What is the best Impact Driver

birdmannn101

Local time
10:00 AM
The wife told me she would buy me a tool for Christmas and I need something to get old rusted straight slot and Phillips head screws with probably an impact driver. I saw the Hitachi 18 volt one but was wondering which one would be the best?

I have both a electric and pneumatic power impact drivers (yes they are nice) but at times they have too much torque and if it spins on the fastener ....well you are out of luck.. But I'm partial to a hand impact for what you want to use one on. Most important is using the correct, non deformed tip for the fastener to be used on.

Here is one, but I'd prefer to have bits made in the US...which can be bought, almost anywhere.
http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html

The driver itself is basically indestructible.

Last edited:
Being a mechanic, I am picky about tools. At work we use Ingersoll Rand pneumatic drivers, I don't have any pneumatic tools myself, I like to do things by hand, as working on mechanical things is my hobby. I use a $300 Snap-On torque wrench to install lug nuts on a car. I also have a Snap-On hand impact driver. If you are looking for electric or cordless, I recommend Hilti. I realize all these brands are seriously expensive, but nothing drives me crazy worse than trying to do a job with cheap tools.

You can remove the bit chuck from the impact tool, and put a 3/8 socket in its place.
You can also use a 3/8 to 1/4 inch adapter, and a six point socket. A 1/4 in breaker bar holds socket stationary, so screw can be budged. The impact tool is hit with a heavy hammer, while being turned like a screwdriver. Practice on some not so rusty bolts, to get feel for tool. Gently heating rusty bolts often helps, you need not go red hot, unless threads are severely buggered.

I have used Dewalt 18 volt, Milwaukee 12 volt, and Bosch 12 volt units as a plumber and would not have a problem recommending any of them. The extra 6 volts don't seem to make the Dewalt noticeably more powerful and the extra size and weight are not usually helpful. Between the milwakee and bosch, the bosch feels and sounds better but the milwakee seem in practice to have the edge on power. In the end none is a bad choice

Back