What is going on with my clutch?

If the flower nut was too tight that would in my mind pull everything forward in that direction and the bar/cam would need to be pushed forward as well. I don't kno if I'm right but that's what makes sense in my mind. I only tightened that nut once and it was by hand cuz I was afraid of doing much else. I'm new to this so have patience. I do wanna figure this whole thing out tho.

Please take a photo of the flower nut as it is currently set on your clutch, then we can work out which side of the clutch shaft is in error.

IMG_20140423_230521.jpg

^That would be my flower nut

IMG_20140423_230805.jpg

^That is how far back I gotta have the arm for this thing to run correctly. My camera sux but there ya go.

I know it's bad but nothing I can do about it. I had to push it another hair back today. I took off the flower nut and the plate to check things out. There's no spring in there and the ceramic clutch plate are worn and some chipped. Gonna get a quick fix done tomorrow after work until my next off day. I'm likely going to just get a whole new clutch put in and hopefully that does the trick. I think it was a factory defect. I put alot of miles on but I don't ride rough and after 2-3 months this isn't normal or wouldn't think so.

The quality of the photo with respect to the right hand side isn't good enough to make a judgement on where the position of the mandrel threads are in relation to the flower nut.

You will need to take a better quality photo before i can make an assessment of the situation.

Although not relevant to your situation, there should be a spring underneath the clutch pressure plate; allowing the pressure plate to move away from the clutch pads when the clutch is pulled in.

On a side note, i have never seen these engines fitted with a ceramic clutch pressure plate. Typically they are steel and have indentations on the friction side of the pressure plate.

The plate ain't ceramic but I thought the pads looked ceramic but I was told fiberglass. There was no spring under the plate. It came like that and my mechanic said that's prolly why everything is worn out. He's putting a whole new clutch and everything in there on Tuesday. He put a spring in there for now and it actually runs smoother. Hopefully this holds for 3 days or about 90-100 miles in my case. Will have to wait and see what happens.

The pads are a mystery material that is generally agreed to probably be asbestos. Don't breathe the clutch.

Wouldn't be me breathing it as I got a guy who knows what he's doin. I'm gonna watch n help when I can tho. I know how to do all the basic stuff and a few other things. Figure gettin my hands a lil dirty will help me understand how the motor works a bit better.

Back