what motor should i buy?(this will be my first build)

Bible Man 20

Local time
7:52 AM
hi well i want to build a motored bicycle and i wanted to know what motor would be best for me to use.i would be looking more toward a 2 stroke but i really dont know the advantages of a 4 stroke and if you could give me tips to decide.also i dont know if the police or legal services in my area would know the difference in an 80cc more or a 49cc motor so should i go with the bigger cc?all in all im clueless on these things so any advice at all concerning my issue would be help!

to proffesor about the last of me:i think i expressed myself wrong but indeed showed my ignorance on the whole issue, but i really think that all of you have really good responses to that issue and since then i have changed my way of thinking.

Last edited:
I really thought we saw the last of you the other day when you wanted to know why all the bikes look the same. Welcome back.
4 strokes are what are in cars, they burn cleaner and last longer. 2 strokes are much lighter and cheaper to build and fire the mixture every rev of the engine.
Go to the on line encyclopedia and learn some more if you want.
As for the laws where you are, you should find out exactly what they are, if you ride meekly, quietly and look sensible (helmet) it will help a lot.
Do a lot of reading here.

welcome back...for my first build on a Shwinn Del Mar from wally world I went with a chinese 2 stroke...Grubee 48cc Kit from Kings Motor Bikes..it is a good deal and runs well... This kit and info on this forum will give you every thing you need.....to get started in this hobby

Last edited:
The two strokes are fun, and can be made to run fairly reliably. They always need some sort of tinkering though!

I like zoom bicycles slant head kit, sure seems to make more power to me!

Ed

I suppose I'd recommend the bargain basement two-stroke if you're new to this.

A good four-stroke is, overall, a better engine. But for someone new I think it's better to just get on something and ride at the lowest possible price. You can always get a feel as you go for what you want in the future.

in my opinion, a 2 stroke is the best choice for this application. 1. 2 strokes are cheaper, 2. they will rev higher than a 4 stroke, and if you only have a single speed bike...this is the way to go.
3. two strokes are just funner to play with and modify and they sound mean with the right exhaust.
4. 2 strokes do requier a little moret inkering, but normally once you get the carb set where the motor runs at it's best, you can just leave it alone.
If you are unfamiliar with 2 strokes, and how they function, you shoudl probably do some research on them so you can get an idea of how to tune the carb., learn about gas / oil ratios, and the basics of how a 2 stroke works.
if they are taken care of, and never ran too lean, 2 strokes can last a very long time.

trust me, it's impossible to be busted running an 80cc HT ;)

if you don't take a look at *all* your system options for yourself, you'll be selling yourself short...here's a hint: the better-quality the engine the less displacement needed to do the job.

i agree that you have a lot of reading to do...and i agree good job on jumping back in too :cool:

Last edited:
Back