Safety What kind of helmet do you wear?

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Max-M, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Max-M

Max-M Member

For those of you who wear helmets while riding your MBs: what do you wear?

I'm currently wearing a Bell bicycle helmet; their "Quake" model which costs about $30: http://amzn.to/GEPof2

I like the light weight, and the coolness of its ventilation, but I'm considering a "real motorcycle helmet" of the half-helmet variety, like this: http://bit.ly/GLYIAE

I've heard that the expanded polystyrene (styrofoam) construction of bicycle helmets is really very effective as far as head protection, but I think the motorcycle helmet will look more appropriate while riding a MB.

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

3. jeffuehrer

jeffuehrer Member

I wear more of a skater type helmet by "Nutcase". They have a wide variety of designs too. I have crashed twice in it (once on the mb and the other on the non-mb) and it worked both times. That is all the assurance I needed. I like the chrome version of the helmet you picked. Nice selection though.

4. Max-M

Max-M Member

Jeff,

I'm glad you mentioned Nutcase. I checked out their web site, and I really like the "Super Solid" model in flat black. Since I don't need a DOT-certified helmet here in Connecticut, that helmet will give me the look I want without the weight of a motorcycle half-helmet. (Plus, my wife will think it's very appropriate that there's a logo on my head reading "Nutcase"!)

Thanks for the tip.

Max

5. jeffuehrer

jeffuehrer Member

You're welcome, Max. Enjoy your new nut case.

6. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

I've got a Bell Bellistic full face helmet. It's like a motorbike helmet but is so much lighter.

I'm not even sure if it's legal to use on the roads but rules here don't make sense. I feel so much safer wearing a full face helmet!

7. professor

professor Active Member

I have been using a full face cycle helmet that is left over from my drag racing days.
    It is heavy. I will have to check out that bell bellistic.
    I really like the idea of protecting my face, though I haven't fallen off a bike since riding in snow 50 years ago.

8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  9. Ibstrange1

Ibstrange1 New Member

I use a DOT approved half helmet which is chrome. Slap a pair of goggles on underneath, and I am ready to go!

10. VROOM

VROOM Member

I'm just using a BELL bicycle helmet for now. I try to keep it around or under 25mph when I ride so I'm hoping it will protect my melon enough in case of a collision. *crosses fingers* I do have plans in the summer to buy a better helmet though. I plan to put a few hundred miles on this HT over the hot months just cruising around the countryside and to the lake.

11. BchCruizer

BchCruizer Banned

I wear bmx helmet that fully covers my head!