What speedometer are you using?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8310
  • Start date
want the Whizzer

Would love to have the Whizzer chrome mech for my cruiser, got any
idea where to find one?

Whizzer chrome mechanical, wanted the retro look and it's accurate. Cost a little more but you get......................

I got mine from Motorbikemike. Got over 2500 miles on it now and it never wiggles or jumps. Reads steady as a rock.

got the Schwinn

Bought the Schwinn, it's 10 bucks in my neighborhood and it works well.

Easy setup too. The Bell wouldn't hold any of the initial settings must have
be broken right out of the package.

Thanks for all the input.

Cateye Velo 5s on 2 stroke. Only wish they had a light so I could check my speed at night. There are ferrite chokes you can put on the wires to eliminate emi, which may help.

Sigma 1606 L

I use a Sigma 1606 L which is wired as I had seen the notes of ignition interference with some wireless ones plus I only need one battery (CR 2032).

The Sigma has a night light and shows, trip miles, total miles, average speed, max. speed, and can be used on two different bikes with a second base and sensors.

It doesn't leave much to mess with when you slide the computer off its base. I got it on line from an outfit in San Diego for $20 - $25? I did find a couple of other ones that had night lights, so they are out there.

For night riding I generally use a small 1 watt LED head / helmet light. It was less than $5 at Big Five Sporting Goods. Runs on 3 - AAA batteries, has an elastic head band and one over the top, both adjustable. The light angle is adjustable. Runs for hours. Using it, you would not need a lighted speedo or have to take your hand off a grip to actuated the light.

At my age, eye sight isn't what it was when I was younger so I kinda went all out on a headlight. It is a Topeak 10 or 7 watt HID carbon arc. Runs 5 plus hours on its Lit-Ion rechargeable battery. Very wide beam which reaches out a long way. Has an amber lens to use in town so you won't blind the cagers. Some of our main bike paths are on the banks of irrigation canals. Water is 4' plus deep and 30 to 40' wide. Don't want to come up on something you didn't see and dump into the water to avoid a collision. The good news is most are paved and some have under passes for major streets. As they run at an angle to the streets, you can cut across and save time and distance.

Sorry, got carried away there. )

Jim

Cateye Velo 5s on 2 stroke. Only wish It had a light so I could check my speed at night. There are ferrite chokes you can put on the wires to eliminate emi, which may help.

Last edited:
Click on the link below. Amazon.com has a Schwinn for $10.00. I saw this same speedo at my local Academy Sports yesterday for $25.00. I've been using one of these for years and it seems to be good and dependable. NOTE: it has a back light so you can read it in the dark. However, I'm building a 1972Schwinn Collegiate. I'm looking for a vintage Schwinn speedo. Anyone got any links for one ?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZD3FQ/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Schwinn Spedo

I forgot, I have one of those on the electric scooter we carry when we camp, it is a good value, but I don't think ours had the temperature readout. That is handy.

Jim

Click on the link below. Amazon.com has a Schwinn for $10.00. I saw this same speedo at my local Academy Sports yesterday for $25.00. I've been using one of these for years and it seems to be good and dependable. NOTE: it has a back light so you can read it in the dark. However, I'm building a 1972Schwinn Collegiate. I'm looking for a vintage Schwinn speedo. Anyone got any links for one ?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZD3FQ/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back