Tubes what is this tire patch part for?

Fletch

Local time
4:47 PM
have it, but not sure what it's for. I have rubber cement that came with it, but circular black self adhesive patch 'stickers'.. basically I don't know how to use a patch kit lol.

Attachments

• P1010726.jpg
    P1010726.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 510
thanks. Wow...I was thinking that a patch kit was a "quick fix" for the road. Apparently that's not the case! ;). I'll probably just ditch the patch kit then and carry an extra tube, since you have to take the tube out anyways and it seems that would be much faster and easier. I have kevlar lines tires and puncture resistant tubes with tire liners over them, and many layers of electrical tape over the rim to protect the tube from spokes, so I don't really expect a flat but you never know I guess.

Thats a common mistake with bicycle rims... electrical tape was not made to be puncture/rub through resistant, go for the 4 bucks and get a good high strength plastic rim strip... there the same consistency and resiliency as those plastic crate strapping bands and ive used that when i cant get the real rim strips.
It will save you a flat at some point.
BBB

Thats a common mistake with bicycle rims... electrical tape was not made to be puncture/rub through resistant, go for the 4 bucks and get a good high strength plastic rim strip... there the same consistency and resiliency as those plastic crate strapping bands and ive used that when i cant get the real rim strips.
It will save you a flat at some point.
BBB

I talked to the guy at the bike shop about it. He said if you wrap it enough times the electrical tape would work. I have about 6 layers on there and I would bet money that the spokes would never puncture it. I'm not concerned though really because I have double walled rims with recessed spokes, so there is only actually a hole where the electrical tape goes over. I just taped it because of any potential rough edges on the holes. There was debate I read on a bike forum about whether or not you even need rim tape with those kind of rims. Thanks for the tip on the crate bands, that's a good idea. I may do that in the future.

Part of my aired tire repair kit has three things.

1. Tweezers for pulling valve stems.
2. Patches made from old dead tubes.
3. A tube of Shoe Goo.

Shoe Goo is AWESOME - it works just like rubber cement, apply to the leak, apply to the patch, let it tack up, stick it on there put the tube back in the tire and air it up.

It's got less flexibility than rubber cement, but it works really well for fixing flats, dare I say if it works better than a brand name bike repair kit.

Ive used the shoe goo... it does work.
I find the biggest problem is roughing up the patch area with those tiny little scrapers they give you in the patch kits.
I now use a nice large strip of course emery cloth...
Truthfully? I haven't patched a tube in years.
I keep two extra brand new tubes in my hydro bag.
I unscrew the valve stem, and then roll it up REAL tight to force out any air, then reinstall the valve stem and the cap, roll them up nice and tight and rubber band them.
Two 26" tubes fit perfectly in the bottom of my bag.
6 Co2 cartridges, and my handy little home made filler do the rest.
If I caught more than 2 flats in one ride, I do have the patch kit and my mini pump as a back up-
(but it takes friggin forever to fill a 26X2 tire)...
But at that point? I'd just go home.
Ride Free
(or at least as cheap as possible)
BBB

Part of my aired tire repair kit has three things.

1. Tweezers for pulling valve stems.
2. Patches made from old dead tubes.
3. A tube of Shoe Goo.

Shoe Goo is AWESOME - it works just like rubber cement, apply to the leak, apply to the patch, let it tack up, stick it on there put the tube back in the tire and air it up.

It's got less flexibility than rubber cement, but it works really well for fixing flats, dare I say if it works better than a brand name bike repair kit.

INDEED SHOE GOO (or rebadged as: Plumbers GOOP) IF given an overnight set, IT WILL REBUILD rubber tires. I plugged a 1/4" square hole in an auto tire, and it lasted for years.

yodar

Back