what should i do

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by minibiker, Nov 19, 2007.

what do i do

1. give up and sell it

1 vote(s)
  2. drop more $$ into it

15 vote(s)
  3. i dont vote in polls :)

2 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. minibiker

minibiker Guest

im kind of ****ed off and dont know wat to do my bike keeps having so many problems and its really driving me nuts, yesterday i noticed a 1/4" gap in my down tube where the bolt goes thru and 3 hours later i finally git it all welded up and go for a 10 minite test ride and the bushing on the connection rod gets fried out im ready to give up and sell everything here for parts. what should i do???

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

try again and ride it a little easier next time
    these little engines will last if you are good to them
    if you work them too hard, it's suicide (they self-destruct)
  3. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I feel your pain my friend:cry::-x. I remeber the time my motor locked up, I cried. I was in a hot mosquito filled garage coverd in blood, oil gas and tears. It took a lot of help from Augi (4 hours in chat) and the rest of the group to get it running. Hugs from my kids helped a lot too.
    It was a tough way to learn about thses motors and bikes, but it was good because I'm not so uneducated and "fearful" of my bike now. I've put over 300 miles on it now, the only problems now are my mistakes.
    My 50cc came with bearings not bushings. I hope to goodness that my 70cc does.
    Good luck and we are here for you! MBc is what got me through.;)

PS. Look in the buy/sell/trade section and see if you can find some parts.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I agree that they absolutely self destruct if u ride them toooo hard,but even if u don't ride them too hard their still likely to get problems(problems of varying degrees)
    These Happy Time kits are CHEAP...their built down to a price and not up to a standard.
    My next bike(that i'm looking around for now) is going to be with a 4-stroke Honda GXH50 engine....it will cost easily twice as much but it's going to be well worth it.Small Honda 4-stroke engines have a reputation for being the best engines in the world.
    Don't give up entirely...maybe keep your bike and think about putting a better engine in it.
  5. senseibruce

senseibruce Guest

What's love got to do with it?

Someone (not me) once said, "If it has wheels it's going to give you problems.":rolleyes:

I'm big on the 10 deep breaths solution. That, and whiskey. Hang in there brother and don't give up the ship!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  6. minibiker

minibiker Guest

i was thinkin about givin up on the HT and droppin a 4 stroke 125 into a schwinn chopper bike but id need $ to do it
  7. senseibruce

senseibruce Guest

Yea bro...cheaper to keep her.
  8. minibiker

minibiker Guest

i have decided to give it 1 more chance if it blows and will cost more than $5.00 to fix it im gonna say screw it
  9. senseibruce

senseibruce Guest

...Try, try again.

That's the spirit brother! (except the last part.) The benefit of multiple bikes is, usually you can ride one while the other is down. Sucks lemons (How's that for cleaning it up Augie?:rolleyes:) when they're in need of work. Good luck and keep us posted, as I'm with you in spirit!
  10. You gotta ask yourself,"what does this bike mean to me?"

I mean is it basic transportation,or is it a fun hobby?
    Of course it's both,but is it more important to get there on the cheap,or get there enjoying all life has to offer?

If you answer "Basic transportation" then you can get to work on the cheap by buying a bus pass every month and scrap the bike.
    But if you answer "This is much more than just a hobby. This is a way of life." then the answer is obvious.
    Dax has everything you need to get her back on the road. It could take months,it may even take years,but if you are progressing in the build,if you are getting closer to riding again,then what other joy is there?
    Believe me. Once it's back on the road again,you would be so proud of yourself,the satisfaction of knowing that YOU rebuilt that little motor.
    There is no other nirvana.
  11. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Get another engine and run it with nothing but castor oil or a castor blend two stroke oil you can get from a local motorcycle performance shop. Don't worry about running the engine hard, with the best lube in your fuel, that won't be an issue. How hard is an engine running anyway? 6000-6500 rpm is not hard for a 2 stroke engine. Bushing engine's aren't new, I have a small bushing 2 stroke engine that I run at 21,000 rpm and guess what, no problems in using it for the past 20 years.
  12. Minibiker, I discovered that the amount of problems that sprang up later on both my builds was directly related to how carefully I installed each and every piece as I pulled the next part out of the engine package.

There are those that probably just grap the throttle for example and slap it on. It might fit perfectly but a lot of them need a little dremel work, added lube, even the handlebars sanded. Or the engine mounts .... some use rubber cushioning, some dont. oddly, some engines do act better with rubber .my first build loved it. My second build didn't.

