What replacement spark plugs do you use? (chinese 2-stroke)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ ^ ^ NGK (B6HS or B8HS...) gapped to .028

Another Q:

How'd we go from NGK's B6HS being the favored plug to the B8HS? Which one's colder? or does the 8 supercede the 6?

Thanks!

NGK heat range is higher number/cooler plug...my research and cross-referencing led me to a cooler plug, hence my opinion/conclusion that the b8hs is more appropriate. as i said, this was based on application and NOT higher-performance.

I went to 2 auto parts stores looking for the B6HS several months ago, and one store had the B7HS and told me the same thing Augi says. The higher number means cooler temps. 2 motorcycle shops I went to only carried NGK, so I figured that would be a reasonable brand to go with.
I agree the science is confusing especially when sorting thru auto, motorcycle and lawn equiptment plugs. The link to NGK's website is useful and helpful.
Thanks for bringing this thread back up instead of starting a new one.

I'm running a different engine (CY R460) than you guys, mine takes a NGK CMR7H. DDM, however, recommends a NGK CR7HIX, which is an Iridium plug and is supposed to work better than the stock plug. They are a little more than twice the price but are supposed to be worth the cost. Can you get an Iridium plug for your engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only advantage to using an iridium plug is it's lifespan; the gap stays for years... but iridium is not a very good conductor of electricty, raising the voltage requirement of your ignition system...

A standard, (copper-core in some cases) spark plug will better conduct electricity making it easier on your ign system.

I bought and installed a B6HS in my china2stroke yesterday, and MAN! what a difference in how the bike started and ran. Very nice, indeed. Then I had a major coaster brake malfunction. The bike is dead in the water so I'm working on the brake deal next.

spark(ing) plugs

You might try the B6HV plug. Those have a fine-wire 'gold-paladium' electrode - and yes, they cost more. They are also 'immune' to fouling and last several times longer than a conventional plug.

(At least, that was what I learned riding the Kawasaki: Wet air-filter + B9HS = flooded engine within one mile. B9HV ignores fouling, and I get home on time. Then, B9HS goes 'dead' within 1K miles due to 'hot' engine. (ported 175cc RV) B9HV good for several times that.)

Note: you will need to get the 'V' plugs on-line, most likely - I recall seeing them there. The price break is *substantial* if they are bought ten at a time. (Perhaps take up a collection? No, here's a good one for that meet next year: 'Augi's Spark Plug stand')

does anyone tried this spark plugs?

Attachments

• tabla_equivalencias_bujias.JPG
    tabla_equivalencias_bujias.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,528
Great thread.

The terrible "manual" (strangely formated word doc) that came with my 80cc kit calls for a NGK BR4HS. Currently there is a Chinese cheesebo (maybe) equivalent plug in there.

I was just wondering if anyone could cross reference the NGK BR4HS to an even "better" NGK plug? OR more importantly you guys are talking of 6's and even 8's, which are cooler heat range plugs. Should I stick with a 4???

imo...i don't think you need a resistor type plug...also imo i think we want to be going cooler on the plug re: engine longevity.

ngk: lower number=hotter plug

Cooler plug = engine longevity (?)

A dumb-sounding question, followed by my rationale for asking it.

1) how will a 'cooler' plug result in greater engine longevity?

The understanding I have with spark plugs is their heat range keeps them 'cool enough to avoid preignition' - i.e, not acting like a model engine's glow plug - 'while running warm enough to not accumulate combustion deposits'.

If a spark plug is too 'hot' for a given application, it acts like a glow-plug (due to glowing electrodes, no doubt) and it does not wait for the ignition coil to supply a spark. Instead, when the compression is high enough, combustion starts (preignition) which means a cooked engine in short order.

Is that what you meant by going to colder heat-ranges?

However, a 'too cool' plug not only looks like it's been working in the coal mine (covered with soot and caked with 'goo') but it tends to stop sparking. This causes an abrupt engine stoppage, possible bad language, and rummaging in the tool pouch for a spare (you did pack one, didn't you?) and the needed tools to replace the fouled plug.

Still, however, a 'colder' plug - one heat range from stock - may be wise. The original users didn't routinely 'peg' their throttles. Based on my reading of the lists here, that's not at all rare. Sustained wide-open throttle makes for a much hotter combustion chamber compared to the putt-putt-burrrrp-putt-putt of chinese traffic.
(As told me by an eyewitness.)

Second question: is the B6HS equivalent to 'chinese stock heat range', or is it 'a bit on the colder side' referenced to the Chinese plug(s)? Is a B7HS too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back