What is maximum one time trip distance before engine damage occurs?

JimmyKnax

Local time
10:46 PM
I'm looking to add a 3.3 gal harley sportster tank for my "80 cc" Japanese 2 stroke so that I can go on a 100 mile trip without refueling. My only concern is that the engine might not be made for those type of distances. Is anyone aware of an average distance one should not exceed in order to preserve the engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Jimmy,

I can't speak for that large a Japanese unit, who makes it?

I've used the 25cc Zenoahs and now the 33cc Tanakas, and think the whole trick is in properly breaking in the cylinder/rings on the first 4-5 tanks of fuel. If you use good gas, never forget to mix the oil, and vary the throttle speeds at the onset, by the time you get to 200 miles, you can feel pretty secure that the engine is getting "bombproofed".

It won't be the engine that lets you down, usually. 250 miles per day is pretty standard on long cross country runs, 100 miles is a piece of cake.

As long as the carb is jetted properly, and you aren't revving the tar out of it - I would imagine that your butt would go numb way before you ran out of gas. I would be more concerned with the bicycle frame and engine mounting hardware.

Make sure everything is snug (without over torquing) and use thread locking compound on everything.

Happy Trails!

Distance would bge limited by how far you have to go before an oil change. You are changing your oil regularly, aren't you?

As long as you cool out on the throttle when it gets hot and cruise, I'd say you could run for days. It's not like the engine has a watch or ever knows how long it's been running. I myself go out for all day runs and notice a loss of power on really hot days.

the truth nothing but the truth

It's not like the engine has a watch

or ever knows how long it's been running

I myself go out for all day runs and notice a loss of power on really hot days.

only then -- after noticing slight loss of power -- usually in hot wheather
do we need to take it slower -- cool down period maybe

as we ride those motor bike things

I'm looking to add a 3.3 gal harley sportster tank for my "80 cc" Japanese 2 stroke so that I can go on a 100 mile trip without refueling. My only concern is that the engine might not be made for those type of distances. Is anyone aware of an average distance one should not exceed in order to preserve the engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't follow. As mentioned, properly jetted, with a good oil at a proper ratio you should be able to go hundreds and hundreds of miles on a Chinese engine, let alone a "Japanese" engine. 100 miles will be a piece of cake.

Back