But every problem that sprung up within 400 miles of break in I found, was because I could have addressed that parts needs better when i installed it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  13. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Or, save your money for a while and buy a reliable engine.
  14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i didn't like how my choices were worded, so i "didn't vote"...

if you'd like to stay with the happy-time, before you consider the cost you have to consider the required change in riding-style...the lil bangers can't handle the WOT life for long, but i've seen local proof that they'll last almost forever in the right hands.

attention to detail during install (and regular checkups) will make the experience a more enjoyable one for sure :)
  15. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

no not enough choices to vote but beleive me i have been there and more tubes,tire,front and rear berrings,several rear wheels,cranks,head set,pedal chain,clutch handle and cables,3 blown motors 1 bent frame and 2 seats. I,ve pulled my hair out kiked and cused threat'n to shoot the bike,but then i'm still riding so it's up to you what you want to do but I think if you ask any body here they will say to going even if you have to put to away for a day and not look at it:grin:
  16. minibiker

minibiker Guest

i have been to all of those places and then some exept the motors iv only had 2 of those. i have been thinkin on gittin rid of the kit and saving more to buy a decent mc. i would definitly keep it if i could afford to my problem right now is finding a bottom half of the engine i have been looking in the for sale sections and only one thing has come up but i was about 2 hours late gettin to it. the dam thing is just drivin me nuts.
  17. I'm taking a more radical approach now ... As I've posted elsewhere in here I'm in the process of converting the ChromeStallion into a poor man's ripoff of a Whizzer. (Have new pics below of the first new additions for the turn signals)

I know myself well enough to know that if I go to the extreme of an overbuild, the overall bike will simply be too great a time and money investment for me to get so mad (on those days that were mentioned above) where you just want to 'chuck the bike,engine,and all . A deliberate effort to force myself me to repair, replace, redesign, and ultimately I think, will have to try to fit a 4 stroke later on if these little 70's and parts become unavailable.

Maybe it's an odd and expensive 'sideways' way of thinking but it works for me. If I would have just kept it a bicycle with an engine,It would have been out on the curb for trash day a few times over already. I remember I was so angry over the throttle I had with no solution to a cable tube I had dumped this site in pure frustration. Your post in fact helps me feel even better about my own crazy solution, because I have felt your pain too, as others have stated above.

The signals below are from a Kawasaki if I remember right. The 3 hour battery is in the carry bag, and the switch you see allows the top rear light to run always on. The lower is a super bright LED brake light. ... Just too hard already to pitch this thing in the garbage now.One last thing ... Augi's advice is the most critical of all .... like using the wrong rod and reel for specific species of fish,so too is it important to discover once and for all the delicate 23 to 29 mph 'slot' these engines just seem to love. Pushing them WOT because we are running late, or just had a fight with the missus or whatever, is not what these engines do well or for long.

Attached Files:

18. alesterfeind

alesterfeind Guest

Surprisingly, I have had good luck with my first engine so far compared to a lot of people in here. It's a hobby for me, and it can be pricey once you buy a new bike, and pay for all the tricks we learn in here and not to mention the gas. If you really want something reliable, then buy a brand name scooter or motorcycle like Yamaha or Honda. I think most of us do the motorized bike thing because it's a do-it-yourself, customized ride. It's just fun, at least it is for me.
  19. Scottm

Scottm Guest

This got me to thinking again. Think about all the time you have invested too, not just the money. If I were to throw my bike away now, then I will have wasted hundreds of hours over the last 5 months reading and chatting on this website. Wasted hours and miles riding all over North Texas and what to say of all the people I've met here, including you.
    Now it's cold and rainy, the sun is gone when I get home from work so I seldom ride my bikes. IS it all a waste until the spring thaw?

Hang in there mini.
  20. Now it's cold and rainy, the sun is gone when I get home from work so I seldom ride my bikes. IS it all a waste until the spring thaw?

I guess we all share the cold weather problem ,no matter where we all live. It's 40 degrees here in N.California in the mornings and I guess even if you live in Hawaii, your blood is geared to feel cold there too when it goes down to the lowest normal temps outside. The poll seems to show that we all pretty much think to keep investing in it.

When I first joined this forum, one of the MODS posted an opinion that ,as you keep finding and correcting one particular build, each problem usually doesn't return. I found that to be a really accurate statement.

Looking back on both builds I have to honestly say the only problem I had that was a direct fault of product failure was a barrel end that broke off the clutch cable even though it had plenty of play. All the rest were my fault from not using Loctite, or expecting the part to perform like a top quality Motorcycle part with no pre-prepping the sloppy fit that some of the kit parts have.