Safety What kind of helmet do you wear?

Max-M

Local time
11:21 PM
For those of you who wear helmets while riding your MBs: what do you wear?

I'm currently wearing a Bell bicycle helmet; their "Quake" model which costs about $30: http://amzn.to/GEPof2

I like the light weight, and the coolness of its ventilation, but I'm considering a "real motorcycle helmet" of the half-helmet variety, like this: http://bit.ly/GLYIAE

I've heard that the expanded polystyrene (styrofoam) construction of bicycle helmets is really very effective as far as head protection, but I think the motorcycle helmet will look more appropriate while riding a MB.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I wear more of a skater type helmet by "Nutcase". They have a wide variety of designs too. I have crashed twice in it (once on the mb and the other on the non-mb) and it worked both times. That is all the assurance I needed. I like the chrome version of the helmet you picked. Nice selection though.

Jeff,

I'm glad you mentioned Nutcase. I checked out their web site, and I really like the "Super Solid" model in flat black. Since I don't need a DOT-certified helmet here in Connecticut, that helmet will give me the look I want without the weight of a motorcycle half-helmet. (Plus, my wife will think it's very appropriate that there's a logo on my head reading "Nutcase"!)

Thanks for the tip.

Max

I've got a Bell Bellistic full face helmet. It's like a motorbike helmet but is so much lighter.

I'm not even sure if it's legal to use on the roads but rules here don't make sense. I feel so much safer wearing a full face helmet!

I have been using a full face cycle helmet that is left over from my drag racing days.
It is heavy. I will have to check out that bell bellistic.
I really like the idea of protecting my face, though I haven't fallen off a bike since riding in snow 50 years ago.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I use a DOT approved half helmet which is chrome. Slap a pair of goggles on underneath, and I am ready to go!

I'm just using a BELL bicycle helmet for now. I try to keep it around or under 25mph when I ride so I'm hoping it will protect my melon enough in case of a collision. *crosses fingers* I do have plans in the summer to buy a better helmet though. I plan to put a few hundred miles on this HT over the hot months just cruising around the countryside and to the lake.

Back