]

The flower nut screws onto the threaded end of the mandrel.
    If the flower nut were to be screwed on too far, what would the likely outcome be if the cam is to remain in contact with the bucking bar, and how would that effect the position of the clutch cam lever?

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/killercanuck77/media/Bike stuff/ClutchActuator.gif.html

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/killercanuck77/media/Bike stuff/CUTAWAY.gif.html

Nickledyme likes this.
  11. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

If the flower nut was too tight that would in my mind pull everything forward in that direction and the bar/cam would need to be pushed forward as well. I don't kno if I'm right but that's what makes sense in my mind. I only tightened that nut once and it was by hand cuz I was afraid of doing much else. I'm new to this so have patience. I do wanna figure this whole thing out tho.

12. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Please take a photo of the flower nut as it is currently set on your clutch, then we can work out which side of the clutch shaft is in error.

13. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

IMG_20140423_230521.jpg

^That would be my flower nut

IMG_20140423_230805.jpg

^That is how far back I gotta have the arm for this thing to run correctly. My camera sux but there ya go.

14. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

that arm position is bad, you need to find out why & fix it

15. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

I know it's bad but nothing I can do about it. I had to push it another hair back today. I took off the flower nut and the plate to check things out. There's no spring in there and the ceramic clutch plate are worn and some chipped. Gonna get a quick fix done tomorrow after work until my next off day. I'm likely going to just get a whole new clutch put in and hopefully that does the trick. I think it was a factory defect. I put alot of miles on but I don't ride rough and after 2-3 months this isn't normal or wouldn't think so.

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The quality of the photo with respect to the right hand side isn't good enough to make a judgement on where the position of the mandrel threads are in relation to the flower nut.

You will need to take a better quality photo before i can make an assessment of the situation.

17. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Although not relevant to your situation, there should be a spring underneath the clutch pressure plate; allowing the pressure plate to move away from the clutch pads when the clutch is pulled in.

On a side note, i have never seen these engines fitted with a ceramic clutch pressure plate. Typically they are steel and have indentations on the friction side of the pressure plate.

18. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

The plate ain't ceramic but I thought the pads looked ceramic but I was told fiberglass. There was no spring under the plate. It came like that and my mechanic said that's prolly why everything is worn out. He's putting a whole new clutch and everything in there on Tuesday. He put a spring in there for now and it actually runs smoother. Hopefully this holds for 3 days or about 90-100 miles in my case. Will have to wait and see what happens.

19. butre

butre Well-Known Member

The pads are a mystery material that is generally agreed to probably be asbestos. Don't breathe the clutch.

20. Nickledyme

Nickledyme Member

Wouldn't be me breathing it as I got a guy who knows what he's doin. I'm gonna watch n help when I can tho. I know how to do all the basic stuff and a few other things. Figure gettin my hands a lil dirty will help me understand how the motor works a bit better.