What Is Your Craziest/Wildest Motorized Engine Idea?

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Aug 12, 2009.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Now that my wild GP460 engine/friction drive bike is almost done, I'm looking for another crazy high-powered bike project. :jester:

Any thoughts you'd like to share?

2. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

well.............with Zomby, Graucho, Houghmade, Easyrider and others of exceptional design abilities all we need is the engine and a style to persue.

i still really want to get a LWB recumbent with belt drive going as my commuter.

steve

PS, i though you felt you'd need a second 460 on the "iron dragon" :devilish:

3. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hi 5-7
    Yes funny you should mention it. We have a honda 350 motorcycle from the 70's.
    My brother (ex member LuccianoPezziano) had it up to 85mph. It still runs like
    a top and I have since inherited it. I had my brother in law (ex member terrence) do a quick
    photoshop job to give me an idea how it may fit into a bike. Id have to fabricate a 11.5"
    functional crank, but I don't think I would be doing to much pedaling.

I think I would set the engine on the "bench" and then build the bike around it. Chopped out of
    course, with DOT tires. I truly think I could set a new standard. "The 100 mph club":devilish:

I have a 20" mongoose chopped up in pieces on the bench im stretching to 7 ft that I have
    to finish. Then a schwinn OCC getting stretched to 7.5 ft after that. The 350 bicycle would be
    a good winter project?

If I built every bike I dreamt of Id have hundreds of bikes though. ::tt1:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Wow Graucho, that is truly insane!:jester:

Any more, guys?

5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I have in mind a full suspension tadpole trike with the 45hp Wankel and 2-speed tranny (with reverse) that I have sitting on the workbench. Some day.

6. toddjlyons

toddjlyons Member

I still like the pulse jet engine!! TJ

7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Pocketbike Engine On Friction Drive!

I have a modified pocketbike engine I bought on ebay a year ago. The owner sent documents that it dynoed at 10hp. This remains to be seen and tested.

I will probably remove the twin Mitsubishi engines on "The Dragon Lady". Then I'll install this pb engine on rear friction drive with 1.25" roller.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I have this insane notion that keeps bugging me. Most bikes tou see nowadays have rim brakes, right?

Why not a rim drive? What I envision is a wheel rim with machined in radial grooves that in effect turn each side of it into a REALLY tall gear, and a pair of smaller spur gears (one to each side) that fit into those gear teeth snugly. Drive their shafts in counter-rotating directions, and the wheel rim between them rotates. Reserve your hub for spokes and disc (preferably) brake.

I realize there are issues with this idea, but I wonder if it could be made workable?

Alternatively, think about a vertical shaft engine rack mounted driving a wheel with a bevel gear system, an opposite side idler wheel to hold the rim firmly engaged (and possibly to serve as the actual brake pad as well).

9. not good if your rim warps like they usually do over time.

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I believe a member named Retromachinist is running a lawnmower-type vertical-shaft engine on his bike. It runs off the sidewalls using a socket as a friction roller(as in socket wrench).

11. loquin

loquin Active Member

take that modified pocketbike engine, add a pocketbike CVT, a clamp-on sprocket adapter and a 72 tooth sprocket. Then 'fly like the wind.'

32:1 ratio when taking off, 16:1 at speed...

12. robin bird

robin bird Member

I think a steam engine bike for Canadians--we have miles of forests and tons of water.Out my backdoor is the 500 mile long kettle valley railine--imagine blowing a train whistle!
    These 2 pictures are found on the moped archives

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

14. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

and by the time you give up all the rotational losses etc. you'll be back to 2.2HP anyway, not to mention the unreliability of freewheels and the type of chains that fit them it will be a pretty cool trailer queen to be hauled around and gawked at. LOL

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Speaking of trailer queens, there's a regular at Ala Moana Park who drives a 1966 Rambler Marlin. On his bike rack is a motorized bicycle, friction drive. One day I'll meet up with him and swap stories.

16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:idea:Wife has been neglecting her 24" Raleigh cruiser. I'm gonna stick one of my Subaru or Mitsubishi engines on it, just for kicks.

17. fredc

fredc New Member

using the bigges engine posb

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Air Bike?

Bumped into an old hotrodder buddy of mine at McD's. He's working on a 1936 Chevy with big-block Chevy for his friend. Year ago they did a '38 tangerine Chevy coupe that turned out awesome.

:idea:When I mentioned motorized bikes, he mentioned he had helped a friend build an MB powered by AIR PRESSURE!!! The key to it all was a special 3600psi tank feeding an impact wrench. Sprockets were welded onto the wrench's sockets for changeability.

The bike was never completed and trashed. Friend was working on a way for the bike to re-compress air while riding, to refill the large capacity tank. :detective:

19. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Somebody say hot rods? I know this guy with a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air sitting in his parking lot! :D

I had an idea to mount a mini-generator on the bike rack, and run power straight to an electric hub-mount. I was thinking the generator would just idle, and just drop it down to 72VDC or so. I am sure it'd work, but prob not worth the hassle. Those little generators are CHEAP now though, found them for around $100!

3600PSI sounds insane to have sitting behind you! I am a paramedic and saw an ambulance wreck where the 1000PSI oxygen tank launched out of the rig and went through a brick wall! I was always aware of that big tank sitting behind me after that!

20. WhizBangAndy

WhizBangAndy Member

I have been dreaming about mounting one of those 49 70 or 110cc lifan motorcycle engines to a Worksman frame(nice sturdy frame and good drum brakes) and have a cool boardtracker and local scoot. The fab work would be minimal but it wouldnt have pedals anymore so its more of a motorcycle than bicycle.